Staying, it happens every few years
60.00%
Staying but extra vigilant
25.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Iran - You leaving or staying?

Old Jan 5th 2020, 4:59 am
BE Forum Addict

IKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond repute
Default Iran - You leaving or staying?

Well that escalated quickly, apparently to hit Iran the mericans will use their Abu Dhabi airbase for their drones.

So, has the killing of the Qud's leader made you think about whether to stay on here?
Old Jan 5th 2020, 8:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Iran - You leaving or staying?

Originally Posted by IKnowNothing
Well that escalated quickly, apparently to hit Iran the mericans will use their Abu Dhabi airbase for their drones.

So, has the killing of the Qud's leader made you think about whether to stay on here?
Not directly, but it certainly changes the future direction of my employment.

Imagine if that AD airbase was droned. Doesn't look good for 2020 house prices.
Old Jan 5th 2020, 11:24 am
"Insert witty title here"

Irishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond repute

Just a move by the Septic War Machine / Corporations / Stock Movers and Shakers to make some extra money while they still can with their Orange Pinocchio in charge really. Nothing new here. There might be a few gives and takes but at the end of the day the Septics have more than 3 dozen bases surrounding the Iran region so who will win that one is pretty obvious. They will never commit to a ground war though, thats political suicide and everyone knows it.
Plus Iran hasnt got the bomb, despite of what everyone would make you believe, otherwise the US axis will never dare to finger them. Take N Korea's example, now we know for sure that they have the bomb so all US can do is saber rattle at it, I dont see them killing any of their guys. Pak's got the Nuke, wheres the attack despite it being proven without any doubt that the Afghan war went on for so long because of Paks support of the Taliban. Man its all about money at the end of the day, those in power want to make more money and those not in power cant do anything about it.
Vigilance is definitely needed though, especially if you look like the Septics.
Old Jan 5th 2020, 12:21 pm

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

Currently here.
Didn't even hear about it until I spoke with my dad yesterday. Heading back to saudi on Friday . Just be following the news. Live on base in Saudi but seeing how it's a training facility rather than an active base, I'd have thought there were far more important targets.
Old Jan 6th 2020, 6:38 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

I selected this one: Staying but extra vigilant

We're not worried really, we're aware of the region as a whole and the political situation here has had ups and downs for years.
However, we did agree a basic plan in case poopy hits the fan. Interested if anyone else has and what the general consensus is. Ours is; whoever has the car comes home, rendez-vous there. Grab some shit (including a handy 'grab bag' which is passports and a spare credit card basically, drive south-ish inland towards Al Ain. Take stock, keep going to Oman if needs be (depending on visa situation). Generally just get out the city. Running to the airport feels a bit futile. Would probably return to apartment and continue working / living.

Those who were in London in the aftermath of the 7/7 attacks probably went to work the next day and got on with it. I imagine much of the attitude here will be a delayed version of the same / MASS PANIC
Old Jan 6th 2020, 6:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp

We're not worried really, we're aware of the region as a whole and the political situation here has had ups and downs for years.
However, we did agree a basic plan in case poopy hits the fan. Interested if anyone else has and what the general consensus is. Ours is; whoever has the car comes home, rendez-vous there. Grab some shit (including a handy 'grab bag' which is passports and a spare credit card basically, drive south-ish inland towards Al Ain. Take stock, keep going to Oman if needs be (depending on visa situation). Generally just get out the city. Running to the airport feels a bit futile. Would probably return to apartment and continue working / living.

Those who were in London in the aftermath of the 7/7 attacks probably went to work the next day and got on with it. I imagine much of the attitude here will be a delayed version of the same / MASS PANIC
Don't forget the peanut butter sandwiches.

Old Jan 6th 2020, 6:55 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Millhouse
Don't forget the peanut butter sandwiches.
I don't like peanut butter but I've got cereal bars left over from my last India trip, enough Ruffles to sink an Iranian cruiser and reckon I could carry a water tank bottle thing for the cooler in one hand to the car. That'll last a while.

Joking aside, I'm glad to have given it more than a passing thought, only just, but it's important to just respond to something happening in a decisive way I think.
Old Jan 6th 2020, 7:12 am
BE Forum Addict

IKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond repute

Mstr Scamp- you? Being serious? Heavens to Betsy!

But on a serious note, good for you for having a plan.

(I voted leaving but i am already)
Old Jan 6th 2020, 7:52 am
Account Closed

Mstr Scamp- you? Being serious? Heavens to Betsy!

