Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

IB results for a well known school

Wikiposts

IB results for a well known school

Old Jul 23rd 2011, 1:03 am
Just Joined

The wicked lady is just really niceThe wicked lady is just really niceThe wicked lady is just really niceThe wicked lady is just really niceThe wicked lady is just really niceThe wicked lady is just really niceThe wicked lady is just really niceThe wicked lady is just really nice
Default IB results for a well known school

Only 3 out of 26 people in repton are going to university. Approximately 1 third of the students failed the diploma itself, the lowest score was 16 !!!!!
Most people who expected in the 40's got low 30's or even high 20's

I wonder how other schools in Dubai have done?

Last edited by The wicked lady; Jul 23rd 2011 at 1:13 am.
Old Jul 23rd 2011, 1:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: IB results for a well known school

Originally Posted by The wicked lady
Only 3 out of 26 people in repton are going to university. Approximately 1 third of the students failed the diploma itself, the lowest score was 16 !!!!!
Most people who expected in the 40's got low 30's or even high 20's

I wonder how other schools in Dubai have done?
To get its numbers up in the early years of its life, Repton took in some dross...... and that's just the teachers........

The IB is a very tough exam, considerably harder than the A-Level equivalent, and requiring more of an enquiring mind and a greater ability to write in a logical and reasoned fashion.

Also - I'd like to know the calibre of people who "expected in the 40s"?? 45 is the maximum and only a handful get that every year worldwide. Perhaps Repton convinced the parents that their cute little angels Euthanasia and Chlamydia were really very very bright and would sail through......... shameful.

Basically - if they can't teach the Bacc, they should drop it and revert to A-Levels.
Old Jul 23rd 2011, 1:28 am
Just Joined

The wicked lady is just really niceThe wicked lady is just really niceThe wicked lady is just really niceThe wicked lady is just really niceThe wicked lady is just really niceThe wicked lady is just really niceThe wicked lady is just really niceThe wicked lady is just really nice

Its clear that they cant teach IB so I wouldnt hold out much hope of them being able to teach A level. What a shame for the students.
Old Jul 23rd 2011, 1:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Dean
To get its numbers up in the early years of its life, Repton took in some dross...... and that's just the teachers........

The IB is a very tough exam, considerably harder than the A-Level equivalent, and requiring more of an enquiring mind and a greater ability to write in a logical and reasoned fashion.

Also - I'd like to know the calibre of people who "expected in the 40s"?? 45 is the maximum and only a handful get that every year worldwide. Perhaps Repton convinced the parents that their cute little angels Euthanasia and Chlamydia were really very very bright and would sail through......... shameful.

Basically - if they can't teach the Bacc, they should drop it and revert to A-Levels.
I agree with this (partially). The point is that IB is tougher, better and the drop out rate higher. Anyone expecting good IB results as they are at a 'good school' is, frankly, a fool. It's a bit like someone expecting bad results just as they are at a 'bad school'. Neither is a given

IB's, like A levels 20 years ago, require self study and motivation to learn. I'd say the school is really ancillary to the whole thing - the balance of study at that level should be about 20-30% school led tuition and 70-80% self study.

If the kids were too busy at Wild Waddi at the weekends then it's sort of their own fault...
Old Jul 23rd 2011, 1:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Its clear that they cant teach IB so I wouldnt hold out much hope of them being able to teach A level. What a shame for the students.
This is blame culture. The student sat the exam, not the school. Millhouse offers no sympathy...
Old Jul 23rd 2011, 1:39 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Millhouse
I agree with this (partially). The point is that IB is tougher, better and the drop out rate higher. Anyone expecting good IB results as they are at a 'good school' is, frankly, a fool. It's a bit like someone expecting bad results just as they are at a 'bad school'. Neither is a given

IB's, like A levels 20 years ago, require self study and motivation to learn. I'd say the school is really ancillary to the whole thing - the balance of study at that level should be about 20-30% school led tuition and 70-80% self study.

If the kids were too busy at Wild Waddi at the weekends then it's sort of their own fault...

Whilst i agree about self motivation you can hardly blame the kids if they have not been taught or had the basic resources can you? Does a school not have to take some form of responsibility for such poor results across the board?
Old Jul 23rd 2011, 1:40 am
Just Joined

This is blame culture. The student sat the exam, not the school. Millhouse offers no sympathy...

Students as in WHOLE year group not Student!
Old Jul 23rd 2011, 1:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Whilst i agree about self motivation you can hardly blame the kids if they have not been taught or had the basic resources can you? Does a school not have to take some form of responsibility for such poor results across the board?
In my opinion, not really. Anyone expecting to be spoon fed is misguided.

The basic resources for IB are the textbooks, biro, pencil, ruler, calculator and probably a log-log book. I'm pretty sure the repton had these available.

The interesting thing is that at university the standard of tuition falls dramatically and you are pretty much expected to go it alone.
Old Jul 23rd 2011, 1:54 am
Just Joined

In my opinion, not really. Anyone expecting to be spoon fed is misguided.

The basic resources for IB are the textbooks, biro, pencil, ruler, calculator and probably a log-log book. I'm pretty sure the repton had these available.

The interesting thing is that at university the standard of tuition falls dramatically and you are pretty much expected to go it alone.
Did you say textbooks?