Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Illegal for Tourists to drink in UAE

Illegal for Tourists to drink in UAE

Old Mar 9th 2011, 2:16 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Illegal for Tourists to drink in UAE

Originally Posted by seven seas
No personal experience to share with us? Are you one of those who 'know' you'll be at fault if anything happens?
Does saying 'kerrang' fit in with the advice you've given?
Just trying to pick an argument again?
Old Mar 9th 2011, 2:26 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

No personal experience to share with us? Are you one of those who 'know' you'll be at fault if anything happens?
Does saying 'kerrang' fit in with the advice you've given?
Bleedin' 'ell you're a difficult man to please. Seems like when personal experience is cited you dismiss it, but won't accept generic advice based on first-hand and anecdotal evidence. Anyway, for what its worth:

Don't break the law. If you bend it, make sure you know how far you can take things: otherwise, don't. You're not allowed to be drunk in public. I am often well over the limit after leaving a bar, but make a very conscious effort to disguise the fact. An acquaintance was too pissed to be able to disguise anything, police nabbed him and he spent a couple of nights in jail.

Accumulate as much Wasta as possible. As everywhere and in every situation, its who you know that counts.

Have your PRO on speed dial. Coz he'll know what to do. Even better, have your Wasta-ites on speed dial.

Drive defensively. That means being aware of all traffic around you, not just that in front and immediately behind you. I got tail-ended, but only because I was driving too fast for the cars BEHIND me (ie I knew I could react and brake so as not to hit the car in front, but I had quicker reactions and better brakes and tyres than the guy behind and so when I stopped he didn't, expect by hitting me--and the 3 cars behind him did much the same). If you don't know how to control cars behind you, go on a proper defensive driving course.

If you're in an accident, take photos and record all details. Obvious, but most people don't in the heat of the moment. In the aforementioned tailgating, showing the pics to PC Abdul quite possibly made a difference. However, the guys behind weren't locals, and had they been then without the combination of Wasta, PRO and records (I didn't need the former in this instance) I believe there would have been a credible risk of being found liable. I don't have first hand experience of that here, but I do in Saudi.

Don't lose your temper. Goes without saying. In all situations.

Be polite. And patient. Even in the Arabic culture of frantic gesticulation, shoulder shrugging and loud proclamations, a polite and patient attitude wins round more officials than not. That's years of personal experience in the Middle East and elsewhere.

Say Kerrang as much as you wish. Don't say it if you don't want to. I can't even remember, and don't care, if you think its bad or not to say it--I believe in freedom of speech, you decide if you want to say it or not.
Old Mar 9th 2011, 3:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

seven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond repute

Bahtatboy- that's much much better. Someone with your experience and common sense is a good resource. Everyone benefits when you share your knowledge.

(feeling queasy yet?)

I am hard to please and I think that's something to be proud of actually.
You say you hide it when you're well over the limit- are you not aware that there is no limit? Here you're either drunk or not. Kinda important for newbies, right?

Anecdotal evidence- if you let that in then you can't base anything on this. A friend of mine was rear-ended by a local in a brand-new Nissan Patrol. The cop dismissed his indignant protests and told him that rear-ending anyone means you are at fault, anywhere in the world. He did things the way they should be done.

Are we really arguing about whether the police are sometimes wankers? I thought that was a job requirement...
Old Mar 9th 2011, 3:17 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Are we really arguing about whether the police are sometimes wankers? I thought that was a job requirement...
Everyone's a wanker sometimes.
Old Mar 10th 2011, 1:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Sandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
Everyone's a wanker sometimes.
some more than others though
Old Mar 10th 2011, 3:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Millsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond repute

Saying 'everyone knows' does not help.
I suggest this is changed to 'everyone knows - except 'seven seas''
Old Mar 10th 2011, 10:08 am
BE Forum Addict

seven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond repute

Especially about the no drinking limit thing. That's funny.