Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

IMF warns Dubai about another property bubble...

IMF warns Dubai about another property bubble...

Old Oct 7th 2013, 4:11 pm
Just Joined

waltair is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: IMF warns Dubai about another property bubble...

I read in big letters in an old copy of the Gulf News that "Dubai Real Estate will never fall"

And why would it? Dubai is one of the world's top tourist destinations! This is a luxury, exclusive, one-in-a-lifetime freehold investment opportunity! A fantastic, guaranteed window of opportunity (closing fast) to participate in the INCREDIBLE growth of not only Dubai, but the entire middle east region!

All we need is a little liberalization for the kind of sheesa that I am smoking, and we can not fail.
Old Oct 8th 2013, 7:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Maxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond repute

This question may sound stupid but:

Why are rising rents and property prices seen as good for an economy ?

And in a city where probably 95% of property is rented and not bought, why would higher rents lead to increased consumer spending ?

http://www.thenational.ae/thenationa...-economic-news

The positive adjustment is particularly good news for investors, some of whom have seen no return, or have suffered losses, on their property portfolios for several years. Better rental returns for investors should help build confidence across the economy, leading to increased consumer spending.
Old Oct 8th 2013, 8:26 am
Forum Regular

MAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Maxima
This question may sound stupid but:

Why are rising rents and property prices seen as good for an economy ?

And in a city where probably 95% of property is rented and not bought, why would higher rents lead to increased consumer spending ?

http://www.thenational.ae/thenationa...-economic-news

The positive adjustment is particularly good news for investors, some of whom have seen no return, or have suffered losses, on their property portfolios for several years. Better rental returns for investors should help build confidence across the economy, leading to increased consumer spending.
I'm far from qualified to answer this, but at a guess, the quote is referring to the investors - they see a better return (through rising rents), thus more cash in their pocket = more cash to spend.

Regarding the likes of myself who have to pay increased rent, then as per your question, I will have less cash to spend, so, how does that help the economy?
Old Oct 8th 2013, 8:34 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MAV_DXB
I'm far from qualified to answer this, but at a guess, the quote is referring to the investors - they see a better return (through rising rents), thus more cash in their pocket = more cash to spend.

Regarding the likes of myself who have to pay increased rent, then as per your question, I will have less cash to spend, so, how does that help the economy?
Its going to depend then on who are the bigger spenders investors or renters. But typically I'd imagine it is always consumer (renter) driven. As consumer confidence always seems to be the driver of western economies.
Old Oct 8th 2013, 9:27 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

There is an expectation that the Central Bank will once again be announcing a limit on LTVs for expats in the UAE. The maximum is currently 15%, but it is expected to be reduced to 25%.

Let's see if it sticks this time...
Old Oct 8th 2013, 3:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
There is an expectation that the Central Bank will once again be announcing a limit on LTVs for expats in the UAE. The maximum is currently 15%, but it is expected to be reduced to 25%.

OK I give up - 15% reduced to 25%?? I'm trying to work out what you meant to say......
Old Oct 8th 2013, 3:50 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow

Hmm, that is backwards!

Minimum deposit is currently 15% and is expected to change to 25%.

Apologies. I've been writing about domicile and IHT issues most of the day and my brain is scrambled.
Old Oct 9th 2013, 5:28 am
Soupy twist

Eeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by waltair
I read in big letters in an old copy of the Gulf News that "Dubai Real Estate will never fall"
In the late summer of 2008, someone very very VERY senior in one of the two main developers in Dubai was quoted in the local papers as saying that the global financial slowdown, which was just started to be acknowledged, would mean that Dubai property prices would skyrocket even further as the rest of the world poured its money into Dubai as a safe haven.

I wish I'd taken a copy of that article at the time. When I went back to look for it again about a year later, with the the local property crash in full swing, I couldn't find it. Funny that.
Old Oct 9th 2013, 5:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Maxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eeyore
In the late summer of 2008, someone very very VERY senior in one of the two main developers in Dubai was quoted in the local papers as saying that the global financial slowdown, which was just started to be acknowledged, would mean that Dubai property prices would skyrocket even further as the rest of the world poured its money into Dubai as a safe haven.

I wish I'd taken a copy of that article at the time. When I went back to look for it again about a year later, with the the local property crash in full swing, I couldn't find it. Funny that.
And in October 2008, when the Atlantis was opened with grand fireworks, local media wrote on how it was a sign that the "party is still going on", and that it proved how while the world would grapple with the Lehman after effects, Dubai would move forward
Old Oct 9th 2013, 6:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

And in October 2008, when the Atlantis was opened with grand fireworks, local media wrote on how it was a sign that the "party is still going on", and that it proved how while the world would grapple with the Lehman after effects, Dubai would move forward
How is the Atlantis doing financially? Is it mostly booked year round or mostly empty?
Old Oct 9th 2013, 8:11 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boomhauer
How is the Atlantis doing financially? Is it mostly booked year round or mostly empty?
busy but with package deals from other GCC countries, last time I went up there there must have been at 200 Arab women with kids and maids etc in the foyer. That couple of football top wearing Brits you might start to get the picture I did
Old Oct 9th 2013, 8:15 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

But the boss of DAMAC Properties, one of Dubai’s major developers, had little time for such talk. Ziad El Chaar told 7DAYS: “Everyone who wants to have their name in the press these days either talks about Miley Cyrus or the ‘bubble’.”

taken from 7days, are these people for real? global economic recession and he refers to some wannabe pop star tart?
Old Oct 9th 2013, 10:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
But the boss of DAMAC Properties, one of Dubai’s major developers, had little time for such talk. Ziad El Chaar told 7DAYS: “Everyone who wants to have their name in the press these days either talks about Miley Cyrus or the ‘bubble’.”

taken from 7days, are these people for real? global economic recession and he refers to some wannabe pop star tart?
http://www.arabianbusiness.com/dubai...ef-522436.html

In this article, the guys from Abu Dhabi and Bahrain reckon Dubai is in a bubble; predictably the ones from Dubai think otherwise

My favorite quote from the 7days piece was

He told delegates: “If there is a real estate problem in India, money comes to Dubai. If there is a problem in Cyprus, Russian money comes to Dubai. If there is a problem in the US, institutional investors come to Dubai. If there is a political crisis or war money comes to Dubai - and this not going to stop so that is why the drivers are sustainable.”

Last edited by Maxima; Oct 9th 2013 at 10:08 am.
Old Oct 9th 2013, 10:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute

In this article, the guys from Abu Dhabi and Bahrain reckon Dubai is in a bubble; predictably the ones from Dubai think otherwise

He told delegates: “If there is a real estate problem in India, money comes to Dubai. If there is a problem in Cyprus, Russian money comes to Dubai. If there is a problem in the US, institutional investors come to Dubai. If there is a political crisis or war money comes to Dubai - and this not going to stop so that is why the drivers are sustainable.”
I love the way these guys manage to delude themselves that, not withstanding past experience, it could never happen (again) in Dubai, where all the troublesome money, good and usually bad, comes to rest apparently...
Old Oct 9th 2013, 10:32 am
Bored liberal

Does this man believe that Dubai is like Hotel California then?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.