Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

I'm a newby to British Expats M.E.

I'm a newby to British Expats M.E.

Old Dec 13th 2010, 3:40 pm
Just Joined

Ray1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I'm a newby to British Expats M.E.

Hello Everyone.!
I am a total newby to this forum, so please bear with me.?
I have visited Dubai a few times over the years and each time I've enjoyed it so much, what a magical place, I have often fantacised about living and working in Dubai.?!
Anyway I am currently visiting my family in England in the UK, but I have lived for the past couple of years in Turkey, but it's now time to hang up my flip flops and get back to work.
I would really like to work in Dubai, but as yet I don't know where to start.?
It would be great to chat to you guys who actually live and work there now if you don't mind me picking your brains.
I look forward to chatting to you all soon,
Thanks for having me onboard.!
Old Dec 13th 2010, 3:43 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I'm a newby to British Expats M.E.

Hi and welcome to BE, what line of work are you in?
Old Dec 13th 2010, 3:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray1
Hello Everyone.!
I am a total newby to this forum, so please bear with me.?
I have visited Dubai a few times over the years and each time I've enjoyed it so much, what a magical place, I have often fantacised about living and working in Dubai.?!
Anyway I am currently visiting my family in England in the UK, but I have lived for the past couple of years in Turkey, but it's now time to hang up my flip flops and get back to work.
I would really like to work in Dubai, but as yet I don't know where to start.?
It would be great to chat to you guys who actually live and work there now if you don't mind me picking your brains.
I look forward to chatting to you all soon,
Thanks for having me onboard.!
what do you do?
Old Dec 13th 2010, 3:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

hi and welcome Rayray,

so tell us all about you

Kittycat
xxx
Old Dec 13th 2010, 3:54 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse
what do you do?
Hi EmiratesMillhouse.!
Thanks for your quick reply, I can turn my hand to most things with only a small amount of training needed.
I have been self employed for many years with a shop fitting company property developing etc., I have some engineering background, did a apprenticeship as a motor mechanic many years ago. I did a small amount of telecoms basic network stuff in the early 2000's. I am ready for a New Challange and some hard work.!
Old Dec 13th 2010, 3:56 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Hi EmiratesMillhouse.!
Thanks for your quick reply, I can turn my hand to most things with only a small amount of training needed.
I have been self employed for many years with a shop fitting company property developing etc., I have some engineering background, did a apprenticeship as a motor mechanic many years ago. I did a small amount of telecoms basic network stuff in the early 2000's. I am ready for a New Challange and some hard work.!
do you have any qualifications? you need your bits of paper here to get a visa, as you know property development is probably a no no
Old Dec 13th 2010, 4:00 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by kittycat1
hi and welcome Rayray,

so tell us all about you

Kittycat
xxx
Hi Kittycat1.!

Thanks for your warm welcome.
I am a single guy from the North West of England, I took some time out and did a bit of travelling over the past few years. I've had a nice time and a nice relax. But now it's time to move on and I really fancy a new challange and meeting some new interesting people out in the middle east.!
Old Dec 13th 2010, 4:06 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
Hi and welcome to BE, what line of work are you in?
Hi Blue Cat.

To be honest I would prefer a whole different challenge now.!
My only qualifications if I could find them, are all in mechanical engineering, but I can turn my hand to most things if given the chance.
What are the most common types of trade and demands over there at the moment.?
Old Dec 13th 2010, 4:08 pm
Concierge

[QUOTE=Ray1;9038129]Hi Blue Cat.

My only qualifications if I could find them, are all in mechanical engineering, but I can turn my hand to most things if given the chance.
What are the most common types of trade and demands over there at the moment.?[/QUOTE

regardless of what is available you need qualifications to get your visa, not wanting to be all doom and gloom but alot of expats have left Dubai due to the recession. I would register with some agencies and see what is available
Old Dec 13th 2010, 4:20 pm
Just Joined

[QUOTE=Blue Cat;9038133]
Hi Blue Cat.

What are the most common types of trade and demands over there at the moment.?[/QUOTE

regardless of what is available you need qualifications to get your visa, not wanting to be all doom and gloom but alot of expats have left Dubai due to the recession. I would register with some agencies and see what is available
Thanks Blue Cat,

I will do as you suggest and register with some agencies.
I am prepared to start from the begining and work my way up, so if you have any advice on what qualifications and which direction to go, I would be very obliged for any information.
Old Dec 13th 2010, 4:20 pm
Concierge

[QUOTE=Ray1;9038162]
Thanks Blue Cat,

I will do as you suggest and register with some agencies.
I am prepared to start from the begining and work my way up, so if you have any advice on what qualifications and which direction to go, I would be very obliged for any information.
that depends on what sort of work you want it aint cheap here either so factor in accomodation etc
Old Dec 13th 2010, 4:24 pm
Just Joined

[QUOTE=Blue Cat;9038165]

that depends on what sort of work you want it aint cheap here either so factor in accomodation etc
If you don't mind me asking, what kind of business are you in.?
Old Dec 13th 2010, 4:43 pm
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm Mr. Doom and Gloom.

