Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Image usage- Any one any ideas?

Image usage- Any one any ideas?

Old Apr 27th 2011, 8:43 am
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Image usage- Any one any ideas?

Originally Posted by kittycat1
Hi all,

I think there are a few people here that work in the magazine trade so can someone help me. I am currently working on an article for a British publication and my article includes some viusals made up from tear sheets from other fashion magazines- so using an editoiral image from Vogue and would be credited as such, so imagine I have bought the magazine, torn the page out and scanned it bag in.

So am I allowed touse these images or not- obviously these images are reproduced in different blogs etc with no usage fee being paid, so is it the same for printed mags? It is a trade magazine if that helps and would be used for print and web use?

Any one who has some up to date info or a contact who would know would be much appreciated. The editor is quite new and isn't sure either and they dont havean account with the likes of Getty!
I would say definately not petal.
Old Apr 27th 2011, 1:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
But that's not the issue. Whenever you create a picture, you own the copyright to it, and nobody may use it without your permission. Newmans would only by free of any copyright issues if they had acquired the rights to the picture (as distinct from the contents). If Paul Newman had modelled for the picture in question, then there may have been further issues regarding his consent to how the picture was used.
So you're agreeing with me then................... since Paul Newman cannot stop somebody in the UK using a picture of him, there is no issue.

In the case we are discussing, it is surely OK to use clips torn from other magazines to illustrate, for example, the sort of things that other magazines have been saying, if that is the point of the article Kittycat is writing.
Old Apr 29th 2011, 6:23 am
You read these things?

auzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond repute

Actually, the law is pretty murky here. It depends entirely what you're planning on using it for.

If it is for a profile piece on you and your business, and you're using scanned images of articles that feature your products, for the purposes of highlighting that the magazines have covered your products, then there is a principle within the law called 'fair usage'.

However, if you're planning to just use the images without having any relationship to them, it's a plain no.

Feel free to PM me with the reason you're looking to use them and I'll be able to help out.

Worst case scenario, I'll speak to our lawyers under the guise of it being one of my freelancers wanting to do it.
Old Apr 29th 2011, 6:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks fluffy
Old May 10th 2011, 7:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

Ok finally managed to get this sorted- had to redo the moodboards and have just about achieved the feel I wanted so got there in the end. Editor very happy and has just booked me for another article so Im a happy bunny

So thank you all for your help
Old May 10th 2011, 9:46 am
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute

Ok finally managed to get this sorted- had to redo the moodboards and have just about achieved the feel I wanted so got there in the end. Editor very happy and has just booked me for another article so Im a happy bunny

yay!
Old May 10th 2011, 9:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

My moodboard needs redoing too.........