IKEA Doha

Old Feb 2nd 2013, 1:59 pm
Forum Regular

desert-rat is just really nicedesert-rat is just really nicedesert-rat is just really nicedesert-rat is just really nicedesert-rat is just really nicedesert-rat is just really nicedesert-rat is just really nicedesert-rat is just really nicedesert-rat is just really nicedesert-rat is just really nicedesert-rat is just really nice
Default IKEA Doha

Anyone know if it is open now? I drove past the other day and they had covered up the large yellow IKEA signs.
Another member said it was due to open 30/1/13 I hope I havent missed the grand event.
Old Feb 3rd 2013, 10:37 am
Forum Regular

dohadesertdog is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: IKEA Doha

opening delayed due to issues obtaining civil defence certification, hence the requirement to cover the logo (not that i see the logic to that?!)

i believe otherwise its good to go, Doha News website gave a date for the revsied opening i believe
Old Feb 3rd 2013, 10:52 am

Miss Anne Thrope is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by desert-rat
Anyone know if it is open now? I drove past the other day and they had covered up the large yellow IKEA signs.
Another member said it was due to open 30/1/13 I hope I havent missed the grand event.
Pretty short of excitement there I guess? A trip to IKEA fills me with horror - requires careful preparation and planning...
Old Feb 3rd 2013, 10:55 am
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Miss Anne Thrope
Pretty short of excitement there I guess? A trip to IKEA fills me with horror - requires careful preparation and planning...
You will be amazed how many people here have bare walls and sofa's just waiting for Ikea to open. I expect scenes like this

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/e...on/4252421.stm
Old Feb 3rd 2013, 11:49 am

Miss Anne Thrope is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by britexpat76
You will be amazed how many people here have bare walls and sofa's just waiting for Ikea to open. I expect scenes like this

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/e...on/4252421.stm
Yeah, I thought of that too - spent many hours in IKEA-related traffic jams on the bloody North Circular...
Old Feb 3rd 2013, 12:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

DOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this point

Haha yeah im one of them James
Old Feb 3rd 2013, 12:52 pm
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RyanC
Haha yeah im one of them James
Who?
Old Feb 3rd 2013, 12:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

gottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to all

Originally Posted by dohadesertdog
opening delayed due to issues obtaining civil defence certification, hence the requirement to cover the logo (not that i see the logic to that?!)

i believe otherwise its good to go, Doha News website gave a date for the revsied opening i believe
Yep. It is the Ikea standard building that has been constructed everywhere in the world, but it has failed to obtain civil defence certification in Qatar.
Old Feb 5th 2013, 5:47 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gottheTshirt
Yep. It is the Ikea standard building that has been constructed everywhere in the world, but it has failed to obtain civil defence certification in Qatar.
From certifying buildings that are death traps to not certifying buildings that are of good quality construction , you couldn't make it up .

The Expatflange brigade were blowing the froth off their skinny latte's when the delay was announced as well .

The amazing thing is that the opening of Ikea is indeed a major event here in Qatar and that just reinforces what a fu**ing dull country this place is
Old Feb 5th 2013, 7:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by co durham boy
From certifying buildings that are death traps to not certifying buildings that are of good quality construction , you couldn't make it up .
Yes, that contradiction crossed my mind. Presumably IKEA were a bit stingy with the old payola...
Old Feb 5th 2013, 7:56 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OleJanx
Yes, that contradiction crossed my mind. Presumably IKEA were a bit stingy with the old payola...
Al Fuittaim only build one way , it's standard throughout the region . The Festival City brand is like for like build wise .

I know some guys who work on the commercial side and the usual Qatari bullsh*t came into play as per usual . You know how it goes " This is not U.A.E , this is Qatar , this is not the way !"

......and this is where we're at ...Unfinished !

Amateurs
Old Feb 5th 2013, 8:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by co durham boy

I know some guys who work on the commercial side and the usual Qatari bullsh*t came into play as per usual . You know how it goes " This is not U.A.E , this is Qatar , this is not the way !"
Yes, Qatar has piss-poor standards ( that have proven themselves to be deadly ) nepotism is rife, incompetence and arrogance over-rule common sense every time, and yet the Qatari's still maintain pride over what little they actually achieve...
Old Feb 12th 2013, 9:25 am
BE Enthusiast

DOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this point

Any update on this then?
Old Feb 27th 2013, 12:09 pm
Shark Fisherman

Ladies of Doha rejoice! (And RyanC)

From Dohanews:-

IKEA Doha has told Doha News that it will open its doors to the general public on the morning of March 11th.
The news follows the invitation via email of hundreds of families in Qatar to a “family day” trial run at the store next week.
Invites for the event seem to have been sent to people who had registered to take part in an earlier trial day, which was cancelled at short notice last month, apparently due to issues with Civil Defence clearance.
Those inspection delays led to a postponement of the planned January 30th opening date, which was in itself a delay - IKEA Doha had originally hoped to open its doors in December last year.
IKEA is located on Al Shamal Road just north of Doha and is the anchor tenant of the upcoming Doha Festival City project.
Old Feb 27th 2013, 2:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

dubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of light

I can safely say I will never, ever go there.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.