British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   It's "The Dean's Apartment Challenge" (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/its-deans-apartment-challenge-741994/)

The Dean Dec 15th 2011 11:38 am

It's "The Dean's Apartment Challenge"

OK - over to you................

I have AED 130,000 to spend on renting an unfurnished 3-bedroom flat - your best recommendations please?

[and don't tell me it's going to cost more than that, as I won't believe you]

mentalist Dec 15th 2011 11:42 am

Re: It's "The Dean's Apartment Challenge"

Bukhatir Tower, The Corniche, Sharjah:)

The Dean Dec 15th 2011 11:50 am

Originally Posted by mentalist (Post 9790108)
Bukhatir Tower, The Corniche, Sharjah:)

I said 130,000, not 13,000............ anyone else? Marina? Business Bay? I'm open to suggestions...........

Blue Cat Dec 15th 2011 12:38 pm

API Tower in Tecom

LaLaLayla Dec 15th 2011 2:19 pm

Al Seef II in JLT.

lullabelle Dec 15th 2011 6:35 pm

Depending on the cheque number you could get a 3bed "central park" side in shoreline on the palm. Prices must have dropped since the beach access debacle. There was one going for 135,000 when I was looking, 1st floor though.

scrubbedexpat141 Dec 18th 2011 9:03 am

4 bed two storey penthouse in JLT Indigo is about 140k so should be loads of monster places like that?

Hello.Kitty Dec 18th 2011 10:19 am

3 bedrooms in The Waves in the Marina are advertised (when they come up) for 140-150k, so you could get one of them. Also try Ocean Heights opposite Barasti - same facilities as The Waves, but newer.

Had a little tear in my eye when I locked the door to our apartment there for the last time. Really nice building, great facilities, good guards and cleaners and our flat only had one maintenance issue in the 2-and-a-bit years we were there.

Hello.Kitty Dec 18th 2011 10:21 am

Originally Posted by lullabelle (Post 9790883)
Prices must have dropped since the beach access debacle.

That's ongoing though, isn't it? I have a friend who lives there and from what she says, it's such a complicated mess and stand-off that really, the only resolution is for the tenants to get out.

Bahtatboy Dec 18th 2011 10:39 am

140k for 2,000ft2 2-bed in the Burj. Pay the 5k extra and tell the brat/spouse/lover/maid/punkawhalla to sleep in the hallway. Sorted.

lullabelle Dec 18th 2011 11:00 am

Is is a complete and utter mess. They have introduced this temporary pass measure... But you can't get them unless you hand over pictures, documents, NOC's etc etc. And most importantly, your landlord has paid his/her service charges. If your landlord is in arrears there is no hope of getting either a temporary pass or one of the new paid-for memberships. Which should come off the rent as the service charges are being dropped in order for this to happen.

My own landlord is in arrears of 76,300 dhs. I reckon the chances of her paying this back anytime soon is pretty slim. About as slim as Nakheel making a profit this year. Luckily my apartment is managed by a decent Estate Agency - all my cheques went to them so I'm assuming they have to intervene in some way here or sort out a resolve.

The shoreline owners association is in dispute with nakheel over ownership of the common land and whether they simply change their minds over beach access. RERA has still not made a decision on the matter.

In the meantime, we all suffer. Except the very lucky people who own and have paid their service charges or rent off someone who has. As it is, almost my whole building is in arrears according to the list by reception.

Nice.

Hello.Kitty Dec 18th 2011 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by lullabelle (Post 9795023)
Is is a complete and utter mess. They have introduced this temporary pass measure... But you can't get them unless you hand over pictures, documents, NOC's etc etc. And most importantly, your landlord has paid his/her service charges. If your landlord is in arrears there is no hope of getting either a temporary pass or one of the new paid-for memberships. Which should come off the rent as the service charges are being dropped in order for this to happen.

My own landlord is in arrears of 76,300 dhs. I reckon the chances of her paying this back anytime soon is pretty slim. About as slim as Nakheel making a profit this year. Luckily my apartment is managed by a decent Estate Agency - all my cheques went to them so I'm assuming they have to intervene in some way here or sort out a resolve.

The shoreline owners association is in dispute with nakheel over ownership of the common land and whether they simply change their minds over beach access. RERA has still not made a decision on the matter.

In the meantime, we all suffer. Except the very lucky people who own and have paid their service charges or rent off someone who has. As it is, almost my whole building is in arrears according to the list by reception.

Nice.

that's pretty much the story of everywhere... aside from tenants being doubly charged for the facilities. My old building posted up that they were owed slightly over 2million... but still managed to maintain decently, even if the flash external lighting hasn't been on in nearly 2 years.

The Dean Dec 19th 2011 1:55 am

Nice.

They publish a list??? As you say........ nice. Name and shame, that's what I say.....

NorthernLad Dec 19th 2011 4:35 am

Nice.

Seems to be getting worse. We're back home until the new year, so will see what happens when we get back. Luckily our rent is up in February.

http://www.arabianbusiness.com/nakhe...bs-435730.html

LaLaLayla Dec 19th 2011 4:42 am

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 9795822)
They publish a list??? As you say........ nice. Name and shame, that's what I say.....

It was the same in our apartment in JLT. There was a list in the elevator of all the bad people who had not paid the Service Charge.