British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   iMac help (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/imac-help-598540/)

Bambi in Abu Dhabi Mar 19th 2009 4:25 am

iMac help

Well, the eagerly awaited new iMac is here...

There is quite a big price differential between here, the UK and the US. I was just wondering, if I bought one in the US, will it work here? Apologies if the answer is obvious. If it will work, does anybody know if there is an Apple store at JFK airport? I am going to NYC for a work thing in a few days, but won't really have time for shopping and larking about.

Also, could somebody please advise me on what size memory I would need? It is only for me, I won't be using it for work, just the usual iTunes and photos and stuff.

Many thanks.

Spugsy Mar 19th 2009 5:45 am

Re: iMac help

Originally Posted by Bambi in Abu Dhabi (Post 7396298)
Well, the eagerly awaited new iMac is here...

There is quite a big price differential between here, the UK and the US. I was just wondering, if I bought one in the US, will it work here? Apologies if the answer is obvious. If it will work, does anybody know if there is an Apple store at JFK airport? I am going to NYC for a work thing in a few days, but won't really have time for shopping and larking about.

Also, could somebody please advise me on what size memory I would need? It is only for me, I won't be using it for work, just the usual iTunes and photos and stuff.

Many thanks.

Yeah of course it'll work, not sure about power leads so you may have to get an adaptor, not sure what they use in the US,

You may have to switch your settings to UK when you get it but it'll all be fine, and can you claim the tax back as well?

Now I would definately advise you to get the bigger one, the few extra inches make all the difference (aye aye!), so this one would do you fine,

24-inch : 2.66GHz - so a nice big clear screen and a pretty fast processor,
4GB memory - thats more than enough for what you need,
640GB hard drive1 - thats loads as well, you'll get all your tunes and pics on there,
8x double-layer SuperDrive - this is pretty fast for burning CD/DVDs

price online is $1,499.00 - thats £1k really, a bit less than I paid for mine a year and a half ago but these ones are newer and faster,

Mine is brilliant, not had a single problem with it, they are dead easy to use, I have all my images on there, over 10,000 and all my tunes, again over 10,000 - I can watch films on it and it is really fast for when I do any work on it,

Go and get one pet....

Bambi in Abu Dhabi Mar 19th 2009 5:53 am

Thanks Spugsy, that's really helpful - I really, really appreciate it. About the 24 inch... how tall is it? That might seem like a bizarre question, but I need it to fit in a particular space.

Spugsy Mar 19th 2009 5:58 am

Originally Posted by Bambi in Abu Dhabi (Post 7396481)
Thanks Spugsy, that's really helpful - I really, really appreciate it. About the 24 inch... how tall is it? That might seem like a bizarre question, but I need it to fit in a particular space.

here's the link,

http://www.apple.com/imac/design.html

as you can see it's all built into the screen, so it is thin and you have loads of space,

size is:

24-inch iMac

Height: 20.5 inches (52.0 cm)
Width: 22.4 inches (56.9 cm)
Depth: 8.1 inches (20.7 cm)
Weight: 25.4 pounds (11.5 kg)1

Grace O Malley Mar 19th 2009 5:58 am

Originally Posted by Spugsy (Post 7396464)
Yeah of course it'll work, not sure about power leads so you may have to get an adaptor, not sure what they use in the US,

You may have to switch your settings to UK when you get it but it'll all be fine, and can you claim the tax back as well?

Now I would definately advise you to get the bigger one, the few extra inches make all the difference (aye aye!), so this one would do you fine,

24-inch : 2.66GHz - so a nice big clear screen and a pretty fast processor,
4GB memory - thats more than enough for what you need,
640GB hard drive1 - thats loads as well, you'll get all your tunes and pics on there,
8x double-layer SuperDrive - this is pretty fast for burning CD/DVDs

price online is $1,499.00 - thats £1k really, a bit less than I paid for mine a year and a half ago but these ones are newer and faster,

Mine is brilliant, not had a single problem with it, they are dead easy to use, I have all my images on there, over 10,000 and all my tunes, again over 10,000 - I can watch films on it and it is really fast for when I do any work on it,

Go and get one pet....

How much! God i would never pay that. I would drop/lose it within a month.

Kim67 Mar 19th 2009 5:58 am

I'm sitting on one right now - sure beats looking at my ibook screen. I hope my husband doesn't find his new employee in a hurry and take it back off me. Our mac's bought in Australia all work fine, just need a power adapter for them.

Spugsy Mar 19th 2009 6:00 am

Originally Posted by annacarna (Post 7396493)
How much! God i would never pay that. I would drop/lose it within a month.

this is the iMac Anna, the computer, not the iPod.

http://www.equip-u.com/shop/images/p...le_imac_20.jpg

Bambi in Abu Dhabi Mar 19th 2009 6:01 am

That fits - wonderful!

Spugsy Mar 19th 2009 6:07 am

Originally Posted by Bambi in Abu Dhabi (Post 7396503)
That fits - wonderful!

I've bet you've said that before eh?

:)

Grace O Malley Mar 19th 2009 6:07 am

Originally Posted by Spugsy (Post 7396500)
this is the iMac Anna, the computer, not the iPod.

http://www.equip-u.com/shop/images/p...le_imac_20.jpg

ha ha oops but you aint see my handbag......

Spugsy Mar 19th 2009 6:08 am

Originally Posted by annacarna (Post 7396520)
ha ha oops but you aint see my handbag......

ah bless your little cotton socks...

Grace O Malley Mar 19th 2009 6:09 am

Originally Posted by Spugsy (Post 7396522)
ah bless your little cotton socks...

ah bleep you sound like my lad now, thats what he says to me!

typical Mar 19th 2009 6:42 am

I don't believe there's an Apple store in JFK.

Also, when you're comparing prices, remember:

- US sales tax. In NY it's over 8%, in NJ 7%. You can't get this refunded, I don't believe
- UK VAT. You *can* get this refunded if you buy from a real shop (i.e. not over the internet or mail order), minus an administration fee
- UAE duty. I think it's the standard 5% on computers. I don't know anyone who's ever paid this on stuff they've brought in themselves, but I don't know anyone who's brought a new boxed computer back on a flight... (The size of the box can be seen here: http://www.engadget.com/photos/imac-...ds-on/1405705/ - good luck hiding that on your baggage trolly!)
- How to transport it. It's quite big for hand luggage. I'd be very wary of putting a computer in the hold, particularly if it's obvious what it is - both from a damage and theft point of view.

Not trying to put you off, just make sure you are aware of the issues...