British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Iceland Water Park (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/iceland-water-park-716096/)

Blue Cat May 8th 2011 4:25 am

Iceland Water Park
 
http://www.icelandwaterpark.com/

Has anyone tried it yet? thinking about going next weekend :)

Norm_uk May 8th 2011 6:48 am

Re: Iceland Water Park
 

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 9350090)
http://www.icelandwaterpark.com/

Has anyone tried it yet? thinking about going next weekend :)

Never heard of it - my boy might be interested...anything to get him away from the Wii :)

N.

lullabelle May 8th 2011 9:21 am

Re: Iceland Water Park
 
We drove past it last weekend - looked nuts and the kids were impressed.

My mate went to it last year with her best friend. They said it was the most bonkers theme park ever - blue AstroTurf is everywhere supposedly representing ice and one of the rides they weigh you before you go on it! Can you imagine "sorry mamsir, too fat for this one!" It's pretty deserted though so no hideous queues.

BUT a thirty five year old Londoner is not really their target audience. My five and seven year old were intrigued and are desperate to go. Lifesize penguins? Check. Fake icebergs? Check. Have you lurked on expatcrazymam to see what their opinions are?

It's worth a trip just to visit the offie on the way back - barracuda's was HEAVING last week, but worth it for the mandarin vodka and Bombay sapphire.

Damn, now I want a g&t and it's only half one.

kittycat1 May 8th 2011 9:23 am

Re: Iceland Water Park
 
LIFESIZE PENGUINS!!! I wanna go!

Ok Im having a blonde moment, I was thinking that meant human size penguins- but you actually mean normal penguin size penguins- so not actualy genetically modified real 6 ft penguins? Im a bit disappointed now to be honest. And I can't open the link :-( sob

lullabelle May 8th 2011 9:26 am

Re: Iceland Water Park
 

Originally Posted by kittycat1 (Post 9350383)
LIFESIZE PENGUINS!!! I wanna go!

Not real ones, mind. Have I ruined for you?

:o

kittycat1 May 8th 2011 9:29 am

Re: Iceland Water Park
 
Yep- see my edit above- no 6ft real penguins for me :(

Blue Cat May 8th 2011 1:48 pm

Re: Iceland Water Park
 

Originally Posted by lullabelle (Post 9350377)
We drove past it last weekend - looked nuts and the kids were impressed.

My mate went to it last year with her best friend. They said it was the most bonkers theme park ever - blue AstroTurf is everywhere supposedly representing ice and one of the rides they weigh you before you go on it! Can you imagine "sorry mamsir, too fat for this one!" It's pretty deserted though so no hideous queues.

BUT a thirty five year old Londoner is not really their target audience. My five and seven year old were intrigued and are desperate to go. Lifesize penguins? Check. Fake icebergs? Check. Have you lurked on expatcrazymam to see what their opinions are?

It's worth a trip just to visit the offie on the way back - barracuda's was HEAVING last week, but worth it for the mandarin vodka and Bombay sapphire.

Damn, now I want a g&t and it's only half one.

was banned from expatflange years ago :) think I might have to check out this water park though :)

hnd May 8th 2011 1:59 pm

Re: Iceland Water Park
 
This was posted on Trip Advisor earlier today in response to a similar question:

"my 10 year old daughter and I had a day at Iceland water park located just outside RAK city, it was about £4 in a taxi and 20 mins from our hotel (Hilton resort and spa in RAK) it would take over an hour to get there from most Dubai located hotels, we went on a Tuesday in mid April 2011, we had the best day out ever! we arrived at 10am to beat the crowds (Florida style) the park was open but completely deserted apart from loads of lifeguards, the park is relatively new and is the biggest in UAE, we were treated like celebrities as soon as we walked in as it appeared the staff were not used to tourists going there! a girl from customer services helped us with the pay desk, then helped us getting towels and a locker, we got changed and explored the park! completely deserted of guests! but strangely although everywhere was well attended by lifeguards, none of the rides or wave pool was operating, what I did not realise was for some reason the park opened at 10am but all the attractions were not turned on till 11am! we spent the most surreal hour of my life walking around wave pools with no waves, water slides with no water flowing and a lazy river with no flow!! I tried enquiring with the staff what was happening but could not find anyone who could understand me! luckily by 10.30 we saw another family come in!!! at 11am it was like a big switch had been turned on! water started flowing, gurgling,gushing and spraying everywhere! my daughter could hardly contain here excitement! she was in probably the best waterpark she had ever been to! (and we have been to a lot round the world including aquaventure) and she had the place nearly to herself!!

there are loads of water rides at Iceland, we went on everyone twice and did not have to wait one minute for any, more people were coming in all the time but I doubt there was more than 100 people at its peak!

