Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

If you could live anywhere in the world where would it be & why

If you could live anywhere in the world where would it be & why

Old Nov 11th 2011, 8:20 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: If you could live anywhere in the world where would it be & why

Originally Posted by Alexa View Post
Nicaragua. Beautiful country, nice people, excellent weather and beaches. Food is not bad either.
Nice bargains on property too.
Interesting your perspective on Nicaragua,I have been around that part of the world and found Nicaragua (and Panama for that matter) pretty much quite depressingly dirt poor countries with huge crime and drug problems. So many of the shops or hotels had armed security guards outside.

If you made it there I am surprised that Costa rica isnt on your list, as its much nicer imo, educated people, good food, great climate and surroundings.
If I had a choice I would have a nice beach house on the pacific side
Old Nov 11th 2011, 4:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Alexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by weasel decentral View Post
Interesting your perspective on Nicaragua,I have been around that part of the world and found Nicaragua (and Panama for that matter) pretty much quite depressingly dirt poor countries with huge crime and drug problems. So many of the shops or hotels had armed security guards outside.

If you made it there I am surprised that Costa rica isnt on your list, as its much nicer imo, educated people, good food, great climate and surroundings.
If I had a choice I would have a nice beach house on the pacific side
Wow really? Have to admit , have not been myself, just looked at info on the net, specialized retirement/travel mags, and spoken to people...I got a very different outlook on things. BUT, thanks for your post, will look into it more and hopefully soon go there to see for myself.
When have you been there last?
Old Nov 11th 2011, 5:43 pm
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alexa View Post
Wow really? Have to admit , have not been myself, just looked at info on the net, specialized retirement/travel mags, and spoken to people...I got a very different outlook on things. BUT, thanks for your post, will look into it more and hopefully soon go there to see for myself.
When have you been there last?
I had to get my passport to check and depressingly it seems to be end of 2007/2008 and previously end of 2005/2006. It seems much closer than that to me.
Anyhow if its not some totally gated community or compound (like the ones they have in Jamica or Dominican republic) maybe its worth a look, but if you go to check it out, definitely cross the border into costa rica. well worth a trip or holiday for its own sake or investigation.
Old Nov 12th 2011, 8:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Alexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond repute

I had to get my passport to check and depressingly it seems to be end of 2007/2008 and previously end of 2005/2006. It seems much closer than that to me.
Anyhow if its not some totally gated community or compound (like the ones they have in Jamica or Dominican republic) maybe its worth a look, but if you go to check it out, definitely cross the border into costa rica. well worth a trip or holiday for its own sake or investigation.
Ah yes, you are right, it was pretty bad back then...have read about it. apparently things have changed, particularly in Nicaragua.
Will be making my way soon to the general area, will report back!
Old Nov 14th 2011, 4:51 am
Some say, he adores KSA

iamthestig has much to be proud ofiamthestig has much to be proud ofiamthestig has much to be proud ofiamthestig has much to be proud ofiamthestig has much to be proud ofiamthestig has much to be proud ofiamthestig has much to be proud ofiamthestig has much to be proud ofiamthestig has much to be proud ofiamthestig has much to be proud ofiamthestig has much to be proud of

As I currently live in Saudi, just about anywhere else in the world would be fantastic...

Places I've visited that I'd consider are:

Singapore - climate, civilised asia, food, but pricey
Malaysia - beautiful place, alcohol is a tad expensive
Thailand - A bit crazy, cheap as chips, never a dull moment
Ireland - my spiritual home, the people, the culture

Places I've been that I'd never consider:

USA - christian fundamentalism, boorish oafs, healthcare
France - some nice parts but too many arseholes
Old Nov 16th 2011, 4:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Paracletus will become famous soon enoughParacletus will become famous soon enough

My old man lives in DR. A bit outside the capital in a compound. The wife was shocked first time we went as there were dudes with shotguns on the street corners (see: Security guards). It's a small golf course compound, and the surrounding walls are laughably low. Crime is pretty rife, but not a real issue in that particular part. Whenever I go I borrow his push-bike and cycle around and lounge at the family beach bar eating and drinking free. It's also somewhat outside the main tourist drag, so it has a good local feel. Loads of poverty, but it really does look like an actual developing country unlike so many 'not developing at all' countries. But meh..I hate merengue so could never live there. The locals just hate the Haitians..

As far as places I'd like to live..Well, I guess my list is something like:

New Zealand, not sure on town or city..but I do like cities that are not too big and close to something else but suburbs.

Buenos Aires, never been..more of a fantasy I guess.

Brazil, probably Sao Paolo..so much good thrash metal that's come out from there.

Lebanon, although it has it's fair share of problems, I've always enjoyed it.

Perhaps an Island somewhere in the Philippines, definitely an island in the pacific somewhere

Somewhere in Germany perhaps, Hamburg maybe..it's got a bit of a debauched reputation I'd think would fall into my liking..not heard anyone speak bad of the place ever in fact (go ahead, prove me wrong..)

I was thinking to add an African location perhaps, but not sure my demanding self could happily live in sub-saharan Africa again..SA is off the cards, that shit is too nuts..I hate living in fortresses or needing to have a security guard. Haven't needed one for a decade, and I see no point in beginning again. They're usually the first to run anyway, 'lol'. But Swaziland was always nice, perhaps as Maputo wasn't at the time, but I'd love to get back to Mozambique.

But for now it's sunny Norway, moved here from Bahrain a few months back. I don't regret leaving the ME one bit. I get paid well, yes, I pay alot of taxes..but I'm happy, I survive and then some.. I guess I shouldn't be surprised, but Norwegians seem to be quite pragmatic in thinking about it (taxes)..they do complain, but mostly because they have to, but they are quick to point out the things they get in return. There appears to be a bit of a rape epidemic here in Oslo atm, but besides that..it was pretty much as I hoped. Relaxed, quiet and friendly. It is just beginning to get cold. And as long as there isn't a complete collapse in the Euro just yet, I reckon I'll be safe here for a bit. It's surprisingly international here as well.

And before I leave, I'd like to state I'd never want to move back to lurvly Ingerland. I'm british by birth, but it ends just about there. Couldn't go back to just being a regular joe.

Last edited by Paracletus; Nov 16th 2011 at 4:42 am.
Old Nov 16th 2011, 5:11 pm
Forum Regular

giddyup is a name known to allgiddyup is a name known to allgiddyup is a name known to allgiddyup is a name known to allgiddyup is a name known to allgiddyup is a name known to allgiddyup is a name known to allgiddyup is a name known to allgiddyup is a name known to allgiddyup is a name known to allgiddyup is a name known to all

Definitely New Zealand for moi
Old Nov 17th 2011, 2:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Tockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond repute

A houseboat on Lake Kariba, Zimbabwe