Iftar meetups

Old May 22nd 2017, 2:41 pm
"Insert witty title here"

Irishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Iftar meetups

I guess I can do 1 or 3 iftars out of the house and I second Millhouse's point that Buffet Iftars are just a waste of money and time. I find it much better to walk into a proper resturant 40 minutes before it all begins, order something made specially for you and have it served at the right time
Like a well made steak...and mashed potatoes....and veggies!
Ok I know what Im having for dinner tonight!!!
anyway, point is, im in and yes Scamp is right, expect a 90% of no-show at these things mate
Old May 22nd 2017, 3:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond repute

I hate Iftar Buffets, like watching pigs at a trough.....went to a mosque a couple of years back with some muslim colleagues, and it was quite a nice experience
Old May 23rd 2017, 5:33 am
Forum Regular

ExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of light

Haven't been to an Iftar yet but interested to see it first hand...
Old May 23rd 2017, 7:20 am
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute

totally agree with MILLHOUSE and BEEKEEPER.....however can count me in (always up for meeting new folks (ie have no friends lol)......although i would prefer to go for Suhar......that way you can order from a menu & also chill with a sheesha.
Of all the iftars i have done, the best one IMHO is the Al Majalis in Jumeriah Madinat.
Old May 23rd 2017, 7:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mission
totally agree with MILLHOUSE and BEEKEEPER.....however can count me in (always up for meeting new folks (ie have no friends lol)......although i would prefer to go for Suhar......that way you can order from a menu & also chill with a sheesha.
Of all the iftars i have done, the best one IMHO is the Al Majalis in Jumeriah Madinat.
... and the best Suhar I have been to was in the Music Hall
Old May 23rd 2017, 9:03 am
...we killed the flame

Miss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse
... and the best Suhar I have been to was in the Music Hall
The best (and so far only) Suhar that I have been to is the one on the Batinah coast which has an interesting castle.
Old May 23rd 2017, 9:08 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Miss Ann Thrope
The best (and so far only) Suhar that I have been to is the one on the Batinah coast which has an interesting castle.
Did it used to be Sohar?
Old May 23rd 2017, 9:21 am
...we killed the flame

Miss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
Did it used to be Sohar?
It's a transliteration so can be spelled several ways I guess and I've seen both on signs. It's usually spelled Sohar but pronounced with the neutral Arabic vowel and sounds more like Suhar. The same neutral vowel sound that is written as "a" in al, "e" in etihad or "i" in ittihad (same word) but actually sounds more like "u" (like in but) when you say it... Go figure.
Old May 23rd 2017, 10:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

It's a transliteration so can be spelled several ways I guess and I've seen both on signs. It's usually spelled Sohar but pronounced with the neutral Arabic vowel and sounds more like Suhar. The same neutral vowel sound that is written as "a" in al, "e" in etihad or "i" in ittihad (same word) but actually sounds more like "u" (like in but) when you say it... Go figure.
Well, I said Sohar the first time, then took Mission's lead the second, thinking that as a Muslim (or is it Moslem ) she would know best. Turns out you knew better.
Old May 23rd 2017, 11:03 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

... and most Iftar's are shite.

You stand in a room looking at a great buffet with people starving to eat it. Then the bell rings and it's like animals to the feeding pot. 15mins later, everyone is stuffed and giggy. 30mins after that the hotel kicks you out so they can set up for Sohar.

So you have probably 60mins in the room: 15 looking at the food with people wanting to faint, 15 eating, 15 passing out, 15 getting ready to leave.

Of course, it shouldn't be like that... but that's generally how a 5* hotel iftar works.

And this is precisely why I don't go to any these days. It's all horribly rushed and not a very pleasant experience. Besides I don't fast so I feel obliged to wait for all those who have been to go up first so have even less time to enjoy a meal. I think I am somewhat over buffets anyway.
Old May 23rd 2017, 11:05 am
...we killed the flame

Well, I said Sohar the first time, then took Mission's lead the second, thinking that as a Muslim (or is it Moslem ) she would know best. Turns out you knew better.
About the pre-fasting meal, which is suhoor, you mean? I guess infinite variations that sound the same are acceptable - I don't think either Sohar or Suhar meet the standard...

Still I've seen arguments on Dubai internet forums where Pakistanis are arguing with Arabs insisting that the (Arabic name of the) holy month is correctly pronounced Ramazan.

And then there's the North/South division on the pronunciation of the Hindu new year (Diwali versus Deepavalli) which also seems to stir up strong emotions. People get very attached to things they were taught as youngsters and often can't accept any alternative even when it's demonstrably wrong. Hence religion and all that. And Daily Mail readers of course....

Last edited by Miss Ann Thrope; May 23rd 2017 at 11:07 am.
Old May 23rd 2017, 11:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

About the pre-fasting meal, which is suhoor, you mean? I guess infinite variations that sound the same are acceptable - I don't think either Sohar or Suhar meet the standard...

Still I've seen arguments on Dubai internet forums where Pakistanis are arguing with Arabs insisting that the (Arabic name of the) holy month is correctly pronounced Ramazan.

And then there's the North/South division on the pronunciation of the Hindu new year (Diwali versus Deepavalli) which also seems to stir up strong emotions. People get very attached to things they were taught as youngsters and often can't accept any alternative even when it's demonstrably wrong. Hence religion and all that. And Daily Mail readers of course....

even better - i'm confusing it with a port project we worked on once.
Old May 23rd 2017, 11:48 am
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute

Actually both these are the way i was taught to pronounce and spell.
MISS i must say i am in awe of your knowledge around things like this
Old May 23rd 2017, 11:58 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

even better - i'm confusing it with a port project we worked on once.
Oh I knew what you were writing wasn't what you were meaning because I've placed people there on an ORPIC job.

But couldn't remember the other name anyway...
Old May 23rd 2017, 12:41 pm
...we killed the flame

Originally Posted by mission
Actually both these are the way i was taught to pronounce and spell.
MISS i must say i am in awe of your knowledge around things like this
My other half is Omani.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.