Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

An important question re banks, financing, loans, etc...

An important question re banks, financing, loans, etc...

Old Nov 24th 2008, 1:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Confucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: An important question re banks, financing, loans, etc...

Originally Posted by still.unsure
as nice as that would be, my understanding is that no, the debt doesn't disappear when the bank stops trading. instead, your 'debt' (i.e. USD$10k) becomes and 'asset' to the administrators of the receivership. the administrators, being responsible for repaying any of citi's creditors, would pursue you for the USD$10k (or as much of it as possible) so that they could use it to repay the creditors to citi. what i understand happens in reality is that your debt to citi is then sold to specific debt collectors (who pay maybe $0.70 in the $1 for it, allowing the administrators to get some money for it now) and then the debt collectors come after you for it.

so, to cut through all that, no, don't go nuts on your citibank card, someone will eventually come asking for you to repay it (it may just not be citibank...)
The irony is, Citibank wants me to get their preapproved credit cards...
I see the dynamics of the situation now that you've clarified it a bit more...
Old Nov 24th 2008, 1:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Confucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eva
Yes there is a kinda 'guarantor' arangement too.Please I am only speaking generally here.
I don't use personal credit cards,so I can't say definitively.
I see...Hmmm...
Old Nov 24th 2008, 1:52 pm

still.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Confucius
No, I fell for you...Smartass...

Really, I'm under the impression that they get you to pay an insurance (Credit Shield, or something) when you get the monthly statement on the card, I always thought its to pay off the debt in case the cardholder emigrates to the other planet...
And also, as for car or personal loans, IIRC, they also let you pay in advance an insurance premium in advance all in one go...
Please some banker, or an Indie, correct me if I'm wrong...
the insurance part is (usually) to protect the bank (and your credit rating) if you become unable to make the minimum repayments (b/c of illness, loss of job, etc.).

it all becomes null & void if the bank goes bust and the insurance doesn't protect you once the debt has been sold to another party.

(am sure that there's more enlightened ppl that can add to this!)
Old Nov 24th 2008, 1:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by still.unsure
the insurance part is (usually) to protect the bank (and your credit rating) if you become unable to make the minimum repayments (b/c of illness, loss of job, etc.).

it all becomes null & void if the bank goes bust and the insurance doesn't protect you once the debt has been sold to another party.

(am sure that there's more enlightened ppl that can add to this!)
We'll wait for them to also clarify...
Thanks muchly for your input...
It's time for you to get a karma...Your 1 box will become 8 now...
Old Nov 24th 2008, 1:56 pm
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Eva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Confucius
We'll wait for them to also clarify...
Thanks muchly for your input...
It's time for you to get a karma...Your 1 box will become 8 now...

Where's mine????