British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Intro to all (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/intro-all-833335/)

mrlowry May 8th 2014 5:54 am

Intro to all

Hi All,

I'm new visiting and trying to get a feel of this place, hows everyone adapting?
i have been offered a good pay with 11 years experience under my belt as an engineer, but $$ isn't everything to me, happiness is. Does anyone here ever ask themselves "what the hell am i doing here"?

OleJanx May 8th 2014 9:58 am

Re: Intro to all

Originally Posted by mrlowry (Post 11251438)
Hi All,

I'm new visiting and trying to get a feel of this place, hows everyone adapting?
i have been offered a good pay with 11 years experience under my belt as an engineer, but $$ isn't everything to me, happiness is. Does anyone here ever ask themselves "what the hell am i doing here"?

Where is 'here'?

Bob May 8th 2014 4:09 pm

Welcome to BE!

mrlowry May 8th 2014 5:51 pm

Originally Posted by mrlowry (Post 11251438)
Hi All,

thanks everyone, sorry i meant doha. i've been to all the other gcc countries but doha has a different vibe to it. Now the humidity starting to kick in and all i can say is WOW!

OleJanx May 8th 2014 6:13 pm

Originally Posted by mrlowry (Post 11252480)
thanks everyone, sorry i meant doha. i've been to all the other gcc countries but doha has a different vibe to it. Now the humidity starting to kick in and all i can say is WOW!

The 'vibe' in Doha is the result of people shaking with frustration at the stupid and beligerent actions of the arrogant locals. Add that to humidity and a small minded population, and you have Qatar, where you can sometimes have a drink to calm things down. If Qatar went 'dry', the place would be a ghost town very quickly. It is a shit-hole with no redeeming features populated by dolts with an unearned sense of entitlement. Other than that, it beats Saudi, but so does Tehran....

Meow May 10th 2014 11:36 am

'Why does everyone hate Doha so much?"

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=829717

Irishbeekeeper May 10th 2014 1:51 pm

I ask myself that every morning I wake up...
then by night time I drown the thoughts in pints of bitter and have forgotten all about it....till the next morning ;)

mrlowry May 10th 2014 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by Irishbeekeeper (Post 11254884)
I ask myself that every morning I wake up...
then by night time I drown the thoughts in pints of bitter and have forgotten all about it....till the next morning ;)

my buddy feels like that all month he said until he gets that 6 figure monthly sms salary deposit then the bad thoughts just disappear.

Irishbeekeeper May 10th 2014 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by mrlowry (Post 11254904)
my buddy feels like that all month he said until he gets that 6 figure monthly sms salary deposit then the bad thoughts just disappear.

6 figure monthly? nice!

mrlowry May 10th 2014 2:32 pm

yea i know, hes a hard worker, does a 3 hour round trip commute daily and works his butt off in the middle of the ocean. He says he likes doing what hes doing and takes pride in it, been doing it for 25 years but the pay gradually went up, always the first one in and last to leave.

Bahtatboy May 10th 2014 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by Irishbeekeeper (Post 11254935)
6 figure monthly? nice!

He's paid in Yen.