Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

If You Were The Ruler of Dubai...

If You Were The Ruler of Dubai...

Old Aug 12th 2007, 6:53 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point
Default If You Were The Ruler of Dubai...

What would be the first changes YOU would make if you had the power to do virtually anything here...mine would be to pull down those concrete monstrosities known as Jumeirah Beach Residences, ban the construction of any more buildings over 10 storeys high and limit the number of unskilled labourers arriving here (and filling skilled labour jobs)...over to you guys.
Old Aug 12th 2007, 7:04 am
W10

Default Re: If You Were The Ruler of Dubai...

consumer protection laws, environmental laws, minimum wage, basic - low level taxation for high earners, compulsary arabic lessons in schools.

Basically - I'd make the country ecnomically unsustainable

Old Aug 12th 2007, 7:15 am
Forum Regular

Raaj is just really niceRaaj is just really niceRaaj is just really niceRaaj is just really niceRaaj is just really niceRaaj is just really niceRaaj is just really niceRaaj is just really niceRaaj is just really niceRaaj is just really niceRaaj is just really nice

Originally Posted by lionheart
What would be the first changes YOU would make if you had the power to do virtually anything here...mine would be to pull down those concrete monstrosities known as Jumeirah Beach Residences, ban the construction of any more buildings over 10 storeys high and limit the number of unskilled labourers arriving here (and filling skilled labour jobs)...over to you guys.
I will manage to mentain the roads and transport authority, and will try to make some industry here and will made a UAE own make..
MADE IN UAE.

like cars, they can afford and can do anything but they are not paying attention to it..
Old Aug 12th 2007, 9:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

they should get rid of the labour ban system and bring in other employment protection regulations. Things are far too one sided at the moment!

They should also allow people who have lived here a long time and contributed a lot to the country to apply for citizenship.
Old Aug 12th 2007, 9:28 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

I would ban spitting in the street.
Old Aug 12th 2007, 9:44 am

beebee is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Meow
I would ban spitting in the street.
...and 2 pin plugs
Old Aug 12th 2007, 9:45 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

Why no more than ten stories high?
consumer protection, currently shocking apparently improvements on way
environmental laws, AD's very good Dubai shocking, again from what I hear big changes on the way
Minimum wage, i get about 5 texts a day about that and some survey so i assume thats on its way
Tax, inevitable unfortunately
Arabic in schools is or certainly used to be compulsory
RTA, well their random but at least there trying
UAE is trying to start manufacturing on a larger scale but its a tough job, projects in place are silicon oasis ( but that IS a daft one), industrial city has attracted some but not here yet, Volkswagen are supposed to be setting up a plant in Abu Dhabi, there are several small and growing ship builders, aircraft manufacture is starting on a small scale, Sharjah has a huge no. of small manufacturers as does RAk
labour rules are changing but too slowly
Citizenship is available, if you have lived here for 25 yrs anyone can apply
Spitting in street is ilegal but no enforcement

To be honest there is not much i would change other than enforcement and speeding up of inititaves. Enforcement is the biggy as most of the explotation, passport holding, mistreatment etc is already illegal but little or no action is taken against violaters.
I would change press control though specifically regarding critisism of the govt. and reporting of the real finacial picture!
Old Aug 12th 2007, 9:49 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by beebee
...and 2 pin plugs
And those cars that don't have indicators.
Old Aug 12th 2007, 10:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
And those cars that don't have indicators.
but that's all of them...non??

MM, xx
Old Aug 12th 2007, 10:25 am
Forum Regular

Raaj is just really niceRaaj is just really niceRaaj is just really niceRaaj is just really niceRaaj is just really niceRaaj is just really niceRaaj is just really niceRaaj is just really niceRaaj is just really niceRaaj is just really niceRaaj is just really nice

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa
but that's all of them...non??

MM, xx
I Wish i would be the ruler of Dubai I will make this country same like UK.
Old Aug 12th 2007, 10:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Raaj
oh geez, i wouldn't...have you been to the uk recently??

MM, xx
Old Aug 12th 2007, 10:28 am

Oh no.. where would we all go...
Old Aug 12th 2007, 10:31 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa
oh geez, i wouldn't...have you been to the uk recently??

MM, xx
Nopes not yet but have plans to go...
Old Aug 12th 2007, 10:32 am

Nopes not yet but have plans to go...
Soon?
Old Aug 12th 2007, 10:35 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by beebee
Oh no.. where would we all go...
You will be there where u are,
Will strict the companies to provide with A class flats to the executive class workers.

Will strict them to increase 20% salary every year of the original labour contract.
If any co will be found to make less labour agreements as the salary slip shows, they will have to pay a penalty to the Govt and to the specific worker as well.

Lobourers should be provide with and handsome acccomodations with all facilites like dewa Etisalat etc....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.