iPhones in UAe

Old Sep 8th 2011, 10:26 am
Account Closed

Tillybean is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: iPhones in UAe

Originally Posted by Autonomy
2 months ago I was going to get an iPhone but as I looked into it and thought about it more I really was convinced it was not the best device out there (and I love Macs) - I went for the Samsung Galaxy S2 (http://www.samsung.com/global/microsite/galaxys2/html/).

I think it was 2599dhs - my wife has the iPhone 4 and this thing just is streets ahead. Amazing screen, much better camera, not tied down to using itunes, easy file transfer and updates, Android apps are just as good as iTunes. The phone looks better, is much slimmer etc. The specs are pretty amazing as well...

All in all - I'm a big fan. iPhone advantages - the user interface, chunkier, easier to use, perhaps more apps - but that is changing fast...

Etisalat 1GB data package is more than enough for me.

Spugs - go check them out in store before you buy iPhone...

Edit - also it is not miniSim - just regular SIM, unlike iPhone

Edit 2 - One thing - the S2 battery is not so great - only just about full day on 1 charge
Thanks so much. Have to say I am about to push "pay" on a Samsung Galaxy S2. It looks amazing.

Just one quick question. I have a pay as you go sim which is fine for me now, but will it work with the Galaxy?

Also, to get the data services I am assuming I will need an Etisalat data package? Correct?? If so, is this tied to the sim and therefore the number as the sim isnt registered in my name....long story.....which means I wouldnt be able to get a data package against my current sim and number and would need a new one, right?
Old Sep 8th 2011, 2:04 pm
Forum Regular

Ilford_or_Dubai is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Autonomy
2 months ago I was going to get an iPhone but as I looked into it and thought about it more I really was convinced it was not the best device out there (and I love Macs) - I went for the Samsung Galaxy S2 (http://www.samsung.com/global/microsite/galaxys2/html/).

I think it was 2599dhs - my wife has the iPhone 4 and this thing just is streets ahead. Amazing screen, much better camera, not tied down to using itunes, easy file transfer and updates, Android apps are just as good as iTunes. The phone looks better, is much slimmer etc. The specs are pretty amazing as well...

All in all - I'm a big fan. iPhone advantages - the user interface, chunkier, easier to use, perhaps more apps - but that is changing fast...

Etisalat 1GB data package is more than enough for me.

Spugs - go check them out in store before you buy iPhone...

Edit - also it is not miniSim - just regular SIM, unlike iPhone

Edit 2 - One thing - the S2 battery is not so great - only just about full day on 1 charge
+1

Galaxy S2 is much better than iPhone4...

Android has few unique competitive advantages over iPhone operating system like the notification bar, combined user experience by android + HTC/Samsung (or who ever the manufactere)...

Apple apps are better...

however thinsg will change wn apple releases the upgraded operating system with the iphone 5 which has some good bits from Android and Blackberry platforms stolen...

If my sources are correct; an apple IM messenger is in the new release too...
Old Sep 8th 2011, 4:24 pm
Powered by cows

Autonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tillybean
Thanks so much. Have to say I am about to push "pay" on a Samsung Galaxy S2. It looks amazing.

Just one quick question. I have a pay as you go sim which is fine for me now, but will it work with the Galaxy?

Also, to get the data services I am assuming I will need an Etisalat data package? Correct?? If so, is this tied to the sim and therefore the number as the sim isnt registered in my name....long story.....which means I wouldnt be able to get a data package against my current sim and number and would need a new one, right?
No worries - 2 months ago I was convinced it was the best available. The statement probably still stands.

I have postpaid, however I'm pretty sure prepaid WASEL is fine, certainly for non-data. For data it seems you can prepay (http://www.etisalat.ae/index.jsp?lan...000c24a8c0RCRD)

Pretty sure you'll be fine.
Old Sep 9th 2011, 5:59 pm
Forum Regular

Elmer Fudd has much to be proud ofElmer Fudd has much to be proud ofElmer Fudd has much to be proud ofElmer Fudd has much to be proud ofElmer Fudd has much to be proud ofElmer Fudd has much to be proud ofElmer Fudd has much to be proud ofElmer Fudd has much to be proud ofElmer Fudd has much to be proud ofElmer Fudd has much to be proud ofElmer Fudd has much to be proud of

Just got bill from Virgin £300 last month - lurking app was data roaming!! Doh
Old Sep 9th 2011, 11:57 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millsyisland
I'd never trust either Etislut or Du with a data package, so I bought a factory-unlocked iPhone from emiratesavenue.com in Dubai and put my Wasel sim card in it, so I just need to be somewhere in wifi coverage to use the internet and certain apps etc (as you currently have to for your iPod Touch).

