Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

I'm off as well. Goodbye.

I'm off as well. Goodbye.

Old Jun 25th 2011, 6:33 am
Off Topic

northbadawi is just really nicenorthbadawi is just really nicenorthbadawi is just really nicenorthbadawi is just really nicenorthbadawi is just really nicenorthbadawi is just really nicenorthbadawi is just really nicenorthbadawi is just really nicenorthbadawi is just really nicenorthbadawi is just really nicenorthbadawi is just really nice
Default Re: I'm off as well. Goodbye.

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
The weather?
No way use "hell hot" to describe the weather in ME
Old Jun 25th 2011, 7:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Brains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nottmbantam
I've just read through a different thread, we have another Brit moaning about Asians/ Muslims / Islam in the UK in quite a derogatory manner.

We've had it in quite a few threads now. A simple thread ends up with nasty, sarcastic and bitter & twisted posts. No-one seems to object, so it looks like its fair game.

If it's ok in your book, then fair enough. In the past I have read comments about this being a British Forum, so therefore British 'opinion and humour' will prevail.

These comments are not ok in my book, as an Asian Muslim quite clearly, the comments are aimed at me, my family and friends. Who else are they aimed at? If it wasn't for 'us', then the problems wouldn't exist. Would they?

My own philosophy is that if you don't like the Middle East, stop moaning about it and f.cuk off back home. I don't like this Forum anymore, so I've quit moaning about it, and I'm gonna do the same - f.cuk off somewhere else.

There are a few decent people here, and its been a pleasure to meet them. However, they seem to be dwindling in number. Best of luck to you. Ma salaama.
nott, yawn.

Use the ignore button if your getting bubbly. If you want to leave, no need for a song and dance about it, just f.off!

FWIW, you've came accross as a helpful chap with common sense, suggest using it.
Old Jun 25th 2011, 8:56 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nottmbantam
I've just read through a different thread, we have another Brit moaning about Asians/ Muslims / Islam in the UK in quite a derogatory manner.

We've had it in quite a few threads now. A simple thread ends up with nasty, sarcastic and bitter & twisted posts. No-one seems to object, so it looks like its fair game.

If it's ok in your book, then fair enough. In the past I have read comments about this being a British Forum, so therefore British 'opinion and humour' will prevail.

These comments are not ok in my book, as an Asian Muslim quite clearly, the comments are aimed at me, my family and friends. Who else are they aimed at? If it wasn't for 'us', then the problems wouldn't exist. Would they?

My own philosophy is that if you don't like the Middle East, stop moaning about it and f.cuk off back home. I don't like this Forum anymore, so I've quit moaning about it, and I'm gonna do the same - f.cuk off somewhere else.

There are a few decent people here, and its been a pleasure to meet them. However, they seem to be dwindling in number. Best of luck to you. Ma salaama.
It's a pity that some people feel any criticism of a religion, culture or ideology is hatred and/or directed at them personally.

It's also a pity that some people think if you live somewhere you must praise it constantly and never dare point out anything bad, wrong or odd...especially if that has something to do with the local culture or religion. It seems some people wish to see certain systems of belief and certain cultures become immune from criticism by calling any criticism "racist" or "phobic".

For the record I find the constant frivolity of some aspects of British culture a bit too much sometimes. There's a time and a place for everything, jokes and seriousness too...but some people haven't figured that out yet which is annoying. However that's their prerogative and we all have the right to our views. Free speech ends when you start calling for harm or death to others, not the right to not be offended.

I don't know you personally and am sure you're as decent as the next person - if some things offend you that's just human. I'm constantly offended...haven't felt the need to declare I'm leaving the forums though.

That said I wish you well.

N.
Old Jun 25th 2011, 10:11 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

I think there is a fundimental difference between criticising the Muslims who give the rest of the Muslims a bad name and those born and raised in the West. The mentality of some of the Muslims people I have met here coupled with their attitude has sickened me. However I have many wonderful Muslims friend who ideals are the same as mine and also dislike the ways and attitudes of those Muslims who give Islam a bad name. Hope I am making sense
Old Jun 25th 2011, 10:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Alexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond repute

From what I have seen, people are simply calling a spade a spade.
Be they Muslim or other. Both are voicing their opinion. Some do it in a way that makes debate possible, some do it by refusing to participate further.

