British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Insect bites (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/insect-bites-596316/)

Spugsy Mar 9th 2009 7:28 am

Insect bites

I get them all the time, and I mean that, at Christmas I had some horrific ones on my ankles, I got an allergic reaction and they were all over, a few years back in BArca and also when I lived in Oz I got mosquito bites the whole time,

I now sport two rather fetching massive welts on my arm from god knows what, dead itchy, I have anti histimes to take and some stuff I got last time, but mrs spugsy is fine,

now I don't mean to whine on, but is there anything I can do to help myself not get bitten? Anything I can take? any sort of tablets or change my diet or anything??

(and I will hit the first person who says 'eat raw garlic')

Ta. :confused:

Bison Mar 9th 2009 7:31 am

Re: Insect bites

I get the same problem, basically get these raid plug ins and stick them in every room of the house, they work! Also every week, spray pif paf around you house and evacuate for a few hours as you won't be able to breath. Turn your matress once a month and make sure you wash your covers and duvet often as there are bed bugs/dust mites here.

Touch wood, the above has seemed to work.

Bison

Blue Cat Mar 9th 2009 7:45 am

Originally Posted by Spugsy (Post 7358868)
I get them all the time, and I mean that, at Christmas I had some horrific ones on my ankles, I got an allergic reaction and they were all over, a few years back in BArca and also when I lived in Oz I got mosquito bites the whole time,

I now sport two rather fetching massive welts on my arm from god knows what, dead itchy, I have anti histimes to take and some stuff I got last time, but mrs spugsy is fine,

now I don't mean to whine on, but is there anything I can do to help myself not get bitten? Anything I can take? any sort of tablets or change my diet or anything??

just get some spray and do all exposed area's everyday, I am same as you I get massive lumps all over, I think it is because we have brown eyes! my Mother is the same. My blue eyed mates never suffer.

Inselaffen Mar 9th 2009 7:46 am

Mozzies are a problem here too and if you are unlcuky you can end up with Dengue fever.

the little B#stards love biting me!

Bison Mar 9th 2009 7:46 am

just get some spray and do all exposed area's everyday, I am same as you I get massive lumps all over, I think it is because we have brown eyes! my Mother is the same. My blue eyed mates never suffer.
I've got bright blue sexy eyes, i suffer with it, so your theory is flawed.

Blue Cat Mar 9th 2009 7:50 am

:)

Originally Posted by Bison (Post 7358908)
I've got bright blue sexy eyes, i suffer with it, so your theory is flawed.

oh well that's the end of that then :)

MacScot Mar 9th 2009 8:01 am

From my experience in Oz and PNG (mainly mangrove sandflies):

Prevention:
Many people(e.g., fishers) bitten by sandflies in Australia swear by Vitamin B1 tablets to avoid bites.

Summer camps in OZ from 20 years experience found that a 50/50 mixture of Dettol/baby oil dabbed on vulnerable areas (ankles, elbows etc)...prevented bites.

After being bitten:
If you're oversensitive, take anti-histamine tablets to stop the itching.

If you have been bitten and have the itches, wet the bites with water and rub a soluble asprin on the bite area. Instant relief.

Kim67 Mar 9th 2009 8:03 am

I bought a pretty good repellant at a pharmacy here in Dubai (I was out of my aussie stuff), it's called "Moustidose Lotion". Comes in a little white 100ml spray bottle. The smell is not too offensive and the kids even wear it to bed if there are mozzies buzzing around.

Hello.Kitty Mar 9th 2009 9:02 am

I second the Raid diffuser plug-in things - you can even have the windows open and the room is still covered.

Apart from the insect repellant sprays, citronella oil works really well (and smells pretty nice imo - and passably manly! lol!). You can get citronella candles, oil burners et al for outdoor BBQs and I'm sure somewhere like L'Occitane or Body Shop will do essential oil that you can splurge on yourself.

Oh yes, and I swear by Calamine lotion daubed on any bites overnight - as long as the skin isn't broken or the bite infected. Calms them right down.

Spugsy Mar 9th 2009 9:36 am

Originally Posted by Hello.Kitty (Post 7359063)
I second the Raid diffuser plug-in things - you can even have the windows open and the room is still covered.

Apart from the insect repellant sprays, citronella oil works really well (and smells pretty nice imo - and passably manly! lol!). You can get citronella candles, oil burners et al for outdoor BBQs and I'm sure somewhere like L'Occitane or Body Shop will do essential oil that you can splurge on yourself.

Oh yes, and I swear by Calamine lotion daubed on any bites overnight - as long as the skin isn't broken or the bite infected. Calms them right down.

where do you get the raid things from then?

Inselaffen Mar 9th 2009 9:37 am

Originally Posted by Spugsy (Post 7359162)
where do you get the raid things from then?

any supermarket

Bodach Mar 9th 2009 9:44 am

Originally Posted by Inselaffen (Post 7359165)
any supermarket

Cheap alternative and it works as I have used it in the Highlands to keep the dreaded midgy at bay is Avon skin so soft, I kid you not, seen highland gamekeepers using it.

Bod.

Meow Mar 9th 2009 10:08 am

Originally Posted by Spugsy (Post 7358868)

Go & buy a bottle of Brewers Yeast tablets and take 3-4 a day. After a few weeks you will barely get bitten. Contains B vitamins and changes the way your skin smells to biting insects. Eating loads of Marmite will have the same effect.

I have been doing this for years and I promise it works, provided you take them every day.

-

Spugsy Mar 9th 2009 10:10 am

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 7359251)
Go & buy a bottle of Brewers Yeast tablets and take 3-4 a day. After a few weeks you will barely get bitten. Contains B vitamins and changes the way your skin smells to biting insects. Eating loads of Marmite will have the same effect.

I have been doing this for years and I promise it works, provided you take them every day.

-

thats why mrs spugs never gets bitten, Marmite!

Meow Mar 9th 2009 10:13 am

Originally Posted by Spugsy (Post 7359260)
thats why mrs spugs never gets bitten, Marmite!

Food of the gods with fringe benefits. :D

-