British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   iPad silly question (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/ipad-silly-question-761906/)

Bahtatboy Jun 16th 2012 12:51 pm

iPad silly question

Deride me if you must, but...

A relative who lives in UK wants me to buy an iPad 2 WiFi for him in Dubai, coz its the cheapest accessible place to buy one. Will it work in UK just the same as one he could buy in UK?

littlejimmy Jun 16th 2012 12:52 pm

Re: iPad silly question

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 10122529)

A relative who lives in UK wants me to buy an iPad 2 WiFi for him in Dubai, coz its the cheapest accessible place to buy one. Will it work in UK just the same as one he could buy in UK?

Well, if the iPod touch I bought in Cambodia is anything to go buy, there should be no problem at all.

Dorothy Jun 16th 2012 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 10122529)

Yes. My Australian bought one works no matter where in the world I travel.

Bahtatboy Jun 16th 2012 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by littlejimmy (Post 10122532)
Well, if the iPod touch I bought in Cambodia is anything to go buy, there should be no problem at all.

So you got your personal digital assistant touched in Cambodia, and it worked fine. I'm pleased for you.:D

littlejimmy Jun 16th 2012 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 10122535)
So you got your personal digital assistant touched in Cambodia, and it worked fine. I'm pleased for you.:D

Yup. Even after a skinful of whisky in the K-TV bar...

Bahtatboy Jun 16th 2012 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by littlejimmy (Post 10122537)
Yup. Even after a skinful of whisky in the K-TV bar...

Not because of the skinful of whisky?

Victor Meldrew Jun 16th 2012 5:23 pm

Yes it should. I bought my iPad 3 in UK and claimed the VAT back so worked out about the same.

I 'heard' that some of the UAE iPads do not have Facetime, so check this out before you buy.

The warranty with Apple is worldwide too so shoould be OK if there is a prob back in UK

lullabelle Jun 16th 2012 6:41 pm

Last time I looked it was more expensive in Dubai...

Anyway, the software is different. FaceTime is missing for a start. Not sure it's worth the hassle.

littlejimmy Jun 16th 2012 7:04 pm

Can't you get Face Time from the app store?

Oyibopeppeh Jun 16th 2012 7:21 pm

Mine (gen 3, 64Gb, 4G) cost me 3,000 through one of the groupon type deals. No problems except logging on to iTunes, doesn't work in the UAE.

auzdafluff Jun 16th 2012 8:21 pm

Originally Posted by littlejimmy (Post 10122902)
Can't you get Face Time from the app store?

Nope.

Millhouse Jun 16th 2012 10:30 pm

No FaceTime and no warranty. I took my first iPad back to the DC store after 3 days as it was faulty... you just never know.

The biggest problem occurs when you register a UAE credit card to itunes... you get to see a restricted content and load of Arabic apps. If you register with a UK card you are as happy as a pig in shit.

As it happens, I'm in DC and will be going to the Apple Store tomorrow... back in the Emirates by next weekend Insh'Allah.... Happy to look for one, but I'm told that the ipad2s may not be readily stocked now.

Victor Meldrew Jun 17th 2012 2:44 am

.... as they used to say in Blue Peter "Here's one I prepared earlier"

It might answer some of your questions:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=752712

:thumbsup:

NorthernLad Jun 17th 2012 3:15 am

I got the iPad 3 (4G, 32 GB) from jadpado here, it was cheaper than UK (around 300-400dh I think)

It comes with Facetime and worldwide warranty. The UAE Apple Store is a bit of a pain, a lot of Apps missing.

If you don't have a UK credit card you can buy a UK Apple gift voucher and use that to open a UK iTunes account (I've not tried this myself but a friend did it).

csdf Jun 17th 2012 8:16 am

Missing Facetime is no biggy - just install Skype.