British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Irish Village Festivities (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/irish-village-festivities-660024/)

lionheart Mar 18th 2010 12:32 pm

Irish Village Festivities

On all weekend to celebrate St.Patricks Day. Anybody going? Free music, Irish dancing, bouncy castles all day. Sir Bob Geldof appearing tomorrow night I believe but that won't be free.

Poitin Mar 18th 2010 12:47 pm

Re: Irish Village Festivities

We may go down on saturday - as it free:) - the kids thought they were missing out - as all the family were texting from home.

We are actually going to an Irish gathering tonight at a friends house - but kids ain't coming;)

lionheart Mar 18th 2010 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by Poitin (Post 8429539)
We may go down on saturday - as it free:) - the kids thought they were missing out - as all the family were texting from home.

We are actually going to an Irish gathering tonight at a friends house - but kids ain't coming;)

We will be the ones NOT wearing green rugby shirts and Leprachaun's hats.:D

Meow Mar 18th 2010 1:03 pm

Why is it that Brits are so keen on celebrating the Irish patron saint, but have little interest on doing anything on 23rd April, St George's Day?

-

littlejimmy Mar 18th 2010 1:18 pm

It's all just a big marketing scam by Guinness.

typical Mar 18th 2010 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 8429574)
Why is it that Brits are so keen on celebrating the Irish patron saint, but have little interest on doing anything on 23rd April, St George's Day?

-

You might want to change "Brits" to "English" - there are historical links between the Irish and the Scots, and besides the Scots have their own celebration for Rab Burns...

shiva Mar 18th 2010 4:27 pm

Originally Posted by typical (Post 8429634)
You might want to change "Brits" to "English" - there are historical links between the Irish and the Scots, and besides the Scots have their own celebration for Rab Burns...

That would be St Andrew as an equivalent but thx for the right intention.

@the brit remark........****** english wonder why the rest of us celebrate.......mumble mumble.....

kittycat1 Mar 19th 2010 6:17 am

Favourite drink for Paddys day- Irish carbomb.... 2 = falling over

Meow Mar 21st 2010 8:04 am

Originally Posted by typical (Post 8429634)

Ooops! Yes, of course. Just thinking of BE site. My apols.

Do the Scots do anything for St Andrew's Day, or just for Burns Night? The Welsh for St David's Day?

I know there is a St George's Day Ball at the Grand Hyatt on 23rd April, but haven't heard of anything else. I may have a BBQ at mine that Friday and make everyone wear red and white. :D

-

commander Mar 21st 2010 8:12 am

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 8435939)

Do the Scots do anything for St Andrew's Day, or just for Burns Night? The Welsh for St David's Day?

I know there is a St George's Day Ball at the Grand Hyatt on 23rd April, but haven't heard of anything else. I may have a BBQ at mine that Friday and make everyone wear red and white. :D

-

There is usually a St Andrews day ball here...

Madam Medusa Mar 21st 2010 9:06 am

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 8435939)

-

yeah, there's a st david's day ball, and there is a society which organises various things throughout the year, although they are barking mad i'm told...

MM, xx

typical Mar 21st 2010 9:51 am

Originally Posted by shiva (Post 8430011)
That would be St Andrew as an equivalent but thx for the right intention.

I'm a confused soul myself, born in England to a Scottish family...

I've never celebrated St Andrew's day though. Burns night, on the other hand.. *hic*

Have they legalised haggis in the US yet? :rofl: