British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Iran Nuclear Deal Reached (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/iran-nuclear-deal-reached-861795/)

alfrombarking Jul 14th 2015 11:24 am

Iran Nuclear Deal Reached

Will Tehran be the new El Dorado?

shiva Jul 14th 2015 12:53 pm

Re: Iran Nuclear Deal Reached

Iran has more potential than most of the rest of the region, it's people are largely more reasonable and moderate as well so it has a shot at it........but its leaders are still largely insane so .......

OleJanx Jul 14th 2015 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by shiva (Post 11699077)
Iran has more potential than most of the rest of the region, it's people are largely more reasonable and moderate as well so it has a shot at it........but its leaders are still largely insane so .......

So possibly a better bet than Saudi then?

shiva Jul 14th 2015 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by OleJanx (Post 11699203)
So possibly a better bet than Saudi then?

very possibly especially long term

norsk Jul 14th 2015 6:29 pm

Originally Posted by shiva (Post 11699218)

Can you feel that? It's the power shifting.

KSA especially must be shitting their pants. The US (mostly) have essentially been turning a blind eye to their faults for the last 30 years, but now perhaps the time has come...

OleJanx Jul 14th 2015 8:07 pm

Originally Posted by shiva (Post 11699218)

I visited Tehran 17 years ago, and even then it was "Yes we respect the religious leaders - and quietly do what we want out of sight." Iranians are cheerfully pragmatic and much more realistic than the Gulfies.

Bahtatboy Jul 15th 2015 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by OleJanx (Post 11699452)
I visited Tehran 17 years ago, and even then it was "Yes we respect the religious leaders - and quietly do what we want out of sight." Iranians are cheerfully pragmatic and much more realistic than the Gulfies.

Completely agree. And more pleasant to do business with. Their investment needs to get their O&G and power industries back on track are huge, so in my view there'll be very considerable business opportunities coming up.

Irishbeekeeper Jul 20th 2015 2:12 pm

Well I for one am glad. It means more stuff going out from here to Tehran and not just on small boats anymore. It was starting to get tiresome!

alfrombarking Jul 23rd 2015 9:41 am

Key words Escrow Accounts!.

They have aover 200 Billion (according to US treasury) that's going to be released............basically oil sale proceeds (from China, Japan etc) they couldn't access because of the sanctions.....so the money's just been piling up.

huge pay day coming up.

norsk Jul 23rd 2015 9:53 am

Originally Posted by alfrombarking (Post 11706111)
Key words Escrow Accounts!.

They have aover 200 Billion (according to US treasury) that's going to be released............basically oil sale proceeds (from China, Japan etc) they couldn't access because of the sanctions.....so the money's just been piling up.

huge pay day coming up.

Maybe they should buy Greece!

Irishbeekeeper Jul 23rd 2015 10:16 am

Originally Posted by norsk (Post 11706120)
Maybe they should buy Greece!

bad investment mate
some nations are a lost cause
we have a saying, put a dog's tail in a straight steel pipe for 10 years, take it out, it will still curl up :thumbsup:

Dubaiexile Jul 23rd 2015 6:30 pm

Piece in the UK papers today quoting an Iranian Minister saying that they will buy arms from who they want and export arms to who they like regardless of this agreement! They have successfully stalled these talks for years playing one upmanship and will continue to be as slippery as hell, I personally do not believe this agreement is worth the paper it is written on, just another thing for Obama to say how good a President he was (not).
Also I have not seen a lot of comment from the GCC bloc.

Millhouse Jul 23rd 2015 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by Dubaiexile (Post 11706523)
Piece in the UK papers today quoting an Iranian Minister saying that they will buy arms from who they want and export arms to who they like regardless of this agreement! They have successfully stalled these talks for years playing one upmanship and will continue to be as slippery as hell, I personally do not believe this agreement is worth the paper it is written on, just another thing for Obama to say how good a President he was (not).
Also I have not seen a lot of comment from the GCC bloc.

let's be realistic - the Iranian nuclear program is not going to change one shot.

I'm sure the western political view is we need Iran to fight ISIS - the Saudi created beast isn't going to be stopped by the Saudis so we need a new friend in the region - so above anything else, Iran needs access to money and this is a "clean" way for us to re-fund Iran. Of course, when the job is done (or not as the case will be and the west will be bored of the waiting and general cheating), the sanctions will be put back as they would then have been found breaching their nuclear arrangements.

As for the oil - they have been pumping oil to the Chinese at a discounted price all the time - there will be a ramp up and in the short term oil markets will be in the gutter - long term, they will recover when we realize that there isn't the flood of new oil that we were expecting as it was always there.

alfrombarking Jul 23rd 2015 9:53 pm

I'm sure our friends at UKTI are organising a huge trade delegation to Tehran which will include among others BAE Systems,Marconi Electronic Systems (MES), BP, etc

If we can do business with the Wahabbis, I cant see why we shouldnt with the Mullahs