Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

I think I just saw someone die

I think I just saw someone die

Old Aug 14th 2009, 11:38 am
Powered by cows

Autonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond repute
Default I think I just saw someone die

Jesus - that was nuts.

Just left Barracuda and was driving down the 2 lane highway heading back to the roundabout. I was on the inside lane doing 80kms and an approx 10 year old Lexus went passed me doing about 100kms, fast but not crazy fast.

He'd gone 200m or so passed me and I saw the car kicking up dust, he'd some how went in to the central dirt strip. Almost instantly after going into the middle he hit one of the massive motorway style street lamps head on.

The car spun in the air and landed facing the other way.

I pulled over and me and a couple of other Arabic guys from another car ran over. The front over his car was completely totalled, huge central dent in the bonnet, window smashed. The big Arabic driver of the crashed car opened his door and was dazed but appeared relatively unharmed.

However he was crying out for his wife, she was covered in blood and completely unresponsive. A few guys yanked open his wife's door and were trying to help her. The guy was shaking her and I was trying to get the guys to tell him to stop, that she needed to be kept still but they were not listening. He kept shaking her, but no response. I really think she was gone.

I think he drifted on to the dirt and panicked, a tire could have burst I guess, it was a pretty straight road with no other cars or objects near him. I'm sure he had no time to slow much so I think they must have hit the lamppost at at least 90kms head on.

I don't know for certain but I think he had his belt on and and she didn't. He was unhurt but she had appeared to smash her head hard of either the windscreen or the dashboard.

I really, really hope she was ok, but I really don't think she was...

BY this time there were 20 or more people on the scene and police / ambulance on they way - there was nothing I could do so left...

Very, very tragic. Poor guy crying out for his wife was awful....
Old Aug 14th 2009, 12:26 pm
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I think I just saw someone die

Originally Posted by Autonomy
Jesus - that was nuts.

Just left Barracuda and was driving down the 2 lane highway heading back to the roundabout. I was on the inside lane doing 80kms and an approx 10 year old Lexus went passed me doing about 100kms, fast but not crazy fast.

He'd gone 200m or so passed me and I saw the car kicking up dust, he'd some how went in to the central dirt strip. Almost instantly after going into the middle he hit one of the massive motorway style street lamps head on.

I pulled over and me and a couple of other Arabic guys from another car ran over. The front over his car was completely totalled, huge central dent in the bonnet, window smashed. The big Arabic driver of the crashed car opened his door and was dazed but appeared relatively unharmed.

However he was crying out for his wife, she was covered in blood and completely unresponsive. A few guys yanked open his wife's door and were trying to help her. The guy was shaking her and I was trying to get the guys to tell him to stop, that she needed to be kept still but they were not listening. He kept shaking her, but no response. I really think she was gone.

I think he drifted on to the dirt and panicked, a tire could have burst I guess, it was a pretty straight road with no other cars or objects near him. I'm sure he had no time to slow much so I think they must have hit the lamppost at at least 90kms head on.

I don't know for certain but I think he had his belt on and and she didn't. He was unhurt but she had appeared to smash her head hard of either the windscreen or the dashboard.

BY this time there were 20 or more people on the scene and police / ambulance on they way - there was nothing I could do so left...

Its never good seeing this happen, but you have to ask why is it that people STILL do not wear seatbelts whilst in a car..

I know the road you are talking and it is relatively straight, until you get to the R/A's, so you also have to ask yourself how the hell he managed to veer into the central reservation.. OK, sometimes drifting sand obscures the edges of the road there, but you can still determine the safest position on the road..

Unfortunately, another case of lack of concentration...

This may sound cold, but it does sound like Darwinian selection in its most gruesome form......
Old Aug 14th 2009, 12:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

shakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond repute

Jesus - that was nuts.

How shitty. I saw a guy get run over when I was a kid - really not good, can still remember the lifeless face. Whispers of mortality and all that.

Have a stiff drink!
Old Aug 14th 2009, 1:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Jesus - that was nuts.

