Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

It's the England World Cup qualifying thread......

It's the England World Cup qualifying thread......

Old Oct 7th 2013, 5:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute
Default It's the England World Cup qualifying thread......

........... or not qualifying, as the case may be.

Two home games to end their campaign, but they have only beaten Moldova (twice) and San Marino (twice) so far, which makes Montenegro and Poland seem rather more daunting than it should.

One thing is clear - with Ukraine due to play San Marino, England's seven-goals-better goal difference will probably disappear. And it seems likely they will need six points out of six to top the group (because that's what Ukraine will get).

Why do we always make this so difficult for ourselves?

[Answer - because we are not good enough to qualify easily.......]
Old Oct 7th 2013, 6:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

nottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: It's the England World Cup qualifying thread......

But the thing is - we're usually pretty good when it comes to qualifying. It's just when we get to the actual tournament, we're crap.

I can't understand why we've been in the top ten FIFA World Rankings for years - we haven't won anything since '66.
Old Oct 7th 2013, 6:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nottmbantam
But the thing is - we're usually pretty good when it comes to qualifying. It's just when we get to the actual tournament, we're crap.

I can't understand why we've been in the top ten FIFA World Rankings for years - we haven't won anything since '66.
Ahem, ahem........... cough, cough.............

http://www.fifa.com/worldranking/ran...le/index.html#

[Haven't been in the Top Ten for many months......]
Old Oct 7th 2013, 6:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

On the point about qualifying, it is ironic that it is usually England's brilliant away record that gets us there - only four away defeats, I think, in either WC or Euro qualifying since failing to qualify for USA 1994. We have again completed this campaign without an away defeat.
Old Oct 7th 2013, 6:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

nottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I know we've fallen spectacularly from the top ten. The point I was making, was that for years and years, we were hovering around 5th / 6th place. Why?

The other countries around us at that time, had all won the World Cup / Euro's in recent-ish years, or at least reached the Final. Germany, Brazil, France etc

Last time I looked, we were about 17th (haven't looked at the link above) - feels about right to me.
Old Oct 7th 2013, 6:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Yes I know we've fallen spectacularly from the top ten. The point I was making, was that for years and years, we were hovering around 5th / 6th place. Why?

The other countries around us at that time, had all won the World Cup / Euro's in recent-ish years, or at least reached the Final. Germany, Brazil, France etc

Last time I looked, we were about 17th (haven't looked at the link above) - feels about right to me.
You ask why? Easy.............

http://www.fifa.com/worldranking/pro...ure/index.html

............ er.............. um..............
Old Oct 8th 2013, 4:55 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

We're going to **** it up. Properly.
Old Oct 8th 2013, 6:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Scamp
We're going to **** it up. Properly.
I fear you may be right.

All the media are screaming for Sturridge to get a game, but Rooney is fit so that may not happen. I prefer Leighton Baines to Ashley Cole though, so that will help.

Ukraine will beat Poland and San Marino though - that will give them 21 points. England cannot get 21 points (only 20 or 22) so as I said two wins will be needed.

A play-off doesn't bear thinking about, considering which other teams look likely to finish second: Croatia, Sweden, Portugal/Russia, Bosnia-Herzegovina/Greece..........

........... so - six points please, England. You haven't beaten anyone yet who's any good, so now is the time to step up.............
Old Oct 8th 2013, 6:23 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by The Dean
time to step up.............
The current crop don't do that.

What are the odds on Rooney putting a shift in like he has been for United? I mean really putting a work rate in like he's a man possessed? Not just him, but any of them.

If Gary Cahill is anywhere near the ****ing pitch I'm turning the TV off.
Old Oct 8th 2013, 6:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Gary Cahill? I'm the same regarding Danny Wellbeck. He's just soo....average. Don't get it. Over hyped in
Old Oct 8th 2013, 6:57 am
BE Enthusiast

the_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond repute

As an outsider looking in, and trying to be genuinely objective *cough*, I think this is the weakest England team/squad from back to front for many a year. The reliable, if unspectacular at international level, backbone of Ferdinand, Terry, Gerard and Lampard are gone or past their best, and their replacements are pedestrian. The likes of Cahill, Cleverly and Wellbeck are far from international class, and with Walcott being fit for about 50% of matches and turning up for about 1 in 4 of them there’s a real lack of pace and creative cutting edge. A lot is going to ride on Rooney’s shoulders in the two games, and that could mean he’ll either have a blinder or get over excited and sent off.

I think winning both games is a tall order, if either Montenegro or Poland decide to sit in and make life difficult breaking them down could be a tall order. And, can Hart be relied upon to keep a clean sheet on current form…? Interesting week of footy ahead, should be some decent value available at the bookies too.
Old Oct 8th 2013, 7:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by the_red_sheep
As an outsider looking in, and trying to be genuinely objective *cough*, I think this is the weakest England team/squad from back to front for many a year. The reliable, if unspectacular at international level, backbone of Ferdinand, Terry, Gerard and Lampard are gone or past their best, and their replacements are pedestrian. The likes of Cahill, Cleverly and Wellbeck are far from international class, and with Walcott being fit for about 50% of matches and turning up for about 1 in 4 of them there’s a real lack of pace and creative cutting edge. A lot is going to ride on Rooney’s shoulders in the two games, and that could mean he’ll either have a blinder or get over excited and sent off.

I think winning both games is a tall order, if either Montenegro or Poland decide to sit in and make life difficult breaking them down could be a tall order. And, can Hart be relied upon to keep a clean sheet on current form…? Interesting week of footy ahead, should be some decent value available at the bookies too.
Interesting - but the fact that both Montenegro and Poland can still qualify, but need to win, may help England. If Poland can pick up six points from away games v Ukraine and England, they will deserve to qualify - but even that may only be good enough to finish second.
Old Oct 8th 2013, 7:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Right, I'm off to spend time examine the current table. It's a slow work day...
Old Oct 8th 2013, 7:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Here it is...............
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Table.pdf (40.9 KB, 479 views)
Old Oct 8th 2013, 7:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Sandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond repute

Who cares ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.