Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

India - Shambles or Paradise

India - Shambles or Paradise

Old Sep 4th 2014, 9:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: India - Shambles or Paradise

Originally Posted by norsk
I am still wondering what the point is of all this bickering. Some of us (maybe most of us even) are slightly exasperated at the ridiculousness we have to endure when dealing with Indians we encounter in the Middle East.

What I don't get is why Bipat sees it as his mission to defend an entire country (actually ~14% of the world's population)? I'm pretty sure none of us think that every single person in India behaves the same way...

Then there is of course the shitting in the streets. That's pretty strange behaviour from a country which believes itself to be one of the most progressive economies in the world, but of course I don't think that everyone does it. And actually I don't think it happens in the same way anywhere else regardless of how poor or uneducated the people are so there has to be some other reason why this is somehow acceptable in India.
Because she is defending the country she lives in and her own family, friends, relatives etc etc.

Nobody shits in the streets. The very, very poor who have no proper lavatories go into fields or waste ground etc.
Yes it is a disgrace that in 68 years after independence this has not been put right by the Congress government. We expect the new government to act differently.

(My relatives think our shared bathroom in our UK house is somewhat primitive)
Old Sep 4th 2014, 9:44 am
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bipat
Because she is defending the country she lives in and her own family, friends, relatives etc etc.

Nobody shits in the streets. The very, very poor who have no proper lavatories go into fields or waste ground etc.
Yes it is a disgrace that in 68 years after independence this has not been put right by the Congress government. We expect the new government to act differently.

(My relatives think our shared bathroom in our UK house is somewhat primitive)
My bad! I didn't realise you were a lady..

I think that is the point. It happens! Frankly I think blaming the previous government for all issues is stupid. It's kind of like the whole country washing their hands of the problems that could have been dealt with along the way. If the government was so useless (and people were aware) then how come they didn't vote in someone else. You have to admit that your logic is full of holes...

UK bathrooms are fairly primitive though. I was in shock for years about carpets (not just on the floor but also on the front of the bath), separate taps for hot and cold water and lack of water pressure...
Old Sep 4th 2014, 9:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute

My bad! I didn't realise you were a lady..

I think that is the point. It happens! Frankly I think blaming the previous government for all issues is stupid. It's kind of like the whole country washing their hands of the problems that could have been dealt with along the way. If the government was so useless (and people were aware) then how come they didn't vote in someone else. You have to admit that your logic is full of holes...

UK bathrooms are fairly primitive though. I was in shock for years about carpets (not just on the floor but also on the front of the bath), separate taps for hot and cold water and lack of water pressure...
The new government was voted in 2 months ago by a landslide victory. Why it took so long a good question. Quite complicated.
As I have previously said there is a great difference between each state, depending on local Chief Ministers.
Congress Gov, corrupt, wealthy, 'bought' votes. The Gandhi name (nothing to do with the Mahatma) influenced the uneducated. They have finally woken up!!!
Old Sep 4th 2014, 9:58 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

The new government was voted in 2 months ago by a landslide victory.
Pardon the obvious pun, but I can almost guarantee this will be a classic case of 'same shit, different toilet'.

A new government might help a little but changing generations of endemic bribery, corruption and infighting will not be down to one government.
Old Sep 4th 2014, 10:03 am
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

What I don't get is why Bipat sees it as her mission to defend an entire country (actually ~14% of the world's population)?
Like an attack Chihuahua
Old Sep 4th 2014, 10:04 am
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute

The new government was voted in 2 months ago by a landslide victory. Why it took so long a good question. Quite complicated.
As I have previously said there is a great difference between each state, depending on local Chief Ministers.
Congress Gov, corrupt, wealthy, 'bought' votes. The Gandhi name (nothing to do with the Mahatma) influenced the uneducated. They have finally woken up!!!
I know it is a recent change, but I just think it is too simplistic to assume that all faults in the country were down to a 'bad' government. After all India is a democracy, ie the people ultimately rule. The size of the country is obviously a challenge as local authorities may choose to ignore the federal policies, but again the people are in control.

It's still early days of course, but honestly I don't think Modi will make much of a difference. His real agenda is not necessarily what he is publicly claiming it to be. And even if he does somehow turn out to be the saviour then it will take a long time before the changes take effect on a broader scale.
Old Sep 4th 2014, 10:10 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Corruption aside for a moment; this is hardly the markings of a progressive, world leading nation; Another girl raped and killed for nothing
Old Sep 4th 2014, 10:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Scamp
Pardon the obvious pun, but I can almost guarantee this will be a classic case of 'same shit, different toilet'.

