British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Illegal football betting - players charged (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/illegal-football-betting-players-charged-602308/)

The Dean Apr 7th 2009 4:07 pm

Illegal football betting - players charged

Five players have been charged by the Football Association for breaching betting rules, with some accused of gambling thousands of pounds.

Four players then at Accrington - Jay Harris, David Mannix, Robert Williams and Peter Cavanagh - and Andrew Mangan, who was at Bury, have been charged.

The five have been charged with betting on a victory for Bury in Accrington's last game of last season on 3 May 2008.

All five face serious sanctions including the chance of suspensions.

Both Harris and Cavanagh played in the game which ended 2-0 to Bury.

In the wake of the revelations that Accrington and Bury players placed illegal bets on the match, the Football Association disciplinary committee have announced that Luton Town will begin next season with a 40-point deduction.

Inselaffen Apr 8th 2009 1:44 am

Re: Illegal football betting - players charged

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 7459707)
Five players have been charged by the Football Association for breaching betting rules, with some accused of gambling thousands of pounds.

Four players then at Accrington - Jay Harris, David Mannix, Robert Williams and Peter Cavanagh - and Andrew Mangan, who was at Bury, have been charged.

The five have been charged with betting on a victory for Bury in Accrington's last game of last season on 3 May 2008.

All five face serious sanctions including the chance of suspensions.

Both Harris and Cavanagh played in the game which ended 2-0 to Bury.

In the wake of the revelations that Accrington and Bury players placed illegal bets on the match, the Football Association disciplinary committee have announced that Luton Town will begin next season with a 40-point deduction.

quite right too. within 5 years they'll be where they belong, playing sunday pub league football.

The Dean Apr 8th 2009 3:23 am

Originally Posted by Inselaffen (Post 7461225)
quite right too. within 5 years they'll be where they belong, playing sunday pub league football.

I'm starting to think you don't actually like Luton very much...........

Inselaffen Apr 8th 2009 3:25 am

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 7461413)
I'm starting to think you don't actually like Luton very much...........

more just taking pleasure in widning you up.
really have no feelings one way or t'other regarding the hatters.

the great Eric supported them so they can't be that bad

The Dean Apr 8th 2009 3:35 am

Originally Posted by Inselaffen (Post 7461420)
more just taking pleasure in widning you up.
really have no feelings one way or t'other regarding the hatters.

the great Eric supported them so they can't be that bad

Even I've been overwhelmed by the messages of goodwill from fans of other clubs after Sunday..............

See the comments under that article I link-posted for Lionheart.............

Inselaffen Apr 8th 2009 4:06 am

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 7461465)
Even I've been overwhelmed by the messages of goodwill from fans of other clubs after Sunday..............

See the comments under that article I link-posted for Lionheart.............

30 points was excessive but looking at what happened to swindon a few(many) years ago maybe a straight relegation to the conference would have been fair.

The Dean Apr 8th 2009 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by Inselaffen (Post 7461530)
30 points was excessive but looking at what happened to swindon a few(many) years ago maybe a straight relegation to the conference would have been fair.

I think that might have prompted a legal challenge............ the League (in somewhat cowardly fashion) thought that minus-30 would relegate them without the actual need to do it formally. Two of the disciplinary committee were League Two chairmen.......... oh I give up...............

A number of the new players signed even though they knew they'd probably have to play Conference footy the following year. Fair play to them, which was why I was so pleased for them on Sunday.

And Kevin Nicholls really should still be in the Championship, not League Two - without him we'd have been officially down by mid-Jan.