But on a serious note, good for you for having a plan.

(I voted leaving but i am already)

I know, weird isn't it. But I'm an old school chauvinistic bastard who thinks he's responsible for the safety of his 'bird'. Her uncle, randomly, was messaging scared for our safety so we had to come up with a plan to satisfy him and the rest of the family who he was stirring into a mini-frenzy. Spoke to my Mummy and she wasn't too worried but asked me to plan something, spoke to Dad and he just said "don't worry, it'll be OK" about 4 times until he then asked me if I think it will be OK or if I think we should be worried.

What would your plan be? Or anyone else for that matter?
Old Jan 6th 2020, 8:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

What does staying extra vigilant mean, anyway?
Old Jan 6th 2020, 9:52 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Millhouse
What does staying extra vigilant mean, anyway?
Dodging Barasti in my mind
Old Jan 6th 2020, 10:32 am
BE Forum Addict

I was speaking to a guy I know here, high up in Police, we talked a bit about the threat, he said categorically it won't happen, a load of possible perpetrators are being quietly removed from the streets and not to worry.

Now I've known this guy for 6 years or so, he doesn't say stuff for effect and tow the party line so to speak and he categorically says that we're safer here than anywhere else in the Gulf and there will not be any sort of attack.

I mentioned multiple stabbings at McDonalds or in a busy mall or similar, again the same answer.

Let's hope he's right.

And Scamp, I've not made any plans other than a week in HCMC followed by a full scale move there end March.
Old Jan 6th 2020, 10:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I was speaking to a guy I know here, high up in Police, we talked a bit about the threat, he said categorically it won't happen, a load of possible perpetrators are being quietly removed from the streets and not to worry.

Now I've known this guy for 6 years or so, he doesn't say stuff for effect and tow the party line so to speak and he categorically says that we're safer here than anywhere else in the Gulf and there will not be any sort of attack.

I mentioned multiple stabbings at McDonalds or in a busy mall or similar, again the same answer.

Let's hope he's right.

And Scamp, I've not made any plans other than a week in HCMC followed by a full scale move there end March.
Is this the same high-up friend that tells you every year that SK is dead, and it will be announced during the last ten days of Ramadan?
Old Jan 6th 2020, 11:07 am
Account Closed

Let's hope he's right.

If you were going to make plans though, what would you do?

Part of me thinks just north to RAK etc is good enough, cheap hotels too. Just not sure how much to panic.

Vietnam is happening then? Very best of luck and enjoy...
Old Jan 6th 2020, 11:12 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Irishbeekeeper
Just a move by the Septic War Machine / Corporations / Stock Movers and Shakers to make some extra money while they still can with their Orange Pinocchio in charge really. Nothing new here. There might be a few gives and takes but at the end of the day the Septics have more than 3 dozen bases surrounding the Iran region so who will win that one is pretty obvious. They will never commit to a ground war though, thats political suicide and everyone knows it.
Plus Iran hasnt got the bomb, despite of what everyone would make you believe, otherwise the US axis will never dare to finger them. Take N Korea's example, now we know for sure that they have the bomb so all US can do is saber rattle at it, I dont see them killing any of their guys. Pak's got the Nuke, wheres the attack despite it being proven without any doubt that the Afghan war went on for so long because of Paks support of the Taliban. Man its all about money at the end of the day, those in power want to make more money and those not in power cant do anything about it.
Vigilance is definitely needed though, especially if you look like the Septics.

I am not there now, but was during the Arab Spring and remember the huge convoys rolling past me on their way to Bahrain to put down the uprising there, and all the uncertainty that came with that, and for the MERS crisis among others later on, including various terrorist threats against Westerners and so on. Agree that this sort of thing is just priced into the equation of working there.

I did always have a plan however, but of course it depends on what has happened and what the context is. So multiple plans I guess.

Basically go hang out with a local for a few days until things settle down. If things are flying around the Gulf I don't really want to be on an airplane and flights might all be grounded anyways. I also don't want to be anywhere where lots of people gather like airports.

If it gets really bad try to head for Salalah and a flight from there to Jordan.

I had a plan but very frankly it did not worry me then and it would not worry me now. During MERS I had a plan for my wife to leave if it got really bad, but I was going to stay.

Also keep in mind, how difficult it is for an Iranian Persian Shiite to blend in with Sunni Gulf Arabs, Sunni Levant Arabs and Sunni South Asians. They stick out like a sore thumb to locals.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.