You ain't going to work in Dubai.

Sorry.

Legally, a western expat is required to have a university degree to qualify for a work visa in the UAE. There are ways around this, of course, but only for people who have substantial experience in their field such as skilled oil well construction experts. There was a woman who used to post on here who didn't have a university degree but she had decades of experience working as a producer for BBC and she was recruited to come out here to work in a local television studio. That's the kind of exception you see.

You can only get a work visa from the company that hires you. If a company needs generic handyman for hands-on type work, they will hire a much cheaper Indian/Pakistani worker. For low level "creative" office work, companies also look into the Lebanese/Syrians/Egyptians brigade. A carpenter probably makes no more than 2,000 AED a month (which converts into 340 quid thereabouts). Creative office workers with decent university degrees from non-western countries probably start at around 7,000 AED a month, or 1150 quid. This may sound a bit better until you realise that the rent + expenses for a basic one-bedroom apartment in a decent area in Dubai starts at 4,000 AED a month, monthly car hire is 2,000 AED and a pint of beer is 40 AED.

A company is not going to bring you out to Dubai and give you training as part of your employment. They aren't going to hire someone looking for a "change" when they have their pick of skilled workers these days. If you really, genuinely, want to come to Dubai these days you need to have a very strong CV demonstrating key experience in the field of your choice.

Dubai is shockingly expensive, even for people on large packages. It's not the place to move to on a whim, especially these days when the economy is moribund at best (in reality still worsening). Word went around the office today that the local British embassy reported up to 30% of British expats left Dubai in the past year, with more expected to leave in 2011.

If you want a casual job in a casual place with sun and beaches have you considered checking out 4 - 5 star resorts in the Caribbean and South Pacific? There may possibly be an opening for someone like you, but you will have to research the job possibilities, figure out which are realistic for you to aim for, and strategise to market yourself as well as possible given your general lack of serious experience.

Last edited by Ethos83; Dec 13th 2010 at 4:47 pm.
Old Dec 13th 2010, 5:03 pm
Concierge

[QUOTE=Ray1;9038181]
If you don't mind me asking, what kind of business are you in.?
My husband is in Engineering and has been in the Middle East for over twenty years
Old Dec 13th 2010, 5:03 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by Ethos83
I'm Mr. Doom and Gloom.

You ain't going to work in Dubai.

Sorry.

Legally, a western expat is required to have a university degree to qualify for a work visa in the UAE. There are ways around this, of course, but only for people who have substantial experience in their field such as skilled oil well construction experts. There was a woman who used to post on here who didn't have a university degree but she had decades of experience working as a producer for BBC and she was recruited to come out here to work in a local television studio. That's the kind of exception you see.

You can only get a work visa from the company that hires you. If a company needs generic handyman for hands-on type work, they will hire a much cheaper Indian/Pakistani worker. For low level "creative" office work, companies also look into the Lebanese/Syrians/Egyptians brigade. A carpenter probably makes no more than 2,000 AED a month (which converts into 340 quid thereabouts). Creative office workers with decent university degrees from non-western countries probably start at around 7,000 AED a month, or 1150 quid. This may sound a bit better until you realise that the rent + expenses for a basic one-bedroom apartment in a decent area in Dubai starts at 4,000 AED a month, monthly car hire is 2,000 AED and a pint of beer is 40 AED.

A company is not going to bring you out to Dubai and give you training as part of your employment. They aren't going to hire someone looking for a "change" when they have their pick of skilled workers these days. If you really, genuinely, want to come to Dubai these days you need to have a very strong CV demonstrating key experience in the field of your choice.

Dubai is shockingly expensive, even for people on large packages. It's not the place to move to on a whim, especially these days when the economy is moribund at best (in reality still worsening). Word went around the office today that the local British embassy reported up to 30% of British expats left Dubai in the past year, with more expected to leave in 2011.

If you want a casual job in a casual place with sun and beaches have you considered checking out 4 - 5 star resorts in the Caribbean and South Pacific? There may possibly be an opening for someone like you, but you will have to research the job possibilities, figure out which are realistic for you to aim for, and strategise to market yourself as well as possible given your general lack of serious experience.
that is what I was trying to say but had to nip out for fish and chips

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.