I think this is mainly to do with the fact that in my 2 weeks in the UAE in never saw this park advertised in anyway! I only heard about it from one of the local drivers we had hired

I would think the park is packed on a weekend with locals, but it will never be busy with tourists as no one has heard of it!!!

if you like waterparks, go mid week and you will not be disappointed!

your kids will love it!!! "


hth

Spugsy May 8th 2011 3:40 pm

Re: Iceland Water Park
 

Originally Posted by kittycat1 (Post 9350383)
LIFESIZE PENGUINS!!! I wanna go!

Ok Im having a blonde moment, I was thinking that meant human size penguins- but you actually mean normal penguin size penguins- so not actualy genetically modified real 6 ft penguins? Im a bit disappointed now to be honest. And I can't open the link :-( sob

We're doing a pitch at the moment for Dubai Mall AQuarium, they have loads of real penguins in there now.

Spugsy May 8th 2011 3:41 pm

Re: Iceland Water Park
 

Originally Posted by hnd (Post 9350771)
This was posted on Trip Advisor earlier today in response to a similar question:

"my 10 year old daughter and I had a day at Iceland water park located just outside RAK city, it was about £4 in a taxi and 20 mins from our hotel (Hilton resort and spa in RAK) it would take over an hour to get there from most Dubai located hotels, we went on a Tuesday in mid April 2011, we had the best day out ever! we arrived at 10am to beat the crowds (Florida style) the park was open but completely deserted apart from loads of lifeguards, the park is relatively new and is the biggest in UAE, we were treated like celebrities as soon as we walked in as it appeared the staff were not used to tourists going there! a girl from customer services helped us with the pay desk, then helped us getting towels and a locker, we got changed and explored the park! completely deserted of guests! but strangely although everywhere was well attended by lifeguards, none of the rides or wave pool was operating, what I did not realise was for some reason the park opened at 10am but all the attractions were not turned on till 11am! we spent the most surreal hour of my life walking around wave pools with no waves, water slides with no water flowing and a lazy river with no flow!! I tried enquiring with the staff what was happening but could not find anyone who could understand me! luckily by 10.30 we saw another family come in!!! at 11am it was like a big switch had been turned on! water started flowing, gurgling,gushing and spraying everywhere! my daughter could hardly contain here excitement! she was in probably the best waterpark she had ever been to! (and we have been to a lot round the world including aquaventure) and she had the place nearly to herself!!

there are loads of water rides at Iceland, we went on everyone twice and did not have to wait one minute for any, more people were coming in all the time but I doubt there was more than 100 people at its peak!

I think this is mainly to do with the fact that in my 2 weeks in the UAE in never saw this park advertised in anyway! I only heard about it from one of the local drivers we had hired

I would think the park is packed on a weekend with locals, but it will never be busy with tourists as no one has heard of it!!!

if you like waterparks, go mid week and you will not be disappointed!

your kids will love it!!! "


hth

Oh man I'm all over that...

Blue Cat May 8th 2011 3:42 pm

Re: Iceland Water Park
 

Originally Posted by Spugsy (Post 9350883)
Oh man I'm all over that...

we got to go :thumbup:

busybee2 May 9th 2011 6:26 pm

Re: Iceland Water Park
 
yep they weigh you i think cannot be over 80kg and they do it in public and let everyone know.

Spugsy May 9th 2011 6:41 pm

Re: Iceland Water Park
 

Originally Posted by busybee2 (Post 9353142)
yep they weigh you i think cannot be over 80kg and they do it in public and let everyone know.

Honest??

Well that's me not going on that one then...

Blue Cat May 10th 2011 3:45 am

Re: Iceland Water Park
 

Originally Posted by Spugsy (Post 9353185)
Honest??

Well that's me not going on that one then...

:(

this can't be true, surely ?

Blue Cat May 10th 2011 3:55 am

Re: Iceland Water Park
 
I have been right through the wesbite, there is a section on height's and prices but nothing on being weighed at all. I am going to ring them.


All times are GMT. The time now is 6:05 am.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.