Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Italian 'con man' in ABu Dhabi

Italian 'con man' in ABu Dhabi

Old Feb 17th 2010, 11:20 am
Forum Regular

Shat Fink will become famous soon enough
Default Italian 'con man' in ABu Dhabi

Has anyone else been accosted by an Italian guy in a car usually around Abu Dhabi corniche.

He normally asks what the quickest way to Dubai is then brings out some speel about having done a clothes show and having extra suits he has to sell before he heads back to Italy for tax reasons. He then will try and sell you a suit from his car.

Its happened to me twice and a few of my friends over the space of couple of years, not sure what the con is but bound to be one.

He cant just be selling knock off suits as i dont see how he would make any money, normally in a decent enough but non discript car. One friend who went the furthest with it was asked if he would "buy an IPhone for the suit as its my daughters birthday".

All quite bizarre.
Old Feb 17th 2010, 11:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Jim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Italian 'con man' in ABu Dhabi

Originally Posted by Shat Fink
Has anyone else been accosted by an Italian guy in a car usually around Abu Dhabi corniche.

He normally asks what the quickest way to Dubai is then brings out some speel about having done a clothes show and having extra suits he has to sell before he heads back to Italy for tax reasons. He then will try and sell you a suit from his car.

Its happened to me twice and a few of my friends over the space of couple of years, not sure what the con is but bound to be one.

He cant just be selling knock off suits as i dont see how he would make any money, normally in a decent enough but non discript car. One friend who went the furthest with it was asked if he would "buy an IPhone for the suit as its my daughters birthday".

All quite bizarre.
There has been one or more of those in Dubai for years!! Met one in JBR recently.
Old Feb 17th 2010, 11:33 am
If I have to explain...

Roadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, been around for years. My noobie colleague bought 3 suits from him and, to be fair, they are not bad and only cost 1'000 AED for three. Reasonable material and look nicely tailored.

Didn't have my colour, though.
Old Feb 17th 2010, 11:55 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

My boss was knabbed by him outside Wafi once but he didn't have one his size.
Old Feb 17th 2010, 12:54 pm
Forum Regular

alitrist is an unknown quantity at this point

its probably not a con as such as they might just be stolen goods the guy is trying to shift quickly....
Old Feb 17th 2010, 1:04 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Nobody would come back to Italy for tax reasons ....... here they are all trying to work out ways to avoid the high taxes - on everything!
Old Feb 17th 2010, 1:23 pm
Forum Regular

alitrist is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
Nobody would come back to Italy for tax reasons ....... here they are all trying to work out ways to avoid the high taxes - on everything!
there is a way in Italy to pay less taxes: that is to marry under the regime of separation of property and wealth. My priest suggested my husband and I to sign this document when we got married just in case we decide to go back to Italy one day and so wouldnt have to declare our income as a whole and therefore wouldnt get taxed the full amount.
Old Feb 17th 2010, 1:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Confucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shat Fink

All quite bizarre.
It's the same guy, he has a branch in Abu Dhabi now...

I first met him in 2004, then 2005...Last time was in 2007, Bank street Bur Dubai...

He sells other stuff too; second time I saw him my friend bought a Versace bedroom covers/duvets/etc set from him...AED900 it was...Cheap cheap...
Old Feb 17th 2010, 2:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

spart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud of

Ran into him the other day in Al Nahyan, near the One to One. About 175cm, skinny, bald guy with good English.

His mate sat in the car, while he wasted 10 min of my time asking for directions to get back onto Airport Road.

Said he was a Designer for Armani or something, and had stock left from a showing at Emirates Palace, and didnt want to take them back to Milan.

$500 for an Armani suit. Seemed cheap, and very suss - so walked away.
Old Feb 17th 2010, 3:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Confucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spart
Ran into him the other day in Al Nahyan, near the One to One. About 175cm, skinny, bald guy with good English.

His mate sat in the car, while he wasted 10 min of my time asking for directions to get back onto Airport Road.

Said he was a Designer for Armani or something, and had stock left from a showing at Emirates Palace, and didnt want to take them back to Milan.

$500 for an Armani suit. Seemed cheap, and very suss - so walked away.
They're Napolitans...They know where you live...Look over your shoulders from now on...
Old Feb 17th 2010, 3:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Roadking
Yep, been around for years. My noobie colleague bought 3 suits from him and, to be fair, they are not bad and only cost 1'000 AED for three. Reasonable material and look nicely tailored.

Didn't have my colour, though.
but how on earth do you try the stuff on...? can't imagine buying some dodgy suit from a man in a van...

MM, xx
Old Feb 17th 2010, 3:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

benzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond repute

Seen them a few times in the UK, always the same story.

Depending how much time I have I normally string them along for a bit, then I pretend I'm gay and ask him if he would like to engage in some rough anal sex. Only once have they said yes - but I did get a free suit out of it.
Old Feb 17th 2010, 3:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by benzonar
Seen them a few times in the UK, always the same story.

Depending how much time I have I normally string them along for a bit, then I pretend I'm gay and ask him if he would like to engage in some rough anal sex. Only once have they said yes - but I did get a free suit out of it.
How was it???
Old Feb 17th 2010, 3:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

benzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Confucius
How was it???
Not bad, although the fit was a bit tight across the shoulders.
Old Feb 17th 2010, 3:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by benzonar
Not bad, although the fit was a bit tight across the shoulders.
You know what I was referring to...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.