British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   irish village... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/irish-village-521919/)

Madam Medusa Mar 15th 2008 1:45 pm

irish village...

...paddy's day was dead quiet, first time in 3 years i've seen it like that. There was a fairly decent covers' band on, but no one was interested...they were all only there for the kids irish dancing...

anyone else go? hope for everyone's sake it will be more lively this evening...

MM, xx

Chris79 Mar 15th 2008 1:47 pm

Re: irish village...

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa (Post 6066476)
...paddy's day was dead quiet, first time in 3 years i've seen it like that. There was a fairly decent covers' band on, but no one was interested...they were all only there for the kids irish dancing...

MM, xx

Everywhere in Abu Dhabi was rammed last night. Full of people drinkin guiness and pretending they like it!
Went into Heroes and they had the worst Elvis impersonator ever!!!

Madam Medusa Mar 15th 2008 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by Chris79 (Post 6066481)
Everywhere in Abu Dhabi was rammed last night. Full of people drinkin guiness and pretending they like it!
Went into Heroes and they had the worst Elvis impersonator ever!!!

hahahaha...well paddy's day is normally completely heaving at IV, great atmosphere...was really disappointing today...least i won't have a hangover tomorrow i guess!

MM, xx

Blue Cat Mar 15th 2008 1:55 pm

so is the Bob Geldof thing today or Monday :confused:

Madam Medusa Mar 15th 2008 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 6066501)

ohh...don't know, can't stand him...

MM, xx

Blue Cat Mar 15th 2008 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa (Post 6066514)
ohh...don't know, can't stand him...

MM, xx

me neither, but he is coming AGAIN, must be Monday night :(

Madam Medusa Mar 15th 2008 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 6066592)
me neither, but he is coming AGAIN, must be Monday night :(

i know, once is bad enough...but a repeat performance...

MM, xx

Inselaffen Mar 15th 2008 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa (Post 6066476)

MM, xx

Thats probably because it wasnt Paddy's night.
Its on Monday.

Madam Medusa Mar 15th 2008 5:56 pm

Originally Posted by Inselaffen (Post 6067025)
Thats probably because it wasnt Paddy's night.
Its on Monday.

but it is paddy's day...

wikipedia: The date of the feast is occasionally moved by church authorities when March 17 falls during Holy Week; this happened in 1940 when Saint Patrick's Day was observed on 3 April in order to avoid it coinciding with Palm Sunday, and happened again in 2008, when it was held on March 15.[2] March 17th will not fall during Holy Week again until 2160.[3]

MM, xx

Inselaffen Mar 15th 2008 5:59 pm

lots of people will turnup on monday then thinking what the hell has happened!

lionheart Mar 15th 2008 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 6066501)

I was under the impression that he was appearing last night as they were charging AED75 entry whereas its free on the other nights. We went this afternoon and loved the Irish dancing.

Madam Medusa Mar 15th 2008 6:04 pm

Originally Posted by lionheart (Post 6067061)
I was under the impression that he was appearing last night as they were charging AED75 entry whereas its free on the other nights. We went this afternoon and loved the Irish dancing.

my friend's daughter was dancing, and it was great...but don't you think it was dreadfully quiet and a bit lacking in atmosphere??

MM, xx

lionheart Mar 15th 2008 6:06 pm

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa (Post 6067067)
my friend's daughter was dancing, and it was great...but don't you think it was dreadfully quiet and a bit lacking in atmosphere??

MM, xx

They were obviously preparing themselves to get hammered 33-10 by the English at Twickenham.

Inselaffen Mar 15th 2008 6:22 pm

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa (Post 6067043)
but it is paddy's day...

wikipedia: The date of the feast is occasionally moved by church authorities when March 17 falls during Holy Week; this happened in 1940 when Saint Patrick's Day was observed on 3 April in order to avoid it coinciding with Palm Sunday, and happened again in 2008, when it was held on March 15.[2] March 17th will not fall during Holy Week again until 2160.[3]

MM, xx

just coz some old german bloke decides to change the date so it doesnt spoil his holidays doesnt make it a real paddy's night!

Confucius Mar 15th 2008 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by Inselaffen (Post 6067104)
just coz some old german bloke decides to change the date so it doesnt spoil his holidays doesnt make it a real paddy's night!

We,the Lebanese,grandsons of the Phoenicians, never,ever, change the date of our St Patrick...