Not good fella. I saw someone killed in an accident in Abu Dhabi (she steped off the road into the path of a taxi without looking)

Try not to think too much about it. Sadly it's life in this part of the world.
Old Aug 14th 2009, 1:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Confucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond repute

Jesus - that was nuts.

Unfortunately you'll need 2 weeks to get over the haunting sights and images...

Take it easy...
Old Aug 14th 2009, 1:58 pm

rowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond repute

I really feel for you Auto, that must have been terrible to see not just the accident but the state of the husband in his panic. Take care
Old Aug 14th 2009, 3:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

omg, that is awful...and a reminder how important it is to wear seatbelts, i'm relly bad about not wearing a belt if i'm in the back, so must be more mindful in the future...

MM, xx
Old Aug 14th 2009, 3:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

shakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa
omg, that is awful...and a reminder how important it is to wear seatbelts, i'm relly bad about not wearing a belt if i'm in the back, so must be more mindful in the future...

MM, xx
Probably because usually when you are in the back, it is the back of a taxi, pished.

In all seriousness - it is a reminder of what can happen. You're more likely to die on the road than of swine flu.
Old Aug 14th 2009, 4:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

benzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond repute

Autonomy,

May sound harsh - but next time keep on driving and don't stop. I know someone to which a similar incident happened in Saudi and he found himself facing a few years in prison. An accident he had no involvement in was completely blamed on him because he happened to be an expat and in the vicinity.

May feel shitty thing to do, but driving off the the safest thing when ove here.
Old Aug 14th 2009, 4:22 pm
Account Closed

ceres is an unknown quantity at this point

How very sad. I hope she was okay.
A man was knocked down on SZR a few months ago and coming up to the accident, I kept telling myself don't look, don't look, don't look, but you can't help yourself and you look. The image of him lying there, stayed with me for months.

What really gets to me, is locals with their little ones bouncing about in the back of the car or sitting on their parents knee's in the front without any restraint. In this day and age, it's just plain ignorance, not to know exactly what happens to a unrestrained child when you hit something at any speed.
Old Aug 14th 2009, 4:32 pm
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

MM god I am really bad also for rear belting. My wife always tells me...

Why is it second nature in the front and not in the back!!!

Ps sorry what you have witnessed, current personal statistics for kinda similar 4 dead, one survived

Close your eyes, embrace the images, deal with, laugh and move on..

Trust me
Old Aug 15th 2009, 2:45 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

That's pretty rough...but there's not much you can do and you'll get over it when it goes to the back of your mind.

When I was in high school, some bird was crossing the road, without looking and got nailed by a car doing 30, wasn't speeding, but she got well munted across the road, pretty nasty.

Not far from where I live, on the motor way, I just missed this thankfully, but a bloke had broken down and tried to cross the motorway, which was daft, anyway, he got hit by a tanker. I drove by after the body parts were covered by a few sheets you could tell it was a person and not a animal even though he was in three pieces. Poor sods who might have actually seen the accident happen.
Old Aug 15th 2009, 5:06 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Jesus - that was nuts.

You're probably suffering from delayed shock...just take it easy for a while. You did the best you could...
Old Aug 15th 2009, 6:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by benzonar
Autonomy,

May sound harsh - but next time keep on driving and don't stop. I know someone to which a similar incident happened in Saudi and he found himself facing a few years in prison. An accident he had no involvement in was completely blamed on him because he happened to be an expat and in the vicinity.

May feel shitty thing to do, but driving off the the safest thing when ove here.
yep that would be my advice, you should never stop for an accident, hard as it may be, as an expat if you have anything to do with it, they may be blamed or as a witness you may be "not allowed" to leave the country until its all sorted, and if there has been anybody that has been hurt again you "will not be allowed" to leave and detained at somebody's pleasure!
Old Aug 15th 2009, 6:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by commander
MM god I am really bad also for rear belting. My wife always tells me...

Why is it second nature in the front and not in the back!!!

Ps sorry what you have witnessed, current personal statistics for kinda similar 4 dead, one survived

Close your eyes, embrace the images, deal with, laugh and move on..

Trust me
why should it be any different in the back?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.