iPad 3 in Dubai

Old Apr 5th 2012, 6:45 pm
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: iPad 3 in Dubai

Originally Posted by Robajob
Actually, I think there might be one or two differences with the software, there certainly is with the Iphone over here. I think facetime is missing on the GCC spec if memory serves. Try emailing Apple's customer service and see what they say.

Is there an owner of a fondleslab out there who can give us a definitive answer?
The new iPad being sold in UAE today is obviously not UAE spec since it hasn't been officially launched here yet. When it eventually does get launched it will not have Facetime (not a great loss) but there should be no other difference.

Usually they will be either UK or US models for sale at the moment. You can always ask, but to be honest it makes zero difference.

By the way Cobone is the cheapest I have found...

The 4G will never work in UAE. Rest of the world uses a different frequency than what they have in the US, and obviously they forgot to take this into account when they made it. Silly mistake by Apple really for which they are getting their fingers smacked in various countries over false advertising, and probably the first of many mistakes to come now that Steve Jobs is no longer around...
Old Apr 5th 2012, 9:20 pm
You read these things?

auzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by norsk
The new iPad being sold in UAE today is obviously not UAE spec since it hasn't been officially launched here yet. When it eventually does get launched it will not have Facetime (not a great loss) but there should be no other difference.

Usually they will be either UK or US models for sale at the moment. You can always ask, but to be honest it makes zero difference.

By the way Cobone is the cheapest I have found...

The 4G will never work in UAE. Rest of the world uses a different frequency than what they have in the US, and obviously they forgot to take this into account when they made it. Silly mistake by Apple really for which they are getting their fingers smacked in various countries over false advertising, and probably the first of many mistakes to come now that Steve Jobs is no longer around...
I think they'd have still made the mistake if Jobs was around. The whole reason Apple is so successful (on the cost and supply chain side) is because everything is standardised. Same screen, same components; it's just the software that's slightly different (language etc) based on where it ends up.

It would cost Apple more to build different versions of the iPad because mobile operators couldn't agree on a standard for their marketing gimmick (which is all that 4G actually is).
Old Apr 5th 2012, 10:22 pm
Confirmed grumpy old man

Victor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond repute

Can Facetime only be used with other Apple users? ie can it be used with someone say, on a DELL laptop?

Can you use Skype on the iPad3?

realistically how much do you think Facebook would be used?

I ask this because I bought a Samsung Galaxy S2 mainly because of the voice activated facilities and now find I hardly use that at all.

I dont want to pay 15% extra buying it in UK to get Facetime, if I dont think I will use it much.
Old Apr 6th 2012, 5:07 am
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Victor Meldrew
Can Facetime only be used with other Apple users? ie can it be used with someone say, on a DELL laptop?

I ask this because I bought a Samsung Galaxy S2 mainly because of the voice activated facilities and now find I hardly use that at all.

I dont want to pay 15% extra buying it in UK to get Facetime, if I dont think I will use it much.
FaceTime is only available on Apple products.

Skype does the same if not better than FaceTime.

You will realistically never use FaceTime.

It's a non-issue since the new iPad has not been launched in any of the countries that restrict FaceTime (as far as I am aware). Also if you buy from Cobone as mentioned it is pretty much the same price if not cheaper than the VAT exempt price from UK.
Old Apr 6th 2012, 12:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond repute

Having read your questions on this thread, I suggest a typewriter instead

Exactly the same software and spec worldwide. UAE has facetime installed, but won't work unless you run a VPN. Even then, I agree with the poster above that skype is going to be better since you don't restrict yourself to only contacting other apple users.

I would expect that the UAE will be one of the first countries to fully roll out 4G. I personally think it is worth the nominal extra, however each to their own.

If your not going for the 4g option, save yourself a packet and get the top end Ipad2. There's not much difference apart from the camera, and it's a ****ing stupid device to take photos on, we all have a digicam or a mobile phone that takes good photos now.

I noticed Millhouses comments about it being an expensive kitchen radio - I know plenty people who are the same. For me personally, it is my gadget of choice, at meetings I use it for notes that I can't lose like paper (albeit still incoherent unless I write a report up same day), lazy browsing on web. Lack of flash doesn't bother me. Email access, and killing time playing crappy arcade games.

