British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   I'm Off, It's Been A Pleasure... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/im-off-its-been-pleasure-597109/)

Bison Mar 12th 2009 1:45 pm

I'm Off, It's Been A Pleasure...

I got made redundant today, so i will be heading back to the shite hole but i'm actually feeling good.

I will still be on here when I get back, probably not as much but i'll be around.

The company have looked after me well, I actually take my hats off to them.

Bison

Spugsy Mar 12th 2009 1:46 pm

Re: I'm Off, It's Been A Pleasure...

Originally Posted by Bison (Post 7371940)
I got made redundant today, so i will be heading back to the shite hole but i'm actually feeling good.

I will still be on here when I get back, probably not as much but i'll be around.

Bison

honest Bison?

What happened?

Bambi in Abu Dhabi Mar 12th 2009 1:49 pm

Oh Bison, that's terrible news :(. Do you think you could get another job out here, provided you wanted to stay of course?

Madam Medusa Mar 12th 2009 1:53 pm

Bison

oh geez, sorry to hear that...good luck and all that...

MM, xx

Roadking Mar 12th 2009 1:57 pm

That sucks, mate. Hope you get sorted back on the other side.

Good luck and keep safe in that Volvo! Remember, speed kills ;)

:thumbup:

Bison Mar 12th 2009 2:02 pm

The company announced a few weeks ago that it would be happening, I kind of expected it.

Today they took all the affected staff into a room and the director told us in person, then we got given our packages etc, everyone got the same and it was better than I could have thought, I will be able to pay off my credit cards and be debt free for the first time in 10 years and I will still have a good wad in the bank, so it's worked out ok.

I spoke to my mum, she's sorting out the spare room, so I have lost nothing, I came to the UAE to pay off my debts and that's now a reality with the added bonus of a lump sum as well, so it's been a worthwhile year and a half.

I'm not upset, unhappy or anything, I would have liked to stay but I can't be arsed to be honest.

I will come back to visit, I have made some fantastic friends and had an amazing time here, it was a great life experience.

I don't know if I will stay in the UK, I might look for jobs in another part of the world, which is now my oyster.

The timing is weird, my tax year is just up the day when I will fly back, april 6th etc so I believe the powers above had this all planned out for me.

Bison

Spugsy Mar 12th 2009 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by Bison (Post 7371995)
The company announced a few weeks ago that it would be happening, I kind of expected it.

Today they took all the affected staff into a room and the director told us in person, then we got given our packages etc, everyone got the same and it was better than I could have thought, I will be able to pay off my credit cards and be debt free for the first time in 10 years and I will still have a good wad in the bank, so it's worked out ok.

I spoke to my mum, she's sorting out the spare room, so I have lost nothing, I came to the UAE to pay off my debts and that's now a reality with the added bonus of a lump sum as well, so it's been a worthwhile year and a half.

I'm not upset, unhappy or anything, I would have liked to stay but I can't be arsed to be honest.

I will come back to visit, I have made some fantastic friends and had an amazing time here, it was a great life experience.

I don't know if I will stay in the UK, I might look for jobs in another part of the world, which is now my oyster.

The timing is weird, my tax year is just up the day when I will fly back, april 6th etc so I believe the powers above had this all planned out for me.

Bison

thats good work then big lad, how long you in dubai for?

We still on for a beer on tuesday?

Roadking Mar 12th 2009 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by Spugsy (Post 7372007)

"...my tax year is just up the day when I will fly back, april 6th etc so I believe the powers above had this all planned out for me."

:p

Bison Mar 12th 2009 2:07 pm

My Aunty is out here on holiday on the 23rd for 2 weeks, so I will stay and fly back with her early April, defo still up for a Beer!!

:thumbsup:

MacScot Mar 12th 2009 2:08 pm

Bison

Very sorry to hear that Bison...:(

I spent 25 years in Australia and loved it...Oz seems to be still doing OK and, with all their natural resources, will be the first out of the recession...might be worth a try if you don't like the idea of ending up back in the UK.

Best wishes for the future...by the way, they have strict speed limits in the Land of Oz:rofl:

Spugsy Mar 12th 2009 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by MacScot (Post 7372020)
Very sorry to hear that Bison...:(

I spent 25 years in Australia and loved it...Oz seems to be still doing OK and, with all their natural resources, will be the first out of the recession...might be worth a try if you don't like the idea of ending up back in the UK.

Best wishes for the future...by the way, they have strict speed limits in the Land of Oz:rofl:

thats where we'll be in 3 years hopefully...

Blue Cat Mar 12th 2009 2:16 pm

Bison I am sorry to hear this, but it sounds like your quids in and that it is a blessing in disguise!! the good thing about the internet is you don't have to be physically 'here' so I am guessing we will still hear alot from you!

pauldxb Mar 12th 2009 2:17 pm

Bison

Sorry to hear that BUT well done on the pay off, everything happens for a reason.... anyway THE BEERS ARE ON YOU TUESDAY :thumbsup:

Bambi in Abu Dhabi Mar 12th 2009 2:18 pm

It is great that you have managed to pay off all your debts and stash some money away. As we have seen on here, far too many people leave with debts and facing an uncertain future.

And Macsot is right - Oz is a great place to live. Might be worth considering, especially in today's climate. Whatever you do, I wish you all the very best of luck.

Are girls invited to your leaving do, or is it just for blokes?

pauldxb Mar 12th 2009 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by Bambi in Abu Dhabi (Post 7372076)
It is great that you have managed to pay off all your debts and stash some money away. As we have seen on here, far too many people leave with debts and facing an uncertain future.

And Macsot is right - Oz is a great place to live. Might be worth considering, especially in today's climate. Whatever you do, I wish you all the very best of luck.

Are girls invited to your leaving do, or is it just for blokes?

Its not a leaving do.... well it wasnt this morning it was just a beer with a couple of guys but now.................. Bison ?