Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

If teleportation exisited...

If teleportation exisited...

Old Mar 11th 2010, 11:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: If teleportation exisited...

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
Its been around for ages: the Japanese manga & anime Doraemon has a Dokodemo Doa (transl: Anywhere Door) which allows both spatial and temporal travel. Been doing it since the 50's in print and 70's on TV. Never did Nobita any harm. (Incindentally saw it dubbed into Arabic last month in Saudi. From Japanese to Arabic: there HAD to be something lost in translation.)

But I disagree with Kittycat The huge efficiencies and reduction in CO2 emissions would far outweigh the disadvantages.

You'd have to assume that teleportation wouldn't become instantly available for everything--technology takes time to develop, so you're not going to have it available for multi-cellular life forms at the same time that it becomes available for having your king prawn dopiaza delivered directly from Delhi. As the efficiencies grow the savings could and would be re-directed to safeguarding against the risks; market forces and government intervention would ensure that. The transition during the Industrial Revolution ended up with a better place to be, even though the change at the time was huge.

Big cover up? Nah. I don't believe the technology exists, nor could it. Dissassembly and reassembly of living organisms? Took 2 Iranians and 1 Afghan a whole day to do that to my inanimate pool table last week and they still fouled it up.

Mind you, wouldn't mind popping back home to Ilkley tonight for an hour or two--the current Mrs Bahtatboy says she's missing me.

ps Why doesn't my Manage Attachment or Attachments paperclip allow me to attach anything?
There's a Mrs Bahtatboy?? And a current one at that???

You surprise me............

If we have another one of those end-of-year polls this year, can I nominate Bahtatboy as Newby of the Year? I'm enjoying him more and more as each day goes by..........

And what is it you want to attach? I could try for you. Just attach it to a PM, and send it to me........... er, no, hang on.... er..........
Old Mar 11th 2010, 12:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

Mind you, wouldn't mind popping back home to Ilkley tonight for an hour or two--the current Mrs Bahtatboy says she's missing me.
She's only saying shes missing you as she knows thats what shes meant to say- she is actually shagging the milkman
Old Mar 11th 2010, 12:12 pm
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by kittycat1
She's only saying shes missing you as she knows thats what shes meant to say- she is actually shagging the milkman
Do they still have milkmen in Yorkshire? More likely the cable guy.
Old Mar 11th 2010, 12:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm pretty sure they still have milkmen in Yorkshire- I've seen some in Harrogate!
Old Mar 11th 2010, 12:26 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

But she says she love me long time.
Old Mar 11th 2010, 12:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Well if she said that it must be true! Was this after you sent the first pay cheque home???
Old Mar 11th 2010, 1:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

spart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud of

Well if she said that it must be true! Was this after you sent the first pay cheque home???
Or to her "uncle" in Mindanao?
Old Mar 12th 2010, 4:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Confucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond repute

Discussion with colleague today, personally I think if teleportation was possible then it would actually not be used as it would actually cause a collapse of the global economy and life as we know it, so if it ever did become feasible the governments and powers that be would stop it from being commercially available.

So in my theory teleportation would lead to the collapse of transportation industries, no cars, no planes, no boats, no trains, which would lead to no airports/train stations, no manufacturing of these modes of transports, extreme reduction in fuel consumption (assuming the teleportation would run off a renewable energy source and would not be an oil based fuel), so closure of petrol stations, driving instructors would be no more, you would no longer need roads, no road tax, no fuel tax, no car tax, no logistics companies required, no dustbin men. So job losses and loss in tax revenue would be massive. Also would make crime and terrorism harder to monitor, obesity levels would increase substantially, people would work shorter hours as wouldn't have to travel before or after the rush hour.

Salary banding would become global so essentially would be more competitive so would be reduced (based on anyone in the world being able to travel anywhere in the world to work so applications per job would be incredibly high and therefore salaries would be forced down), the retail industry as we know it would collapse as why would you go shopping on the UK high street if you could zap over to New York or Hong Kong or Milan for the afternoon.

On the upside tourism would boom globally, vegetables would be fresh in supermarkets and carbon emissions would be cut to practically zero.

I could go on and on about the ramifications of teleportation but you get the idea- anyone any thoughts on there being a big cover up so the economy stays stable ish....

I actually smell a blockbuster movie here....

anything I've missed out?

Kittycat
xxx
You must be one of those people who build ships with matchsticks in their spare time...MacScot also has the same hobby...
Old Mar 12th 2010, 4:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Confucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Dean
There's a Mrs Bahtatboy?? And a current one at that???

You surprise me............

If we have another one of those end-of-year polls this year, can I nominate Bahtatboy as Newby of the Year? I'm enjoying him more and more as each day goes by..........

And what is it you want to attach? I could try for you. Just attach it to a PM, and send it to me........... er, no, hang on.... er..........
Just say the word and I'll set up the poll....
Old Mar 12th 2010, 4:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

seven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond repute

AND they only managed to move it a tiny distance too. Interestign ideas though... Well done Kittycat.
Old Mar 12th 2010, 5:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

carbon emissions would be cut to practically zero.
It would have to use some form of energy though.
Old Mar 12th 2010, 5:04 pm
If I have to explain...

Roadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
There is enough bullshit produced on here to power numerous teleportation systems...
Old Mar 12th 2010, 5:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

You must be one of those people who build ships with matchsticks in their spare time...MacScot also has the same hobby...
Actually I make mini models of the Burj Kalifa from matchsticks including plummeting lifts and damaged viewing areas- what do you do in your spare time Confuscious? just sit about wanking??

Actually, my other idea is to have exercise bikes put into prisons that generate electricity and link them up to the national grid and have the prisoners generate enough energy for the entire planet, also to link up gyms and add solar panels to all buildings + a few wind farms and use wave energy- not that I've given it much thought!
Old Mar 12th 2010, 5:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Actually I make mini models of the Burj Kalifa from matchsticks including plummeting lifts and damaged viewing areas- what do you do in your spare time Confuscious? just sit about wanking??

Actually, my other idea is to have exercise bikes put into prisons that generate electricity and link them up to the national grid and have the prisoners generate enough energy for the entire planet, also to link up gyms and add solar panels to all buildings + a few wind farms and use wave energy- not that I've given it much thought!
Sit about wanking???...I'm much more creative than you are; I do it standing up, while driving, in the lift, when reading your posts...The list is endless...
Old Mar 12th 2010, 7:32 pm
Roving Donny fan.

Location: Doncaster, UK. But not for long!!! Where's my visa!!!
glynster is just really niceglynster is just really niceglynster is just really niceglynster is just really niceglynster is just really niceglynster is just really niceglynster is just really niceglynster is just really niceglynster is just really niceglynster is just really nice

Originally Posted by Confucius
Sit about wanking???...I'm much more creative than you are; I do it standing up, while driving, in the lift, when reading your posts...The list is endless...
ah the joys of wanking,that explains the tissues at the petrol stations,gonna be difficult in abu dhabi when they get those cameras working.