British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   ISAs and Residence (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/isas-residence-711186/)

Bahtatboy Mar 28th 2011 1:41 pm

ISAs and Residence

Just signed up for a new ISA for Bahtatgirl, who lives in UK. One of the statements she must confirm is that she is resident and ordinarily resident in UK.

Are all new ISAs restricted to those who are resident and ordinarily resident?

Meow Mar 28th 2011 1:42 pm

Re: ISAs and Residence

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 9269441)
Just signed up for a new ISA for Bahtatgirl, who lives in UK. One of the statements she must confirm is that she is resident and ordinarily resident in UK.

Are all new ISAs restricted to those who are resident and ordinarily resident?

Yes.

Bahtatboy Mar 28th 2011 1:45 pm

Ta (strewth, that was quick and succinct).

Let's try this. If I (arguably being not resident and not-ordinarily resident) have an ISA that pre-dates my current residence status, can I pay into it?

Meow Mar 28th 2011 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 9269451)
Ta (strewth, that was quick and succinct).

Let's try this. If I (arguably being not resident and not-ordinarily resident) have an ISA that pre-dates my current residence status, can I pay into it?

No ;)

You can keep it, but you cannot add to it and I believe it is also not possible to transfer it.

Bahtatboy Mar 28th 2011 1:49 pm

That answer in under a minute, too. Blimey, you're good.:thumbup:

Thanks, Meow.

Right, more Premium Bonds.

Meow Mar 28th 2011 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 9269459)
That answer in under a minute, too. Blimey, you're good.:thumbup:

Thanks, Meow.

Right, more Premium Bonds.

I just happend to log in right after you posted. :)

Returns on Premium Bonds are lousy. You will also have to do them in your wife's name as you aren't supposed to eligible for those either. ;)

Bahtatboy Mar 28th 2011 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 9269473)
Returns on Premium Bonds are lousy. You will also have to do them in your wife's name as you aren't supposed to eligible for those either. ;)

I've always done well out of Premium Bonds, but I know its the luck of the draw.

I don't recall seeing anything on the NSandI website about residency for them--is it hard and fast?

Meow Mar 28th 2011 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 9269502)
I've always done well out of Premium Bonds, but I know its the luck of the draw.

I don't recall seeing anything on the NSandI website about residency for them--is it hard and fast?

It's vaguely written and if you use a UK address you probably won't have a problem. (If you want dull and safe, I may have other options if you want to email me.)

Sandboy Mar 28th 2011 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 9269452)
No ;)

You can keep it, but you cannot add to it and I believe it is also not possible to transfer it.

I'm sure that bird what writes in The National said that if you'd started one before you came here you could continue to pay into it :confused:

Meow Mar 28th 2011 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by Sandboy (Post 9269578)
I'm sure that bird what writes in The National said that if you'd started one before you came here you could continue to pay into it :confused:

No she didn't. She said if you had one already you can keep it but you cannot pay any more into it once you have left the UK.

You may be confusing ISAs with personal/stakeholder pensions. If you have one of those up and running before you leave you can continue paying into to for up to five years, subject to a gross contribution of £3,600 per annum.
;)

I bore myself too :zzz:

soukie Mar 28th 2011 7:52 pm

I have Premium bonds registered to my AD address and bought since I have been here.

Mogs Apr 4th 2011 11:40 am

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 9269599)
No she didn't. She said if you had one already you can keep it but you cannot pay any more into it once you have left the UK.

You may be confusing ISAs with personal/stakeholder pensions. If you have one of those up and running before you leave you can continue paying into to for up to five years, subject to a gross contribution of £3,600 per annum.
;)

I bore myself too :zzz:

With regard to the personal/stakeholder pensions......I wasn't aware of the 5 year rule. What happens after 5 years of contributing after you leave the UK ?

Thanks

Meow Apr 4th 2011 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by Mogs (Post 9284112)
With regard to the personal/stakeholder pensions......I wasn't aware of the 5 year rule. What happens after 5 years of contributing after you leave the UK ?

Thanks

You are supposed to stop contributing. A few providers will allow you to continue but you wouldn't get any tax relief so that would make it rather pointless.

Bear in mind that the pension plan has to be in force before you actually leave the UK.

Mogs Apr 5th 2011 5:29 am

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 9284381)
You are supposed to stop contributing. A few providers will allow you to continue but you wouldn't get any tax relief so that would make it rather pointless.

Bear in mind that the pension plan has to be in force before you actually leave the UK.

Plan was in force before I left, 5 years is up later this year. I guess I'll just wait and see what happens.

Jim Smith Apr 5th 2011 7:52 am

Originally Posted by soukie (Post 9270194)
I have Premium bonds registered to my AD address and bought since I have been here.

I used my sister-in-law's address but when she passed on, I gave the Bonds a change of adds to Dubai, and it was accepted by them. No winners after 38years though!