British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Islamic Justice, Iranian style........... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/islamic-justice-iranian-style-592688/)

The Dean Feb 20th 2009 5:47 am

Islamic Justice, Iranian style...........

Warning: Not pleasant............. :ohmy:

http://edition.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/me...tim/index.html

Shadya Feb 20th 2009 6:03 am

Re: Islamic Justice, Iranian style...........

And your point is? Very little wrong with the justice system there, surely? As for the original crime, a worse incident occurred in the USA this week. A TV executive allegedly beheaded his wife for filing for divorce. It's not simply an Iranian thing.

The Dean Feb 20th 2009 6:04 am

Originally Posted by Shadya (Post 7303810)
And your point is? Very little wrong with the justice system there, surely? As for the original crime, a worse incident occurred in the USA this week. A TV executive allegedly beheaded his wife for filing for divorce. It's not simply an Iranian thing.

The TV exec didn't use the Koran as his excuse or justification.

This woman did ........... and the court has ruled in her favour, even overturning his appeal.

Charismatic Feb 20th 2009 6:39 am

I could understand XX years behind bars and being forced to cover medical expenses TBH. Not sure about the acid thing but I suppose they don't have laws covering "cruel and unusual" punishments?

IndieG Feb 20th 2009 8:01 am

Believe me, when I read about heinous crimes being committed against little children, I can think of far more cruel and unusual punishments.

Blue Cat Feb 20th 2009 8:13 am

Originally Posted by IndieG (Post 7304118)
Believe me, when I read about heinous crimes being committed against little children, I can think of far more cruel and unusual punishments.

:thumbup: same here

Porky Pig Feb 20th 2009 8:14 am

Originally Posted by Shadya (Post 7303810)

What you fail to point out is the couple concerned were Pakistani immigrants who had started up the Bridges TV channel with a remit of "seeking to improve the image of Muslims in the United States" !!
Maybe not simply an Iranian thing but there is a link however tenuous.

Inselaffen Feb 20th 2009 8:34 am

same thing had happened to the steward in the hotel we got married at in Sri Lanka. his wife's brother didnt think he was good enough to marry his sister so he threw acid in hs face. the guy lost 1 eye and had bad scaring on his hands and face!
his sister still went ahead and married him though!

AnotherWorld Feb 20th 2009 10:19 am

Muslims please correct me if im wrong but doesnt islamic justice dictate "an eye for an eye"?

Anyway I believe arguing out different beliefs between islamic justice and secular justice will never ever mesh no matter how hard we try. Muslims believe God's word (the quran etc) which obviously will never change. Us seculars believe we improve things with our own intellectual and ethical evolution and, according to muslims, therein lies our weakness, because God is never wrong.

The Dean Feb 20th 2009 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by AnotherWorld (Post 7304432)
Muslims please correct me if im wrong but doesnt islamic justice dictate "an eye for an eye"?

Anyway I believe arguing out different beliefs between islamic justice and secular justice will never ever mesh no matter how hard we try. Muslims believe God's word (the quran etc) which obviously will never change. Us seculars believe we improve things with our own intellectual and ethical evolution and, according to muslims, therein lies our weakness, because God is never wrong.

"An eye for an eye"???

I thought that was The Bible, yet another great religious novel.............

littlejimmy Feb 20th 2009 1:59 pm

That would be the Old Testament, which is still seen as the word of God by Islam, I believe.

Charismatic Feb 20th 2009 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 7304951)
"An eye for an eye"???

I thought that was The Bible, yet another great religious novel.............

Look up verse 5:45 of the Qu'ran (which I know you keep to hand ;)).

Exodus 21:23 in the King James Bible.

Matthew 5:38 refers to this as well but in a different way as he contradicts the old testament.

The Dean Feb 20th 2009 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by Charismatic (Post 7305011)

Matthew 5:38 refers to this as well but in a different way as he contradicts the old testament.

"An eye for an eye" was also mentioned in "Biggles In The Orient" by Capt WE Johns........

littlejimmy Feb 20th 2009 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by Charismatic (Post 7305011)

Any Christian worth his pillar of salt will tell you that Christ "fulfulled" the Laws of Moses et al, so they don't apply any more. But in other verses Christ says that the old laws still stand. Confusing...

Worldismine Feb 20th 2009 2:56 pm

Yes Islamic justice, beats the lame "justice" in the West, where families have to watch the killers, rapers, robbers of their loved ones gloat and laugh as they are sentenced to pathetic terms in jail that are more like 3 star hotels, with gym, good food, and other social facilities. In Islamic justice the victim, or his/her family have some say over the punishment the perpetrator is to face. They can choose something equal, less, or forgive. In the so-called "superior" western justice families have no say whatsoever, let me blind you or your family and see what would make you happier, having no choice but to watch me laugh as I am jailed for 3 years knowing I will serve only 12 months in an institution where many live better than they did outside of it, or YOU are given the choice to choose my punishment, something equal, less or forgiveness.

Again, you probably never meet or speak with them, but the majority of Muslims in Muslim countries want Sharia. This is why what were and are the most secular Muslim countries have seen a resurgence in Islam. eg Iran was the most secular of the lot and popular demand bought about a revolution. Syria, was very Arab Nationalistic. Yet there also the people have bought Islam and now the government start their meetings with Islamic phrases instead of the previously nationalistic ones. Even in Morocco and Tunisia, once people get to know and trust you, you will find that many would like to see Islam play a bigger part in their governance. This is no different to the West, in the West the vast majority of people want to hold on to Western values of secular laws. So no one should try to enforce their view on a society where the majority are against it.