Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Interesting thread on reddit. Any thoughts?

Interesting thread on reddit. Any thoughts?

Old Aug 2nd 2016, 9:44 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Interesting thread on reddit. Any thoughts?

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH
Is DXB just too expensive for 30 somethings?

https://www.reddit.com/r/dubai/comme...30_somethings/

I posted a few times (yeah, you can find me too easily, mea culpa). But wondering what the good folks of this board might have to say, based on your experiences in the UAE?

Is what we pay to live in the UAE (rents, cost of living) worth the money?

What percentage of western expats leave the UAE financially better off, mildly better off or not better off at all? If I had to hazard a guess I'd say a third in each group.
The theory seems to be that at least half of Western expats leave here no better off than when they arrived, at least that's what my colleagues and I reckon and we have a fairly good handle on these things.

School fees are the killer and not enough people do sufficient research when planning to move to the UAE. And it's not just the school fees, it's the add-ons for children, clothing, activities and the expectations. Fewer and fewer companies are offering all-in packages to middle range staff.

There are also plenty of people on good incomes, saving decent amounts, but you don't hear from them as they just get on with relatively normal lives.
Old Aug 2nd 2016, 10:58 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Meow on the money again.

I know plenty who are worse off.

That being said, depending on your status and stage in life, the money isn't everything. When I moved here having just turned 23 the old man said; if you come back in 3 years with no money saved but have had a ****ing ball then it will have been well worth it.
Old Aug 2nd 2016, 11:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
I know plenty who are worse off.
I'm sure that this is what they tell you.
Old Aug 2nd 2016, 11:30 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

So you think they aren't telling the truth and are exaggerating their situation?

Originally Posted by Millhouse
I consider myself better off but I'm always mindful of potential opportunities costs. I think many don't factor in those as it's quite often difficult to do so.
Old Aug 2nd 2016, 11:35 am
Banned

iggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond repute

So you think they aren't telling the truth and are exaggerating their situation?

I consider myself better off but I'm always mindful of potential opportunities costs. I think many don't factor in those as it's quite often difficult to do so.
Of course they moan, its passive aggressive way of getting the rent/fees down or maybe its just an excuse for failing in life?
Old Aug 2nd 2016, 11:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Both. I rarely trust what anyone in the UAE tells me. Especially on these matters.
Old Aug 2nd 2016, 11:42 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Both. I rarely trust what anyone in the UAE tells me. Especially on these matters.
I get your point but when they ask to borrow money, you know they're struggling.
Old Aug 2nd 2016, 11:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I get your point but when they ask to borrow money, you know they're struggling.
Hope you say no.
Old Aug 2nd 2016, 11:58 am
Banned

iggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond repute

Hope you say no.
HELL YEAH!!!

First month of moving here, so many people were asking me for money (i am tight as F anyway so there was no chance) My boss said this to me "If you give people money, usually they are asking everyone and about to run away"
Old Aug 2nd 2016, 12:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by iggle
HELL YEAH!!!

First month of moving here, so many people were asking me for money (i am tight as F anyway so there was no chance) My boss said this to me "If you give people money, usually they are asking everyone and about to run away"
Millhouse credit department has strict rules on lending money:

1) To those I have sex with (in which case I do not expect it back)
2) To my team assistant as she would rather die than not repay me (and so far has always borrowed from others)

So given this strict underwriting criteria, I do not lend money and have no opportunity to lend money.
Old Aug 2nd 2016, 12:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

Ouch, mate. Sorry to hear about your sex life

Millhouse credit department has strict rules on lending money:

1) To those I have sex with (in which case I do not expect it back)
2) To my team assistant as she would rather die than not repay me (and so far has always borrowed from others)

So given this strict underwriting criteria, I do not lend money and have no opportunity to lend money.
Old Aug 2nd 2016, 12:20 pm
Account Closed

Hope you say no.
Only once said yes.

A month or so ago, because if he's asking, he's tried everything and has no other option.

He's now chasing me to pay it back - I'm just being belligerent about going to get it in cash because I want it transferred to my account so I don't have to go to a bank.

If 99% of people I know asked, it'd be a flat no.
Old Aug 2nd 2016, 12:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
The theory seems to be that at least half of Western expats leave here no better off than when they arrived, at least that's what my colleagues and I reckon and we have a fairly good handle on these things.

School fees are the killer and not enough people do sufficient research when planning to move to the UAE. And it's not just the school fees, it's the add-ons for children, clothing, activities and the expectations. Fewer and fewer companies are offering all-in packages to middle range staff.

There are also plenty of people on good incomes, saving decent amounts, but you don't hear from them as they just get on with relatively normal lives.
school fees, brunches, expensive cars etc.

we made a decision to downsize to a smaller apartment when we moved from Singapore to Dubai. I avoid brunches as I work Fridays and although I have a fairly nice motor I paid cash for it.

5 years in Singapore basically killed my savings after losing my job 6 months after moving there (2008) and taking a crappy replacement job. building them back up here.
Old Aug 2nd 2016, 12:55 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Inselaffen
school fees, brunches, expensive cars etc.

we made a decision to downsize to a smaller apartment when we moved from Singapore to Dubai. I avoid brunches as I work Fridays and although I have a fairly nice motor I paid cash for it.

5 years in Singapore basically killed my savings after losing my job 6 months after moving there (2008) and taking a crappy replacement job. building them back up here.
2 nights out and 3 days in Singapore emptied my savings.
Old Aug 2nd 2016, 1:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond repute

2 nights out and 3 days in Singapore emptied my savings.
Orchard Road, Four Floors???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.