Investments

Old Jun 15th 2016, 11:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Lightandbitter has a reputation beyond reputeLightandbitter has a reputation beyond reputeLightandbitter has a reputation beyond reputeLightandbitter has a reputation beyond reputeLightandbitter has a reputation beyond reputeLightandbitter has a reputation beyond reputeLightandbitter has a reputation beyond reputeLightandbitter has a reputation beyond reputeLightandbitter has a reputation beyond reputeLightandbitter has a reputation beyond reputeLightandbitter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Investments

Originally Posted by Millhouse
I'm not worried.
Same as that, this 5.5% fall in the UK indices in the last week is being entirely blamed on the referendum. Sure it has a bearing, but the global fall in markets and bonds is because the system is yet again in trouble.

Nothing was learned from 2008 and this time it will be a lot worse, i have said for a long time all markets are going down and they are going to go down hard.

The EU referendum campaigns have been so difficult to comprehend.

The remain camp have spent months spreading fear and panic (and in relation to the other thread, have got some big names on board) but the relentless world is going to end, you will lose your job, savings, house, pension bullshit was only going to send people the wrong way.

The leave campaign has done about three eighths of **** all but yet now has a lead in the polls

I will lose a fair bit of money if the leave camp wins, i backed remain heavily. I would actually want the leave vote, but backed against it on the basis that the powers that be need to remain, and referendums are only held if the government are sure they will win.

On that basis, I am starting to think that this ridiculous remain "the world will end" campaign was actually designed to get a leave victory. Then the global financial meltdown that is much bigger than an EU with or without the UK and that will happen anyway can be blamed on us upsetting the applecart and deflect attention from the complete balls up the western governments and central banks have made over the last 20 years
Old Jun 15th 2016, 12:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lightandbitter has a reputation beyond reputeLightandbitter has a reputation beyond reputeLightandbitter has a reputation beyond reputeLightandbitter has a reputation beyond reputeLightandbitter has a reputation beyond reputeLightandbitter has a reputation beyond reputeLightandbitter has a reputation beyond reputeLightandbitter has a reputation beyond reputeLightandbitter has a reputation beyond reputeLightandbitter has a reputation beyond reputeLightandbitter has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, did you see that move Millhouse
Old Jun 15th 2016, 12:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lightandbitter
Wow, did you see that move Millhouse
Sit tight.... it often happens an hour before the US comes on-line.

In response to your previous post - I've been shorting for about two months - had to fund a margin call due to my belief as well near the peak.

If Brexit happens the markets will be toast. If no Brexit, I think we'll see a rise (partially offset in the UK by the currency strengthening) followed by some pain once people realize the underlying economies are still poor.
Old Jun 15th 2016, 12:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

In response to your previous post - I've been shorting for about two months - had to fund a margin call due to my belief as well near the peak.

If Brexit happens the markets will be toast. If no Brexit, I think we'll see a rise (partially offset in the UK by the currency strengthening) followed by some pain once people realize the underlying economies are still poor.
Am sitting tight all the way to under 5000

Been doing this a long time, something spooked the US market there for 2 minutes. Minutes of FED meeting come out later. If she even talks about a rate rise Dow will be down 500
Old Jun 15th 2016, 1:22 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Sell all shares now?
Old Jun 15th 2016, 2:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
Sell all shares now?
Yes

I believe all markets will come down 15-20% from where we are now

Of course it depends where you bought in, but if in profit I would be taking it now.

Volume is very low, corporate buy backs which have been keeping the market high are dropping off, I cant see Dow past 18000 or S&P past 2100 which means there is no upside on the FTSE

There is one proviso to this, but its uncharted territory, if the UK does leave and if the US and European indices do fall as expected, then there is a possibility that the UK markets become a safe haven for money that is fleeing the rest of the world markets that are tanking.

I think that is an outside chance and not worth the risk but investment money has to go somewhere, it will come away from falling markets, no return in bonds now so, just maybe, a stand alone UK could be seen as having more upside and less downside than the other options

But all in all, if your shares are in the money, then yes i would be taking that profit now. Bird in the hand and all that
Old Jun 15th 2016, 2:59 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Yes

I believe all markets will come down 15-20% from where we are now

Of course it depends where you bought in, but if in profit I would be taking it now.

Volume is very low, corporate buy backs which have been keeping the market high are dropping off, I cant see Dow past 18000 or S&P past 2100 which means there is no upside on the FTSE

There is one proviso to this, but its uncharted territory, if the UK does leave and if the US and European indices do fall as expected, then there is a possibility that the UK markets become a safe haven for money that is fleeing the rest of the world markets that are tanking.

I think that is an outside chance and not worth the risk but investment money has to go somewhere, it will come away from falling markets, no return in bonds now so, just maybe, a stand alone UK could be seen as having more upside and less downside than the other options

But all in all, if your shares are in the money, then yes i would be taking that profit now. Bird in the hand and all that
Yep, tempted along those lines. Then buy back shortly after the vote before the dust settles (at least for those which haven't had their intrinsic strength serverly damaged by the result).
Old Jun 16th 2016, 5:01 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Yep, tempted along those lines. Then buy back shortly after the vote before the dust settles (at least for those which haven't had their intrinsic strength serverly damaged by the result).
I'm in this position. Most are profitable, and nicely so (bought in 2008 crash) but wonder whether to take the cash and run.

Those who aren't profitable (BP are break even for me at the moment, roughly) I might just leave.

Can always buy back in....the problem is letting go of those Lloyds shares at 30pence.
Old Jun 16th 2016, 6:26 am
Hit 16's

Originally Posted by Scamp
I'm in this position. Most are profitable, and nicely so (bought in 2008 crash) but wonder whether to take the cash and run.

Those who aren't profitable (BP are break even for me at the moment, roughly) I might just leave.

Can always buy back in....the problem is letting go of those Lloyds shares at 30pence.
Or just do what Buffett would do (I think): sit tight.
Old Jun 16th 2016, 6:29 am
BE Enthusiast

He is claiming he is back in the market, shorting everything except for gold and gold mining shares
Old Jun 16th 2016, 6:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Looking at asia today, FTSE going to be very messy.

3%-4% down day i reckon
Old Jun 16th 2016, 6:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Looking at asia today, FTSE going to be very messy.

3%-4% down day i reckon
Asia bad, oil struggling. I'm tempted to put a short in on Greece... although at some point they do have to stop bleeding.
Old Jun 16th 2016, 7:02 am
Banned

iggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond repute

Asia bad, oil struggling. I'm tempted to put a short in on Greece... although at some point they do have to stop bleeding.
When is the next Greece bail out?
Old Jun 16th 2016, 7:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by iggle
When is the next Greece bail out?
well, they disbursed without agreeing terms.

If Brexit happens, I wonder what those terms will then look like
Old Jun 16th 2016, 7:36 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

I don't 'need' the money yet but similarly it's not money I want to lose.

I can sit tight.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.