The only thing I now turn the laptop on for now is downloading photos from my camera and editing them in PS Elements. Even then, I'm looking to ditch the laptop to go "back" to a desktop PC.
Old Apr 19th 2012, 6:05 am
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

I just got the 32GB 4G from JadoPado, ordered at 8:45am and had it delivered to my office at 11:30am.

It was 350dh cheaper than the same model on UK Apple store.

So far so good...looks like I can retire my iPad 1.
Old Apr 19th 2012, 7:50 am
Confirmed grumpy old man

Victor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond repute

I ended up buying the 32gb 4G in Uk this week. Cost about £510 with the VAT refund (you don't get the full VAT refunded).

I guess that equates to about 2960 Dirhams. How does that compare to your price?

I love the machine already it's a great toy.
Old Apr 19th 2012, 9:28 am
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

I ended up buying the 32gb 4G in Uk this week. Cost about £510 with the VAT refund (you don't get the full VAT refunded).

I guess that equates to about 2960 Dirhams. How does that compare to your price?

I paid 3049dh, seemed like good value. Huge improvement on iPad 1.
Old Apr 19th 2012, 9:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

what do you use it for?

TuneIn Radio is a good app. Worth getting a vpn put in it to so you can look at smut in HD when you are back in the emirates.
Old Apr 19th 2012, 10:39 am
Confirmed grumpy old man

Originally Posted by NorthernLad
I paid 3049dh, seemed like good value. Huge improvement on iPad 1.
I think prices in UK are probably higher than UAE but if you get some of the VAT back it works out similar or slightly cheaper.

I am using it mainly for 3G internet while I am still in UK. Once I get wi fi back in Dubai I will start using it properly downloading and using apps etc.

Looking forward to it.
Old Apr 20th 2012, 2:14 pm
Token Scandinavian Bloke

Originally Posted by Brains1983
..... Even then, I'm looking to ditch the laptop to go "back" to a desktop PC.
I see I'm not the only one thinking about ditching all my laptops and going back to a deskbeast! I've been actively looking at something with a big touchscreen. I think desktop is a far better solution for my kids and you definitely get more bang for your buck. I'm wondering whether we will see the trend turning back on itself and desktops become popular again...

According to Apple the iPad supports 4G on 700 and 2100 MHz, whereas Etisalat's LTE (4G) network runs on 2850 MHz. Du also runs on an unsupported frequency. So forget about getting 4G speeds on a shiny new iPad. You should get HSPA+ speeds of course, so it's not all doom and gloom. Also I'm sure they will eventually release a different version which supports more frequencies.
Old Apr 21st 2012, 2:38 pm
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute

Guys - I bought my 27" iMac with JohnLewis online. they shipped it out here. they charged me 80% of the online price + shipping. UPS charged me the 5% import tax and a 60Dh "processing fee". still cheaper than buying here
Old Apr 21st 2012, 3:51 pm
Big Member

Originally Posted by OriginalSunshine
Guys - I bought my 27" iMac with JohnLewis online. they shipped it out here. they charged me 80% of the online price + shipping. UPS charged me the 5% import tax and a 60Dh "processing fee". still cheaper than buying here
Cheaper than Apple in Virgin? I bought the 27" cinema display from there and it was slightly cheaper than UK - and Apple online store looks even better value here.
Old Apr 21st 2012, 4:32 pm
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute

Cheaper than Apple in Virgin? I bought the 27" cinema display from there and it was slightly cheaper than UK - and Apple online store looks even better value here.
ah, yes, don't know about that. I'm in the happy Gulf country on the East coast

best to do sums.

go to JL, look at latest price. take off 20%. add about 150 quid for shipping plus whatever import tax you guys get charged. see if it's cheaper. might not be. but all prices vary, and JL have some good end of line discounts occasionally.
Old Apr 21st 2012, 5:39 pm
You read these things?

auzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond repute

Apple's online store ships from Turkey if I remember right, which means you get charged import duty on top of the price. Plus it's a pain in the ass to get things replaced if it goes wrong, unless you happen to end up in the UK and can visit an Apple store there.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.