Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Image usage- Any one any ideas?

Image usage- Any one any ideas?

Old Apr 26th 2011, 10:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Image usage- Any one any ideas?

Hi all,

I think there are a few people here that work in the magazine trade so can someone help me. I am currently working on an article for a British publication and my article includes some viusals made up from tear sheets from other fashion magazines- so using an editoiral image from Vogue and would be credited as such, so imagine I have bought the magazine, torn the page out and scanned it bag in.

So am I allowed touse these images or not- obviously these images are reproduced in different blogs etc with no usage fee being paid, so is it the same for printed mags? It is a trade magazine if that helps and would be used for print and web use?

Any one who has some up to date info or a contact who would know would be much appreciated. The editor is quite new and isn't sure either and they dont havean account with the likes of Getty!
Old Apr 26th 2011, 10:43 am
Powered by cows

Autonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Image usage- Any one any ideas?

Originally Posted by kittycat1
Hi all,

I think there are a few people here that work in the magazine trade so can someone help me. I am currently working on an article for a British publication and my article includes some viusals made up from tear sheets from other fashion magazines- so using an editoiral image from Vogue and would be credited as such, so imagine I have bought the magazine, torn the page out and scanned it bag in.

So am I allowed touse these images or not- obviously these images are reproduced in different blogs etc with no usage fee being paid, so is it the same for printed mags? It is a trade magazine if that helps and would be used for print and web use?

Any one who has some up to date info or a contact who would know would be much appreciated. The editor is quite new and isn't sure either and they dont havean account with the likes of Getty!
Technically you'll be reproducing a copyrighted image without permission... I'd say this is dodgy for the magazine....

You might have bought the original magazine but that doesn't mean you gain the right to reproduce the image elsewhere.

That said - I'm not in the magazine business....
Old Apr 26th 2011, 10:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Auto, Thats what my gut says too- bugger! they are only going to be athe size of a stamp - how annoying!
Old Apr 26th 2011, 11:35 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Auto, Thats what my gut says too- bugger! they are only going to be athe size of a stamp - how annoying!
I am inclined to agree with Auto as well, speak to the mag in the UK for their advice before binning the idea
Old Apr 26th 2011, 11:37 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Copyright laws aren't exactly followed in the UAE, but you'll have an issue if the images are available outside of the UAE.

It's also very bad form not to pay and credit the photographer.
Old Apr 26th 2011, 12:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Meow- don't worry, I'm not trying to rip anyone off, but I know we wouldn't be able to pay Vogue or Steven Meisel usage rights and as these images are widely featured across the internet it has become a bit of a grey area. If you are crediting the magazine the image is originally from and not claiming the image to be your own, can you use it, as they are used across teh internet in this format?

I've spoken to a couple of fashion togs I know and they are also a little unclear. I basically need a picture editor!
Old Apr 26th 2011, 12:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Blue Cat- the editor doesn't know
Old Apr 26th 2011, 12:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

Meow- don't worry, I'm not trying to rip anyone off, but I know we wouldn't be able to pay Vogue or Steven Meisel usage rights and as these images are widely featured across the internet it has become a bit of a grey area. If you are crediting the magazine the image is originally from and not claiming the image to be your own, can you use it, as they are used across teh internet in this format?

I've spoken to a couple of fashion togs I know and they are also a little unclear. I basically need a picture editor!
no, you will need to get approval for usage from the original magazine/copyright holder...it's not just a case of copying the image, they retain the right to see how it is used, and they may not like what someone else is intending to do with it...

if it was here, you'd get away with it, but the ipr law in the uk is very strong and i wouldn't risk it...

MM, xx
Old Apr 26th 2011, 12:20 pm