British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Interesting thread on reddit. Any thoughts? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/interesting-thread-reddit-any-thoughts-881301/)

DXBtoDOH Aug 2nd 2016 7:37 am

Interesting thread on reddit. Any thoughts?

Is DXB just too expensive for 30 somethings?

https://www.reddit.com/r/dubai/comme...30_somethings/

I posted a few times (yeah, you can find me too easily, mea culpa). But wondering what the good folks of this board might have to say, based on your experiences in the UAE?

Is what we pay to live in the UAE (rents, cost of living) worth the money?

What percentage of western expats leave the UAE financially better off, mildly better off or not better off at all? If I had to hazard a guess I'd say a third in each group.

iggle Aug 2nd 2016 7:59 am

Re: Interesting thread on reddit. Any thoughts?

Unless i am on 60k plus a month, my kids will not be raised here.

Inselaffen Aug 2nd 2016 8:01 am

I'm a 40 something and find I can save far more here than I could living in Europe (or Singapore). no kids though so that helps

iggle Aug 2nd 2016 8:07 am

Originally Posted by Inselaffen (Post 12017746)
I'm a 40 something and find I can save far more here than I could living in Europe (or Singapore). no kids though so that helps

No shittttttttttttttttt - your no different to a 20 year old. Maybe saving more because your not partying and chasing Ukrainian crew girls.

The reason your saving so much is because you need a smaller apartment and have no school fees. The two most expensive items in the UAE (Schools and Accom)

IKnowNothing Aug 2nd 2016 8:22 am

Money just keeps corrupt bankers and governments (UK Included) in million dollar bonuses. Screw them all and live off grid trading "stuff".

IKnowNothing Aug 2nd 2016 8:30 am

Oh, and £9 a pint, and £6 for a McDs....

Tax free? I think not.

Bahtatboy Aug 2nd 2016 8:52 am

Bit of a meaningless thread, because there's a huge range of 30-somethings. It all boils down to the same equation: life's like a shit sandwich, and the more bread you have the better it tastes (or, alternatively, the less shit you have to eat).

Irishbeekeeper Aug 2nd 2016 9:18 am

Originally Posted by iggle (Post 12017750)
No shittttttttttttttttt - your no different to a 20 year old. Maybe saving more because your not partying and chasing Ukrainian crew girls.

The reason your saving so much is because you need a smaller apartment and have no school fees. The two most expensive items in the UAE (Schools and Accom)

agreed x 100
school and rent is the killer here
if I was living alone here I would definitely save a lot more....there would be a lot of walk of shames involved as well but yeah still worth it if i was living alone but to be honest I cant imagine living without the kids

I like some of the points made in that thread. Free schooling (good decent schooling) is a priority for any major city if it wants itself to be taken seriously as a place to live permanently. Same goes for free healthcare as well. Everything is focused on taking money from you but I really cant see anything focused on giving back to you too much. Agreed that the clean roads, good security situation, non-stop provision of water/electricity is there but that is available in all Major cities of the world.
I think the second point about middle class families coming in and moving on after a few years only to be replaced by fresh ones is crucial in what is keeping most of it running here.

Millhouse Aug 2nd 2016 9:29 am

They can always leave if the economics don't work for them. No one forces them.

Try renting in London and buying a season ticket from (say) zone 6 to the city. Suddenly, the 90k GBP job (which lets be honest most do not have) after taxes,rent and travel costs suddenly looks a lot less appealing.

Remember, we all left years ago - it is not uncommon for rent to be 50%+ of UK take-home salary these days. And the number of renters has rocketed in recent years.

UAE gets expensive only when you have kids. If you more than two, the economics become very difficult. Less than two, I think you'll better off here. Two is the inflection point for most.

Anyway, every year for the last 8 years I've heard people leaving due to the cost of living. When you come only for the money, the costs become the sole focal point.

Millhouse Aug 2nd 2016 9:30 am

Originally Posted by IKnowNothing (Post 12017762)
Oh, and £9 a pint, and £6 for a McDs....

Tax free? I think not.

Nobody forces you to drink the beer and a big mac meal is about a fiver these days in the UK.

iggle Aug 2nd 2016 9:32 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 12017798)
Anyway, every year for the last 8 years I've heard people leaving due to the cost of living. When you come only for the money, the costs become the sole focal point.

I am only here for money, no other reason. It's what gets me up in the morning, its what drives me, it what stops me from knocking people out at work :thumbsup:

Edit
oh and chasing blonde Russian Crew Girls. That drives me, they cost money.

Millhouse Aug 2nd 2016 9:34 am

Originally Posted by iggle (Post 12017800)
I am only here for money, no other reason. It's what gets me up in the morning, its what drives me, it what stops me from knocking people out at work :thumbsup:

In my experience, you won't last very long.

iggle Aug 2nd 2016 9:36 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 12017803)
In my experience, you won't last very long.

2 years now, and not looking to leave.

Millhouse Aug 2nd 2016 9:38 am

Originally Posted by iggle (Post 12017804)
2 years now, and not looking to leave.

Good job. I've always found those that come only for money become really bitter and unhappy. They ultimately end up in the Trap bar getting free pizzas and holidaying in Thailand.

iggle Aug 2nd 2016 9:41 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 12017806)
Good job. I've always found those that come only for money become really bitter and unhappy. They ultimately end up in the Trap bar getting free pizzas and holidaying in Thailand.

Oh you've met "Iknownothing" as well