British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Internet passwords (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/internet-passwords-705198/)

kittycat1 Feb 13th 2011 8:26 am

Internet passwords

Ok so I've bleached my hair a bit more than normal- and as you know bleach gets sucked into the brain and makes you a bit dim. So as much as you may take the piss out of me for being dumb I am sure I am not the only one that has a problem with this. What am I rambling on about, well;

Internet passwords- I have been trying to check my online banking for the last week but have forgotten the username/password- dur I hear you cry- I know, I know, however, how the hell are you menat to remember all these bloody passwords- usernames etc especially when some are only 6 letters, some are over 15 some are a mix of letters and numbers, some you have to change regularly - arghhh!!!

So I got to thinking what crap I have to remember and came up with the following (and I'm sure there are dozens more but can't even remember them let alone the bloody usernames);

My name
facebook- username and password
hotmail username and password (which has to be changed ever 90 days)
personal website- username and password
UK bank- username and password
UK credit card x2 - username and password
Dubai Bank- user name and password
Twitter- username and password
BE- username and password
Linked in- username and password
5 workrelated networking accounts- username and password
DEWA- username and password
work email- username and password
ebay- username and password
paypal- username and password

and then phone banking numbers etc as well-

Oh my god - no wonder my brain hurts!

Can they please invent a touchscreen that detcts your fingerprint or something so that we don't have to waste our valuable brainspace remebering a million different passwords etc

Rant over! brain hurts now- again!

Kittycat xxx

Bahtatboy Feb 13th 2011 8:32 am

Re: Internet passwords

Buy a PROPER password manager program (eg eWallet), but keep a backup somewhere just in case. Backup could be electronic (eg in your hotmail a/c), or hard copy. For an electronic backup, you could write it in your own code (attuned to how your synapses are wired), similarly for a hard copy kept somewhere easy to remember but hard to find.

CeeBee Feb 13th 2011 8:33 am

Um....you can buy laptops that scan your fingerprints which you can use instead of passwords. The software is called Password Bank.

You could probably actually but a USB attachment fingerprint scanner now too.

Spugsy Feb 13th 2011 8:56 am

Originally Posted by kittycat1 (Post 9172786)
Ok so I've bleached my hair a bit more than normal- and as you know bleach gets sucked into the brain and makes you a bit dim. So as much as you may take the piss out of me for being dumb I am sure I am not the only one that has a problem with this. What am I rambling on about, well;

Internet passwords- I have been trying to check my online banking for the last week but have forgotten the username/password- dur I hear you cry- I know, I know, however, how the hell are you menat to remember all these bloody passwords- usernames etc especially when some are only 6 letters, some are over 15 some are a mix of letters and numbers, some you have to change regularly - arghhh!!!

So I got to thinking what crap I have to remember and came up with the following (and I'm sure there are dozens more but can't even remember them let alone the bloody usernames);

My name
facebook- username and password
hotmail username and password (which has to be changed ever 90 days)
personal website- username and password
UK bank- username and password
UK credit card x2 - username and password
Dubai Bank- user name and password
Twitter- username and password
BE- username and password
Linked in- username and password
5 workrelated networking accounts- username and password
DEWA- username and password
work email- username and password
ebay- username and password
paypal- username and password

and then phone banking numbers etc as well-

Oh my god - no wonder my brain hurts!

Can they please invent a touchscreen that detcts your fingerprint or something so that we don't have to waste our valuable brainspace remebering a million different passwords etc

Rant over! brain hurts now- again!

Kittycat xxx

numbered passwords I put in my phone, other ones are usually the same or around about the same.

shiva Feb 13th 2011 9:03 am

http://howsecureismypassword.net/

mine is dead easy to remember and would take 540,000 yrs to crack, woo hoo

Autonomy Feb 13th 2011 9:54 am

Originally Posted by shiva (Post 9172851)

I have no idea how - but some spammer twat hacked my gmail over the weekend.

Looked at the blackberry and saw 200 emails in 1 hour - thought they'd just used my gmail address, but no - they were sent from my account, I checked the sent log.

Very worrying - how the hell did they hack it... not a bad password with letters and numbers - but from now I am looking to get this whole password thing sorted out once and for all - will check these password bank things.

Ethos83 Feb 13th 2011 10:00 am

Never mind.

Charismatic Feb 13th 2011 11:38 am

<Feels less guilty for making all his passwords "Password1">

Purdey Feb 13th 2011 1:02 pm

Get a password manager like 1Password (Mac and PC and iPhone) or KeePass.
These will generate secure passwords if you want or use whatever passwords you use now. You only need to remember one secure password.
They integrate with your web browser for ease of use - you just click to enter the saved p/w.
You can save your password keychain in Dropbox so that they sync with all your devices and are available anywhere.

Bob Feb 13th 2011 1:54 pm

http://www.filehippo.com/download_keepass/

For the above Keep Pass.

Just remember the one master password, keep the thing on your thumb drive, or on drop box as suggested...works a treat.

weasel central Feb 14th 2011 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by shiva (Post 9172851)

I tried mine and it said something similar about how long it takes, but I can use a generator on a reasonable PC to crack it within about 20minutes. Its a finite process because you can only use the caracters on the keyboard and most people don't have longer than 10 letters or numbers.
however most cracking isnt done with this kind of process especially web accounts because of the limits to wrong entry before the account is locked.
You are looking at programs like keystroke loggers and simple spyware to do it.
The likes of excel sheet locks, and programs held on your hard drive can be easily cracked with the permuatation programs I mentioned above.

hope that makes you feel better ;)

shiva Feb 14th 2011 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by weasel central (Post 9175414)
I tried mine and it said something similar about how long it takes, but I can use a generator on a reasonable PC to crack it within about 20minutes. Its a finite process because you can only use the caracters on the keyboard and most people don't have longer than 10 letters or numbers.
however most cracking isnt done with this kind of process especially web accounts because of the limits to wrong entry before the account is locked.
You are looking at programs like keystroke loggers and simple spyware to do it.
The likes of excel sheet locks, and programs held on your hard drive can be easily cracked with the permuatation programs I mentioned above.

hope that makes you feel better ;)

yup basically if you use any form of technology your screwed whatever you do, best bet is make it easier to screw someone else instead.

i can use ascii characters plus regular to do a version of my most used password, it would allegedly take 29 million yrs to crack but it takes me a similar amount of time to enter it so **** it......