Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

It's finally here - Skywards Platinum

It's finally here - Skywards Platinum

Old Feb 19th 2013, 10:00 am
BE Enthusiast

dubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: It's finally here - Skywards Platinum

Originally Posted by Miss Anne Thrope
But I think you have missed one thing in the Pt benefits though I'm not sure I have unpicked this correctly. That is that you can redeem Skywards miles on any open revenue seat (though at a mileage premium). If I have got that right, that would be by far the most significant benefit and actually meaningful to a Pt flier who would have miles to burn. Absolutely agreed, albeit I like you was having difficulty deciphering what they were actually on about with this... If it's anything like Etihad Open Seat, then it's pointless (8000000000000 miles for a one way economy ticket to Muscat etc)

Another way that I think EK is shooting itself in the foot by setting the bar so high is failing to provide an incentive to continue to consolidate flights with them once you have achieved Gold. Bang on point - 100% agreed and I've already switched carriers due to this in the past - if this was their attempt to change this then they failed! Obviously location and schedule and routes will be constraints but if you fly the equivalent of 100k tier miles per year, it would be better to spread your business and go for Gold on two different carriers.ALWAYS better to spread your custom - I'm gold across multiple carriers and it deffo makes trip planning easier as you've always got options There is almost no benefit to achieving "double Gold" on EK (certainly not those stupid dinners with trainee flight crew and the mileage discount vouchers are difficult to use) and you'd still be only 2 thirds of the way to Pt.Amen to that.

Anyway, EK has only ever done the minimum it felt it had to on FF programmes. Even the Pt was apparently precipitated by the first step in their absorption of Qantas.Agreed +1
Bang on point. Use the opportunity to status match your EK Gold to Etihad (Qatar airways won't status match) and start earning on the other carriers. Amex Plat charge card issued out of UK gives you instant Marco Polo Gold (One World Sapphire). Aegean Airlines is easiest programme to earn Star Alliance Gold and you don't even have to fly their metal.

Once QR become fully affiliated in One World next year, EK can kiss my a$$ for my business....
Old Feb 19th 2013, 10:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Theseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dubaiguy2011
Bang on point. Use the opportunity to status match your EK Gold to Etihad (Qatar airways won't status match) and start earning on the other carriers. Amex Plat charge card issued out of UK gives you instant Marco Polo Gold (One World Sapphire). Aegean Airlines is easiest programme to earn Star Alliance Gold and you don't even have to fly their metal.

Once QR become fully affiliated in One World next year, EK can kiss my a$$ for my business....
But QR are the worst airline in the world (FACT!)
Old Feb 19th 2013, 10:11 am
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Theseus
But QR are the worst airline in the world (FACT!)
No. That's US Airways. FACT! QR are a close second.
Old Feb 19th 2013, 10:13 am
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

Bang on point. Use the opportunity to status match your EK Gold to Etihad .
what do you mean?
Old Feb 19th 2013, 10:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Brains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by commander
what do you mean?
note sure if the promotion is still running, but Etihad were willing to offer gold status to anyone that could prove they were gold with another airline.
Old Feb 19th 2013, 10:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Brains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brains1983
note sure if the promotion is still running, but Etihad were willing to offer gold status to anyone that could prove they were gold with another airline.
Just checked, offer expired April 2012 (unless they have a new offer;

http://resources.etihadairways.com/e...web_04_12.html
Old Feb 19th 2013, 10:21 am
BE Enthusiast

dubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Brains1983
Correct - this promotion was last year. Irrespective, email Etihad and copy the screenshot of your EK Gold, plus a copy of your Gold card and give some patter about your future travel, how EK was your preferred carrier, but now they're a bunch of cvnts and you want to switch and use Etihad as they're awesome etc etc. They ought to status match you - i.e. give you an instant Gold status in their programme (note that EY Gold Elite is just like EK Platinum - i.e. completely unnecessary).
Old Feb 19th 2013, 10:21 am

Miss Anne Thrope is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by commander
what do you mean?
I think that was a limited time and quantity offer: if you sent Etihad evidence of your status on another carrier they would match it. As a consequence, though it's almost two years since I was on one of their aeroplanes, I have EY Gold... I do think the EY business class is better than Emirates though, all around, apart from the journey to the airport. Even though the journey time is not that much longer from the far end of Dubai to AD airport, you still have to take the highway to hell and one of the EY drivers I had was dangerously clueless - I contemplated forcibly taking the wheel myself I felt so unsafe.
Old Feb 19th 2013, 10:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by britexpat76
No. That's US Airways. FACT! QR are a close second.
It's like comparing colours of brown in the context of which diarrhea is worse...

On the basis US Airways don't claim to be a "5 Star Airline", I'm afraid QR win the worst award. They really are sh1te and their groundstaff have to pass an idiot test and a cvntish test in order to get a job.
Old Feb 19th 2013, 10:24 am

Amex Plat charge card issued out of UK gives you instant Marco Polo Gold (One World Sapphire).
Yeah I got this as well. Do you know whether, when flying BA and collecting miles (or whatever the stupid name is now) on the BA programme, can I still use this to access BA lounge?
Old Feb 19th 2013, 10:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Patsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
Surely it's not far enough to justify the money?
Last time I went to see my mother, my sister used some points and upgraded me...thank God!! Larnaca ATC went on strike, the flight was 4 hours delayed in Dubai and then, instead of going Dubai/Cyprus/Malta, it went to Malta first... thank God I had been upgraded, the flight was a nightmare and we sat in Malta for 3 hours..I finally got to my sister's house after about 21 hours waiting and travelling time
Old Feb 19th 2013, 10:28 am

It's like comparing colours of brown in the context of which diarrhea is worse...

On the basis US Airways don't claim to be a "5 Star Airline", I'm afraid QR win the worst award. They really are sh1te and their groundstaff have to pass an idiot test and a cvntish test in order to get a job.
The 5 star thing comes from the Skytrax rating by passengers. QR do a lot better than EK, for example, on that basis. The ratings for QR especially are presumably predominantly from transit passengers so perhaps many of them are not exposed to that special cutomer service Mid East magic? Though I have heard the transit experience in Doha can be awful also. I've only been in and out on other carriers and never flown QR.
Old Feb 19th 2013, 10:29 am

Originally Posted by Patsy Stoned
Last time I went to see my mother, my sister used some points and upgraded me...thank God!! Larnaca ATC went on strike, the flight was 4 hours delayed in Dubai and then, instead of going Dubai/Cyprus/Malta, it went to Malta first... thank God I had been upgraded, the flight was a nightmare and we sat in Malta for 3 hours..I finally got to my sister's house after about 21 hours waiting and travelling time
And how many bottles of biz class bubbly?
Old Feb 19th 2013, 10:32 am
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

Answering the original question, US Airways is the worst airline in the world. QR are the worst (Self appointed) 5* Airline in the world.
Old Feb 19th 2013, 10:34 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Patsy Stoned
Crumbs, that sounds lengthy.

When I fly to Dad's in Crete I normally have to go via Athens which is fine because the Maccy D's serves Heineken AND Big Macs.

Land in Chania and 9/10 there is nobody checking passports. Barmy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.