A new government might help a little but changing generations of endemic bribery, corruption and infighting will not be down to one government.
I think I used the wrong word in "government", 'political party' would have been more accurate. Mr Modi has already made significant changes even in a few weeks. Of course it will take longer to make all his planned changes.
Yes corruption will continue (if you really need something you will pay, and so it goes on).

Do you really have experience first hand of Indian politics to make sweeping statements of "almost guarantee"?
Old Sep 4th 2014, 10:17 am
Account Closed

I think I used the wrong word in "government", 'political party' would have been more accurate. Mr Modi has already made significant changes even in a few weeks. Of course it will take longer to make all his planned changes.
Yes corruption will continue (if you really need something you will pay, and so it goes on).

Do you really have experience first hand of Indian politics to make sweeping statements of "almost guarantee"?
No, I've never voted in India, I've never followed any of the elections, I've never ever ever been interested in the outcome or who's running. It's like me being interested in what's happening in Indonesia or Liberia. It's irrelevant. It has no influence on the rest of the world in all reality.

I tell you what, let's wait and see. Let's wait and see if India suddenly becomes a utopia without widespread corruption (over 70% of Indians admit to bribing someone at some point), without such appalling treatment of women, without people pissing and shitting in the streets and perhaps with a government/political party who focus on what the country needs instead of trying to get into space.

I'm not much of a gambling man, unless it's on the footie occasionally but I'd be willing to bet you 1,000 dirhams that his party/government doesn't change anywhere near enough to even scratch the surface of such a monstrous challenge.
Old Sep 4th 2014, 10:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I know it is a recent change, but I just think it is too simplistic to assume that all faults in the country were down to a 'bad' government. After all India is a democracy, ie the people ultimately rule. The size of the country is obviously a challenge as local authorities may choose to ignore the federal policies, but again the people are in control.

It's still early days of course, but honestly I don't think Modi will make much of a difference. His real agenda is not necessarily what he is publicly claiming it to be. And even if he does somehow turn out to be the saviour then it will take a long time before the changes take effect on a broader scale.
In general the people are not in control, with the vast population and vast differences in wealth. Previous election in a particular area all voters were give £5 to vote by Congress!!!! Just an example.

What is Modi's real agenda. Explain and I can pass on the message to all
Old Sep 4th 2014, 10:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Corruption aside for a moment; this is hardly the markings of a progressive, world leading nation; Another girl raped and killed for nothing
Nobody is raped, (or shot or knifed) in other progressive nations such as USA or UK???
Old Sep 4th 2014, 10:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

No, I've never voted in India, I've never followed any of the elections, I've never ever ever been interested in the outcome or who's running. It's like me being interested in what's happening in Indonesia or Liberia. It's irrelevant. It has no influence on the rest of the world in all reality.

I tell you what, let's wait and see. Let's wait and see if India suddenly becomes a utopia without widespread corruption (over 70% of Indians admit to bribing someone at some point), without such appalling treatment of women, without people pissing and shitting in the streets and perhaps with a government/political party who focus on what the country needs instead of trying to get into space.

I'm not much of a gambling man, unless it's on the footie occasionally but I'd be willing to bet you 1,000 dirhams that his party/government doesn't change anywhere near enough to even scratch the surface of such a monstrous challenge.
"No influence", read the newspapers, look at the Japan visit and China already grumbling.

No it will not be a utopia, is any country?

What is bribing? if you mean paying extra to get what you rightfully should be getting and need, then probably 100%.
It is a top down practice. It has to stop from the top!

As I said above people do NOT shit in the streets.
(I remember even in the 1970's being reprimanded by a passing police constable in Mumbai, when my toddler son urinated in a gutter-- and he didn't ask for money!!!(the officer I mean)
Old Sep 4th 2014, 10:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Cypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to behold

Nobody is raped, (or shot or knifed) in other progressive nations such as USA or UK???
Not generally as a punishment for a squabble about a over a tractor...
Old Sep 4th 2014, 10:59 am
Account Closed

"No influence", read the newspapers, look at the Japan visit and China already grumbling.

No it will not be a utopia, is any country?

What is bribing? if you mean paying extra to get what you rightfully should be getting and need, then probably 100%.
It is a top down practice. It has to stop from the top!

As I said above people do NOT shit in the streets.
(I remember even in the 1970's being reprimanded by a passing police constable in Mumbai, when my toddler son urinated in a gutter-- and he didn't ask for money!!!(the officer I mean)
So you live there then? Full time, all year round?
Old Sep 4th 2014, 11:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

So you live there then? Full time, all year round?
No, not full time, have always split our time between there and UK. In UK for 3months at the moment, returning in Oct. OH came first to UK in his late 20s.

But we do know what goes on politically, full time. To and fro emails/phone calls and OH glued to NDTV all pm. Why do you think I escape to BE????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.