You either need to get a new micro sim card though, or cut your existing one down using one of the templates off the internet.
we did the same
Old Sep 12th 2011, 7:43 am
Account Closed

Bought the Samsung Galaxy 2 and its so pretty...I think I am in love! And am heading to the little Etisalat office at Masdar to sort out the data package later today.
Old Sep 12th 2011, 9:12 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Just.buy.the.iPhone.

Nothing else really compares, they're all trying to be as clear, simple and enjoyable as the iPhone but none really manage to get it.
Old Sep 12th 2011, 9:53 am
Account Closed

Have to disagree Scampy. I had an iphone and now have the galaxy. The galaxy looks better, is slimmer, lighter, not so chunky, has a multitude of apps that mirror apple and isnt tied to apple only products.

Go Samsung Galaxy for the money.
Old Sep 12th 2011, 10:08 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Have to disagree Scampy. I had an iphone and now have the galaxy. The galaxy looks better, is slimmer, lighter, not so chunky, has a multitude of apps that mirror apple and isnt tied to apple only products.

I've only played on the Galaxy and a couple of HTC ones, not for a great period of time but just found them wanting.

TBH - whatever you buy you'll prefer becauase you'll get used to it...
Old Sep 12th 2011, 10:23 am
Forum Regular

fezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of light

Completely agree. I've previously owned iphones (and loved them), but a high end, modern Android device like the Galaxy S2 knocks the socks off the current iPhone4 which has been around for a while now. The screen is superb and after a slow start all the apps that used to be iphone only are now on android too. Plus if you're into all things Google like Gmail, Reader, maps and Docs, they're all optimised for Android devices.
Old Sep 12th 2011, 10:36 am
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
Just.buy.the.iPhone.

Nothing else really compares, they're all trying to be as clear, simple and enjoyable as the iPhone but none really manage to get it.
Oh I'm going to get one, I just want the best deal.

Plus I have an iPod touch, which will be a bit redundant really, which is a shame.
Old Sep 12th 2011, 10:49 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Spugsy
Oh I'm going to get one, I just want the best deal.

Plus I have an iPod touch, which will be a bit redundant really, which is a shame.
Ah yeah.

My mrs brought hers with her unlocked. Stuck in the Wasel sim with Etisalat and she's going to stick on the 1gb bundle for 195 (I think) which should be fine. In the UK I went over that only when I didn't have the internet in my house anymore, before that it never got close. On mine I've got the 5gb bundle because I use it for work, so emails ramp up the usage.

I reckon the Wasel with a bundle has to be a cheap option.
Old Sep 20th 2011, 5:52 am
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Spugsy
Ok so I'm going to bite the bullet and get one, despite having an iPod touch which is the same but no phone capability.

How much does it usually cost? Also is it worth waiting a while? Is there a new iPhone coming out?

Ta.
You might get a good deal on the Apple Store now.

http://www.arabianbusiness.com/apple...ns-421152.html
Old Sep 20th 2011, 8:20 am
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NorthernLad
You might get a good deal on the Apple Store now.

http://www.arabianbusiness.com/apple...ns-421152.html
about time too, great news. Also I want my laptop laser engraved so can get that done as well.
Old Sep 27th 2011, 1:40 pm
Forum Regular

scot-ish has a spectacular aura aboutscot-ish has a spectacular aura aboutscot-ish has a spectacular aura about

ok, need some advice on this, my missus just got her Vodafone bill in, and its £800- a bit much id say.

at present she hasnt a residency visa, just her working, as teacher.

she's in Fujairah.

can some1 advise me on the best deal for her to get, in simple terms, so i can tell her what/where to go to sort it.

she's on iPhone 4, so needs a micro sim, or somewhere that can cut a normal sim down for her. she definately needs a data package, as she roams on this Phone, hence the bill, and has no residency, so cant get Internet in the appartment yet.

thanks in advance

Jamie

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.