Why would one feel personally attacked if somebody is voicing an opinion ? (unless one's name is mentioned and one is accused of something or other, of course)This is a discussion board...so simply counter argue.

One needs to have reasonably thick skin to handle this board, no question, (IMHO) but if one can't handle the heat one might want to get out of the kitchen...for a while.

Just felt like giving my 2 penny's worth (maybe it is only worth half a penny here, but that's ok too. )
Old Jun 25th 2011, 10:27 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alexa
From what I have seen, people are simply calling a spade a spade.
Be they Muslim or other. Both are voicing their opinion. Some do it in a way that makes debate possible, some do it by refusing to participate further.

Why would one feel personally attacked if somebody is voicing an opinion ? (unless one's name is mentioned and one is accused of something or other, of course)This is a discussion board...so simply counter argue.

One needs to have reasonably thick skin to handle this board, no question, (IMHO) but if one can't handle the heat one might want to get out of the kitchen...for a while.

Just felt like giving my 2 penny's worth (maybe it is only worth half a penny here, but that's ok too. )
I agree and if my opinion is blah blah blah then so be it, it is my opinion!!
Old Jun 25th 2011, 11:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Ronnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
I agree and if my opinion is blah blah blah then so be it, it is my opinion!!
To paraphrase Stephen Fry: "saying "Im offended by that" is nothing more than a whine....."excuse me...I'm offended by that!".....well so ****ing what??!!"
Old Jun 25th 2011, 12:23 pm

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ronnie Biggs
To paraphrase Stephen Fry: "saying "Im offended by that" is nothing more than a whine....."excuse me...I'm offended by that!".....well so ****ing what??!!"
All to often when people say they are offended what they are actually saying is they don't like your views or opinions and want you to keep quiet.

You have to question how secure any ideology is that doesn't allow for criticism...

N.
Old Jun 25th 2011, 12:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

jackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Norm_uk
All to often when people say they are offended what they are actually saying is they don't like your views or opinions and want you to keep quiet.

You have to question how secure any ideology is that doesn't allow for criticism...

N.
. . . and criticism is 'The Easiest Job in the World!'
Old Jun 25th 2011, 12:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute

Honest criticism is hard to take, particularly from a relative, a friend, an aquaintance or a stranger.
Old Jun 25th 2011, 1:15 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by OleJanx
Honest criticism is hard to take, particularly from a relative, a friend, an aquaintance or a stranger.
yes if it is directed at you, but a general comment about a particular group/groups of people should not cause mass offence, though I did manage to piss a few of on twitter when I said why do Muslim men feel the have the right to take their children from their Mothers, I was watching a programme filmed in a Muslim country at the time.
Old Jun 25th 2011, 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by OleJanx
That much is certain. We all have a tendency to believe we are always right even when evidence exists to the contrary.

N.
Old Jun 25th 2011, 1:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

Im hardly ever right to be fair!
Old Jun 25th 2011, 1:21 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kittycat1
Im hardly ever right to be fair!
I'm always right, regardless of what I'm whittering about. The husband learnt that very early on. It makes life soooooo much easier for everyone.
Old Jun 25th 2011, 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
yes if it is directed at you, but a general comment about a particular group/groups of people should not cause mass offence, though I did manage to piss a few of on twitter when I said why do Muslim men feel the have the right to take their children from their Mothers, I was watching a programme filmed in a Muslim country at the time.
Depending on the school of Islamic thought they do have the right to take a child into their own custody after a certain age. If the mother is not a Muslim and there is a "danger" the child might be raised as a non-Muslim then most Sharia courts will award custody to the father.

Apparently there's "no compulsion in religion" in the Koran but children of a Muslim are automatically Muslim...even before they can read or write.

Still, it's not the place of non-believers who don't speak fluent Koranic Arabic to even comment on this sort of thing. What amazes me is the number of Non-Muslims who will be up in arms taking offense on behalf of Muslims these days!

N.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.