Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Italy holiday- where to stay

Italy holiday- where to stay

Old Jun 1st 2015, 6:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Rubydo has a reputation beyond reputeRubydo has a reputation beyond reputeRubydo has a reputation beyond reputeRubydo has a reputation beyond reputeRubydo has a reputation beyond reputeRubydo has a reputation beyond reputeRubydo has a reputation beyond reputeRubydo has a reputation beyond reputeRubydo has a reputation beyond reputeRubydo has a reputation beyond reputeRubydo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Italy holiday- where to stay

Originally Posted by al dente
Spagna means Spain, so just by the spanish steps. Personally, i prefer to be away from all the shopping. I quite like travestere too, but do prefer to be on the other side of the tiber.

I agree with DXB's car comments. Really no need. Train from Rome down to Naples, taxi ride of death, then ferry to Capri (again, note advice to go to the Blue Grotto in the evening, when there are no boats only bus).

Ferry down to sorrento, trip to Pompeii etc, train up to Florence.

My husband wants to go back to Capri from Le Marche and writing this almost makes me want to too!!

Thanks will look into all info given
Old Jun 1st 2015, 7:04 am
BE Forum Addict

mentalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond repute

Have you tried posting on the Italy Forum? I suspect that expats living there may know a little more about getting around Italy than us lot.
Old Jun 1st 2015, 7:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Rubydo has a reputation beyond reputeRubydo has a reputation beyond reputeRubydo has a reputation beyond reputeRubydo has a reputation beyond reputeRubydo has a reputation beyond reputeRubydo has a reputation beyond reputeRubydo has a reputation beyond reputeRubydo has a reputation beyond reputeRubydo has a reputation beyond reputeRubydo has a reputation beyond reputeRubydo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mentalist
Have you tried posting on the Italy Forum? I suspect that expats living there may know a little more about getting around Italy than us lot.
No didn't think of that thanks, I've got some great info from this forum for now tho
Old Jun 1st 2015, 7:38 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by mentalist
Was just about to say this.
Old Jun 1st 2015, 12:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond repute

Hotel Forte 872
Spagna, Rome (in city center) – Subway Access

Just a 3-minute walk from the Spanish Steps, Hotel Forte is located in Via Margutta, made famous in the movie Roman Holiday. It offers traditional, air-conditioned rooms with LCD TV.
Stayed here for 2 weeks in 2009 at Easter. Minutes walk from the Trevi, Spanish steps etc etc. Small rooms but hey you're only sleeping there. Noisy at night due to revellers going home late but very comfortable.
Old Jun 1st 2015, 12:23 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Stayed in Tuscany a few years ago with my family. 5 nights in a converted farmhouse: great on-site restaurant, plus a few small towns in the vicinity, all with great restaurants and other attractions. Then 3 days in Florence, found an apartment near the river--was great for us since hotels get expensive with 5 of us (usually 3 rooms). Can't remember how I found them, 'cept it was on the internet (useful, hey?).

Absolutely beautiful part of the world, and Lucca's entrancing.

Driving's not so bad--a local explained that much of the madness has gone as a result of strict rule enforcement and Italy's economic problems. Get a satnav, though...
Old Jun 1st 2015, 2:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
Stayed in Tuscany a few years ago with my family. 5 nights in a converted farmhouse: great on-site restaurant, plus a few small towns in the vicinity, all with great restaurants and other attractions. Then 3 days in Florence, found an apartment near the river--was great for us since hotels get expensive with 5 of us (usually 3 rooms). Can't remember how I found them, 'cept it was on the internet (useful, hey?).

Absolutely beautiful part of the world, and Lucca's entrancing.

Driving's not so bad--a local explained that much of the madness has gone as a result of strict rule enforcement and Italy's economic problems. Get a satnav, though...
Thanks, much more useful than some :-)
Will be staying in Florence but just need to decide where, I'm looking at two places but can't remember their names ha.
As for driving, thanks filled me with much more confidence, will have a drive to Lucca as it looks stunning
Old Jun 1st 2015, 7:47 pm
hnd
BE Forum Addict

hnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond repute

For a hotel in Rome you could look here but It's a long time since we stayed here but if it's still as reasonably priced as it was then it's in a great situation just off the Piazza della Rotunda ( or whatever it is called, the square by the Pantheon). Used to just be a B&B hotel, very popular with politicians so was often good value at weekends when they went home:

Albergo Hotel Santa Chiara Roma

You can walk everywhere you want from this hotel because it is really well situated. As I say, it's been a long time since we stayed there but it was good then so,could be worth checking out
Old Jun 2nd 2015, 2:10 am
Forum Regular

MAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond repute

If you're going to drive, I wonder if the App called Waze is available in Italy, just back from 3 weeks driving around the western side of the US, it's a great app.

I'm off to Rome in August, will be staying here for a week - Rome Cavalieri (I'm not paying the bill though )
Old Jun 2nd 2015, 3:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by hnd
For a hotel in Rome you could look here but It's a long time since we stayed here but if it's still as reasonably priced as it was then it's in a great situation just off the Piazza della Rotunda ( or whatever it is called, the square by the Pantheon). Used to just be a B&B hotel, very popular with politicians so was often good value at weekends when they went home:

Albergo Hotel Santa Chiara Roma

You can walk everywhere you want from this hotel because it is really well situated. As I say, it's been a long time since we stayed there but it was good then so,could be worth checking out
Thanks will check it out 😊
Old Jun 2nd 2015, 3:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MAV_DXB
If you're going to drive, I wonder if the App called Waze is available in Italy, just back from 3 weeks driving around the western side of the US, it's a great app.

I'm off to Rome in August, will be staying here for a week - Rome Cavalieri (I'm not paying the bill though )
I will download the app and then see once there if it works. Google maps is usually pretty good when we go away but will see if the one u suggested works. Not heard of it b4.

Nice to not be footing the bill. Most hotels I've found are reasonably priced to be honest
Old Jun 2nd 2015, 5:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks all for the suggestions, 1st hotel booked in Rome :-) Navona Colors Hotel, Via Dell'Orso
Old Jun 2nd 2015, 5:36 pm
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rubydo
Morning all,

I am trying to plan my summer holiday to Italy and so far got the flight booked! Does anyone have any recommendations for places to stay, itinerary as follows:
Fly to Naples
Pick up a hire car
Drive the Amalfi Coast - where to stay?
Drive up to Rome - where to stay in the centre?
Drive up to Tuscany - again where to stay fairly central?

Any advice on good locations and things to do and see would be of great help.

Thanks in advance
Why not post on the Italy forum? Several members run holiday let's etc.
Old Jun 2nd 2015, 5:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 37100
Why not post on the Italy forum? Several members run holiday let's etc.
Thanks a few people have suggested this too. I've got some good info thus far but if I become unstuck I will post on there. I have the airbnb app but not keen to be staying in what look like people's houses , but that's probably just me being strange
Old Jun 3rd 2015, 3:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Pongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond repute

Don't stop at a red light, the Italian behind will not be expecting it...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.