British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Which internet news page? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/internet-news-page-808579/)

mikewot Sep 8th 2013 5:33 pm

Which internet news page?

OK I'm really at the end of my tether with the BBC news pages now. Too much bias to make it worth ploughing through. So which page gets your vote as telling news without a slant?

Boomhauer Sep 8th 2013 6:32 pm

Re: Which internet news page?

Don't think one can get relatively even handed news from 1 site; I visit several sites from right to left .

Jim Smith Sep 8th 2013 6:41 pm

drudgereport.com has lots of choices!

The Dean Sep 8th 2013 6:45 pm

pressgazette.co.uk :thumbup: (I'm assuming you want British news, not the global stuff?)

[Edit: hang on - that's not the one I meant - that's just a very good one about the media industry - I'll get back to you with the one I was thinking of - when I think of it............. :o ]

NorthernLad Sep 9th 2013 3:10 am

Originally Posted by mikewot (Post 10891570)
OK I'm really at the end of my tether with the BBC news pages now. Too much bias to make it worth ploughing through. So which page gets your vote as telling news without a slant?

I use http://www.newsnow.co.uk/h/World+News/Middle+East then go through top headlines.

scrubbedexpat141 Sep 9th 2013 4:43 am

In what way is the BBC bias?

I hear lots of people say things like this, but it's never bothered me. So I'm either bias in the same way or just skim read to pick the basic info...

shiva Sep 9th 2013 5:02 am

The Times is usually my fist stop

then it just depends on what kind of news I'm after, world news, tech etc.

I'm looking at Reddit more as it picks up many stories that are missed elsewhere or are a bit odd etc. half the cited sources are bonkers but that adds to the irreverent effect.

TheShed Sep 9th 2013 5:08 am

I'm probably biased as I used to work there, but when there are important issues around and I just want facts rather than opinion, its always the Reuters app on my mobile.

jam25mack Sep 9th 2013 6:42 am

My Mrs swears by RT but she's a bit of a conspiracy nut anyway and it's not to my taste.

Personally I read the Daily Fail for 'general stories' and then The Guardian if I want to know more.

The BBC has been sliding down the slippery pole for quite a while now. There sports pages are getting worse by the day.

scrubbedexpat141 Sep 9th 2013 6:44 am

Originally Posted by jam25mack (Post 10892124)
The BBC has been sliding down the slippery pole for quite a while now. There sports pages are getting worse by the day.

This is awkward.

http://assets.diylol.com/hfs/5c4/a37...ing-d87563.jpg

jam25mack Sep 9th 2013 6:48 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 10892129)

Ha ha ha...

Meow Sep 9th 2013 8:11 am

Originally Posted by shiva (Post 10892059)
The Times is usually my fist stop

then it just depends on what kind of news I'm after, world news, tech etc.

I'm looking at Reddit more as it picks up many stories that are missed elsewhere or are a bit odd etc. half the cited sources are bonkers but that adds to the irreverent effect.

Fist stop? ;)

I have a subscription to the Times, but I think every newspaper has some agenda. The trick is to take that into consideration. The paper is definintely to the right of my views, but, in the past at least, didn't bludgeon the reader with opinions.

I have pretty much stopped reading the main part of The Subday Times as it's gone really down-market and at times is verging on the awful NOTW.

I'm with others; best to read lots of news sources and distill the views therein.

Kix Sep 9th 2013 8:21 am

Daily Mail - although it's a bit left wing for my taste.

shiva Sep 9th 2013 8:32 am

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 10892201)
Fist stop? ;)

I have a subscription to the Times, but I think every newspaper has some agenda. The trick is to take that into consideration. The paper is definintely to the right of my views, but, in the past at least, didn't bludgeon the reader with opinions.

I have pretty much stopped reading the main part of The Subday Times as it's gone really down-market and at times is verging on the awful NOTW.

I'm with others; best to read lots of news sources and distill the views therein.

I do like to shake a clenched hand at the stupidity of the world in the mornings

Meow Sep 9th 2013 8:51 am

Originally Posted by Kix (Post 10892212)
Daily Mail - although it's a bit left wing for my taste.

*bites tongue*

*sits on hands*

The_Citizen Sep 9th 2013 8:52 am

Daily Sport anyone?

Robajob Sep 9th 2013 11:40 am

Pan Arabia Enquirer

Boomhauer Sep 9th 2013 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 10892047)
In what way is the BBC bias?

I hear lots of people say things like this, but it's never bothered me. So I'm either bias in the same way or just skim read to pick the basic info...

Yeah , I too hear it but Beeb seems one of the more even handed sites.

scrubbedexpat141 Sep 9th 2013 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by Boomhauer (Post 10892738)
Yeah , I too hear it but Beeb seems one of the more even handed sites.

To be honest, I'm not that fussy. I don't really understand how news pages can be bias about everything...sure, they can criticise Mr Cameron for a decision if they're a bit more pro-Labour (for example), but that wouldn't really bug me I don't think.

The Dean Sep 9th 2013 7:07 pm

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 10892765)
To be honest, I'm not that fussy. I don't really understand how news pages can be bias about everything...sure, they can criticise Mr Cameron for a decision if they're a bit more pro-Labour (for example), but that wouldn't really bug me I don't think.

The BBC has a policy of ONLY advertising for new editorial, research, production, etc, staff in The Guardian........... go figure.

Their blatant pro-Euro/Brussels/EU stance really sticks in my throat.