Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

It's the A380 Door Opens at 27,000 Feet Thread

It's the A380 Door Opens at 27,000 Feet Thread

Old Feb 16th 2013, 1:21 pm
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute
Default It's the A380 Door Opens at 27,000 Feet Thread

Though, to be fair, it doesn't look as bad as they're making out. I'd probably still be needing new underwear.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...st_read_module
Old Feb 16th 2013, 1:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: It's the A380 Door Opens at 27,000 Feet Thread

Originally Posted by littlejimmy
Though, to be fair, it doesn't look as bad as they're making out. I'd probably still be needing new underwear.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...st_read_module
Emirates deny it!
Old Feb 16th 2013, 2:01 pm
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

uuumm, leaking door seal making a bit of noise. Door did not open hence no explosive decompression or oxygen masks dropping down. Don't panic Mr Mainwaring!
Old Feb 16th 2013, 2:08 pm
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikewot
uuumm, leaking door seal making a bit of noise. Door did not open hence no explosive decompression or oxygen masks dropping down. Don't panic Mr Mainwaring!
Indeed. Doors can't actually open when the cabin is pressurised, or so I am told.
Old Feb 16th 2013, 2:09 pm
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikewot
Yea, but let's overdramatise it, get the press involved and I'm sure emirates will slip you a few hundered thousand airmiles...

Mind you, I'm a sailor, I'd have pooped me pants
Old Feb 16th 2013, 2:28 pm
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

Correct. The doors open in and the cabin is pressurised. So how could low pressure outside make the door explode inwards :-) Also the blanket trick has been used for years, DC10 was very prone to leaking seals. You wet the blanket, tuck it round the door and the cold air freezes it in place, with any luck sealing the leak.
I was disappointed that the captain never saved the aircraft from plunging to destruction. I liked the hostie hiding under her seat, she must have been more than ultra petite.
Old Feb 16th 2013, 3:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

seven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond repute

Really? The Daily Fail crowing about something bad happening to one of the world's most successful airlines ?

They just love it when somebody messes up. Schadenfreude.
Old Feb 16th 2013, 4:11 pm
Excess Baggage

Originally Posted by seven seas
Really? The Daily Fail crowing about something bad happening to one of the world's most successful airlines ?

They just love it when somebody messes up. Schadenfreude.
That's about the size of it, I guess.
Old Feb 16th 2013, 6:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Beakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to behold

and I only just got over my fear of flying!

Oh wait, "fear," something the Daily Fail considers in their daily meeting achievement tally after going to print (so I've heard from one of their 'contributors')
Old Feb 17th 2013, 2:37 am
Account Closed

Lets try and put things into perspective. Planes from different countries fly over different countries and there is obviously a risk that those planes could crash. Nobody wants that and you especially wouldn't want a plane from a foreign country crashing on your country.
There are international conventions, agreements and standards in fact what is called a contract between nations and every country in the world (except South Yemen & TRNC) has signed the contract about the certification of planes. Basically the contract states that flying must produce no more chance of dying than you would normally expect. The WHO states that the average age is 75 which works out as 1 fatality every 657,000 hours. The standard for aircraft manufacturers (and every bit of kit that makes up a plane) is 1 fatality every 1,000,000 hours. Therefore it is 50% safer to fly, if you believe statistics. Each year there are between 600 - 1200 fatalities from flying, which is less fatalities of any mode of transportation than using a lift.
Old Feb 17th 2013, 2:38 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Beakersful
and I only just got over my fear of flying!
It's not a fear of flying because flying is perfectly safe and the statistics bear that out. It's the fear of the consequences of an accident when flying
Old Feb 17th 2013, 3:27 am

Miss Anne Thrope is an unknown quantity at this point

I am sure the Fail is over-dramatising the incident but I am not exactly soothed by Emirates' response which, if I can roughly characterise, can be summarised as follows based on radio news and Gulf Snooze reports:

Shut up liar, nothing happened! And anyway what happened was not like what you said. And anyway don't worry about it because we are looking into it anyway and everything will be alright anyway because you can trust us. And anyway nothing happened. Now please go away and talk about something else.
Old Feb 17th 2013, 3:34 am
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Miss Anne Thrope
Shut up liar, nothing happened! And anyway what happened was not like what you said. And anyway don't worry about it because we are looking into it anyway and everything will be alright anyway because you can trust us. And anyway nothing happened. Now please go away and talk about something else.
That is exactly the way i interpreted the report on the radio this morning.
Old Feb 17th 2013, 3:53 am
Forum Regular

AppleMac is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Miss Anne Thrope

Didn't see Emirates response but it is basically correct. The 380 does have problems with door seals leaking (most aircraft have similar issues), it is not a safety issue and silly stories like this are simply fiction.
Old Feb 17th 2013, 3:56 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

I dunno guys. It can't be a good thing for a seal to leak.

I mean, if piss was coming out the side of my knob I wouldn't just wrap it in a blanket and pretend all was cool.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.