British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Italian 'con man' in ABu Dhabi (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/italian-con-man-abu-dhabi-655269/)

Shat Fink Feb 17th 2010 11:20 am

Italian 'con man' in ABu Dhabi

Has anyone else been accosted by an Italian guy in a car usually around Abu Dhabi corniche.

He normally asks what the quickest way to Dubai is then brings out some speel about having done a clothes show and having extra suits he has to sell before he heads back to Italy for tax reasons. He then will try and sell you a suit from his car.

Its happened to me twice and a few of my friends over the space of couple of years, not sure what the con is but bound to be one.

He cant just be selling knock off suits as i dont see how he would make any money, normally in a decent enough but non discript car. One friend who went the furthest with it was asked if he would "buy an IPhone for the suit as its my daughters birthday".

All quite bizarre.

Jim Smith Feb 17th 2010 11:26 am

Re: Italian 'con man' in ABu Dhabi

Originally Posted by Shat Fink (Post 8350395)
Has anyone else been accosted by an Italian guy in a car usually around Abu Dhabi corniche.

He normally asks what the quickest way to Dubai is then brings out some speel about having done a clothes show and having extra suits he has to sell before he heads back to Italy for tax reasons. He then will try and sell you a suit from his car.

Its happened to me twice and a few of my friends over the space of couple of years, not sure what the con is but bound to be one.

He cant just be selling knock off suits as i dont see how he would make any money, normally in a decent enough but non discript car. One friend who went the furthest with it was asked if he would "buy an IPhone for the suit as its my daughters birthday".

All quite bizarre.

There has been one or more of those in Dubai for years!! Met one in JBR recently.

Roadking Feb 17th 2010 11:33 am

Yep, been around for years. My noobie colleague bought 3 suits from him and, to be fair, they are not bad and only cost 1'000 AED for three. Reasonable material and look nicely tailored.

Didn't have my colour, though.

lionheart Feb 17th 2010 11:55 am

My boss was knabbed by him outside Wafi once but he didn't have one his size.;)

alitrist Feb 17th 2010 12:54 pm

its probably not a con as such as they might just be stolen goods the guy is trying to shift quickly....

Lorna at Vicenza Feb 17th 2010 1:04 pm

Nobody would come back to Italy for tax reasons ....... here they are all trying to work out ways to avoid the high taxes - on everything!

alitrist Feb 17th 2010 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza (Post 8350798)
Nobody would come back to Italy for tax reasons ....... here they are all trying to work out ways to avoid the high taxes - on everything!

there is a way in Italy to pay less taxes: that is to marry under the regime of separation of property and wealth. My priest suggested my husband and I to sign this document when we got married just in case we decide to go back to Italy one day and so wouldnt have to declare our income as a whole and therefore wouldnt get taxed the full amount.

Confucius Feb 17th 2010 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by Shat Fink (Post 8350395)

All quite bizarre.

It's the same guy, he has a branch in Abu Dhabi now...

I first met him in 2004, then 2005...Last time was in 2007, Bank street Bur Dubai...

He sells other stuff too; second time I saw him my friend bought a Versace bedroom covers/duvets/etc set from him...AED900 it was...Cheap cheap...

spart Feb 17th 2010 2:35 pm

Ran into him the other day in Al Nahyan, near the One to One. About 175cm, skinny, bald guy with good English.

His mate sat in the car, while he wasted 10 min of my time asking for directions to get back onto Airport Road.

Said he was a Designer for Armani or something, and had stock left from a showing at Emirates Palace, and didnt want to take them back to Milan.

$500 for an Armani suit. Seemed cheap, and very suss - so walked away.

Confucius Feb 17th 2010 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by spart (Post 8351040)
Ran into him the other day in Al Nahyan, near the One to One. About 175cm, skinny, bald guy with good English.

His mate sat in the car, while he wasted 10 min of my time asking for directions to get back onto Airport Road.

Said he was a Designer for Armani or something, and had stock left from a showing at Emirates Palace, and didnt want to take them back to Milan.

$500 for an Armani suit. Seemed cheap, and very suss - so walked away.

They're Napolitans...They know where you live...Look over your shoulders from now on...

Madam Medusa Feb 17th 2010 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by Roadking (Post 8350436)
Yep, been around for years. My noobie colleague bought 3 suits from him and, to be fair, they are not bad and only cost 1'000 AED for three. Reasonable material and look nicely tailored.

Didn't have my colour, though.

but how on earth do you try the stuff on...? can't imagine buying some dodgy suit from a man in a van...

MM, xx

benzonar Feb 17th 2010 3:34 pm

Seen them a few times in the UK, always the same story.

Depending how much time I have I normally string them along for a bit, then I pretend I'm gay and ask him if he would like to engage in some rough anal sex. Only once have they said yes - but I did get a free suit out of it.

Confucius Feb 17th 2010 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by benzonar (Post 8351220)
Seen them a few times in the UK, always the same story.

Depending how much time I have I normally string them along for a bit, then I pretend I'm gay and ask him if he would like to engage in some rough anal sex. Only once have they said yes - but I did get a free suit out of it.

How was it???

benzonar Feb 17th 2010 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by Confucius (Post 8351224)
How was it???

Not bad, although the fit was a bit tight across the shoulders.

Confucius Feb 17th 2010 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by benzonar (Post 8351232)
Not bad, although the fit was a bit tight across the shoulders.

You know what I was referring to...