Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

The inevitable has happened........

The inevitable has happened........

Old Apr 14th 2009, 9:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The inevitable has happened........

Originally Posted by BangleMan
well as much as it was inevitable, have to say that Im sorry to see Luton fall out of the league. Never had much love for them during the 80's as they deprived West Ham of a couple of cup finals, but 17 years ago they were founder members of the Premier League, and are arguably the biggest club to fall out of the football league yet.

Will be interesting to see if they can come straight back up, but I guess that depends on whether or not they are going to keep their their players professional for a season or two or whether financial constraints mean they have to go part time.....maybe The Dean knows ?
Some interesting thoughts from the manager........... Nicholls will go, he'd be comfortable in the Championship and possibly even higher, and one or two of the best of the rest will end up at Brighton or MK Dons or wherever, but they are mostly under-23s who may well stay. I assume they'll stay a full-time club.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/foot..._3/7997286.stm
Old Apr 14th 2009, 10:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

I think pretty much all of the Conference teams are Full Time these days. They is no way Luton would get promoted if they went part-time.

Instant re-promotion is not that simple though. there are some decent teams down there. Don't forget Oxford United spent some time in the top league not that many years ago and they havnt been able to get their three sided ground back into the league.
Old Apr 14th 2009, 12:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Inselaffen
I think pretty much all of the Conference teams are Full Time these days. They is no way Luton would get promoted if they went part-time.

Instant re-promotion is not that simple though. there are some decent teams down there. Don't forget Oxford United spent some time in the top league not that many years ago and they havnt been able to get their three sided ground back into the league.
Agree - that's why so many Conference teams have good Cup runs. If Stevenage hadn't been shamefully refused their League place a few years ago (the FL 'clarified' the ground eligibility rules), they'd be in the Championship by now - what a good team that was.

And when Barry Fry's Barnet was sold off to pay Stan Flashman's gambling debts (Andy Clarke, Paul Showler, Keith Alexander, etc), they totalled a couple of million - huge money back then for part-timers.

I'd forgotten Oxford........ I was starting to worry that Luton were the first team that has played in the highest division to later fall out of the League. Phew.......
Old Apr 14th 2009, 12:09 pm

rowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond repute

Without the 30 point deduction they would have been half way up the league.
Old Apr 14th 2009, 12:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by rowell
Without the 30 point deduction they would have been half way up the league.
Could you not remind me of that please?

Thanks awfully...........
Old Apr 14th 2009, 1:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Dean
Agree - that's why so many Conference teams have good Cup runs. If Stevenage hadn't been shamefully refused their League place a few years ago (the FL 'clarified' the ground eligibility rules), they'd be in the Championship by now - what a good team that was.

And when Barry Fry's Barnet was sold off to pay Stan Flashman's gambling debts (Andy Clarke, Paul Showler, Keith Alexander, etc), they totalled a couple of million - huge money back then for part-timers.

I'd forgotten Oxford........ I was starting to worry that Luton were the first team that has played in the highest division to later fall out of the League. Phew.......
yup think you are the only 2.