British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   I'm sorry but I must comment on this horrendous piece of reporting... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/im-sorry-but-i-must-comment-horrendous-piece-reporting-780063/)

Irishbeekeeper Dec 9th 2012 6:52 am

I'm sorry but I must comment on this horrendous piece of reporting...

This is the story :
http://gulfnews.com/news/gulf/uae/le...lage-1.1116062

It is a tragedy beyond words and I am at a loss to explain or even comprehend how anyone can do this, but what baffles the mind is the last bit of this written piece...

"Global Village is very popular shopping and leisure destination and attracts thousands of visitors daily. The Village has received more than 1.8 million visitors since opening on October 21, its highest two-month record in its 17-year history.
Global Village opened this year’s season earlier than usual to mark its longest season by far. Just 48 days into its 161-day operation, it has drawn 1.8 million visitors, almost half of the total number of visitors for the 2007-2008 season pegged at 4.2 million.
“The factors which led to this increase include year-round planning, raising the bar of customer expectations, featuring new entertainment and folk shows as well as working closely with our business partners and investors to ensure that the exposure of that cultural depth of pavilions is benchmarked,” Saeed Ali Bin Redha, CEO of Global Village, told Gulf News.
This year, Global Village added eight new country pavilions, increased its number of rides by 30 per cent, added a Mini Express Train, new Children’s Play Area, and introduced new VIP packages.
Another reason for the record-breaking numbers is that the park opened just before two major events, Eid Al Adha celebrations and the UAE’s 41st National Day."

I am sorry but what the fridge!!?? A child is abandoned and the writer just nonchalantly tells you all the good things about the location while hes at it??

Surely there is an editor in chief of this prestigious reporting facility?

Ok thats my rant of the day, Im ok now, off to more coffee!

flares Dec 9th 2012 7:02 am

Re: I'm sorry but I must comment on this horrendous piece of reporting...

Three cheers for Global Village :thumbup:

Boomhauer Dec 9th 2012 8:54 am

It takes a village --- Hillary Clinton

Meow Dec 9th 2012 10:07 am

You've not come across the editor of GN then? Or they way they work?

:thumbdown:

Irishbeekeeper Dec 9th 2012 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 10424077)
You've not come across the editor of GN then? Or they way they work?

:thumbdown:

nope
is he around usually?

Meow Dec 9th 2012 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by Irishbeekeeper (Post 10424253)
nope
is he around usually?

Around where? He is active on Twitter.

MataHari Dec 9th 2012 2:07 pm

I don't see what the issue is...its a piece about a baby that was left in Global Village, and then there is a piece explaining what Global Village is...what's wrong with that? It's not like Global Village now suddenly becomes a place of utter doom and gloom just cause someone left their child there. So yeah, it's a bit on the promotional side regarding GV. Doesn't make the first piece of the article less sad.

Meow Dec 9th 2012 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by MataHari (Post 10424381)
I don't see what the issue is...its a piece about a baby that was left in Global Village, and then there is a piece explaining what Global Village is...what's wrong with that? It's not like Global Village now suddenly becomes a place of utter doom and gloom just cause someone left their child there. So yeah, it's a bit on the promotional side regarding GV. Doesn't make the first piece of the article less sad.

I'd agree if it was a couple of explanatory sentences, but it's PR blurb.

Irishbeekeeper Dec 9th 2012 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 10424386)

it seems like the writer was asked to finish 'X' amount of words allowed minimum in an article

MataHari Dec 9th 2012 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 10424386)

oh of course it is, but you can just ignore it, it doesn't take anything away from what has actually happened with the baby...

Kix Dec 9th 2012 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by MataHari (Post 10424394)
oh of course it is, but you can just ignore it, it doesn't take anything away from what has actually happened with the baby...

So many babies are abandoned now, it never used to either be a) reported or b) happen, 7 years back.

And they're nearly all girls. Says something about the parents doesn't it.

Irishbeekeeper Dec 9th 2012 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by MataHari (Post 10424394)

it does actually, that was the point of starting this thread
atleast in my opinion it does

its like saying, hey man your dog died......oh and the car that hit him was a really great car with leather seats, a superb audio system and had a huge boot space!

MataHari Dec 9th 2012 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by Kix (Post 10424450)
So many babies are abandoned now, it never used to either be a) reported or b) happen, 7 years back.

And they're nearly all girls. Says something about the parents doesn't it.

I am guessing it's always happened, but probably didn't get reported.
I always 'hope' the parents did it cause they think it's best for the baby, that somehow they cannot take care of it and this is their last resort...

MataHari Dec 9th 2012 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by Irishbeekeeper (Post 10424458)
it does actually, that was the point of starting this thread
atleast in my opinion it does

its like saying, hey man your dog died......oh and the car that hit him was a really great car with leather seats, a superb audio system and had a huge boot space!

yeah, but it's not really Global Villages fault that the baby was left there, so that's a bit of a silly comparison.
And the baby didn't die, for all we know it's better off this way...
(I was going to make a joke about a special pavillion where people could leave their kids, but seeing as you seem a bit sensitive I won't now)

Irishbeekeeper Dec 9th 2012 3:55 pm

:)

I never said it was the village's fault, I just found the way of reporting a bit crude thats all
And in all honesty if the parents were that way, I agree with you, she would be better off without them

and a special pavilion means only meant for special people? ;)
sorry just had to...