Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

I saw something rather shocking today...

I saw something rather shocking today...

Old Jul 28th 2010, 3:35 pm
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I saw something rather shocking today...

While at Emarat after work for coffee and a pack of cigarettes (don't get judgemental, it was too tempting to start smoking again in Austria and I swear I will stop this weekend).

A little Emirati girl about age 8 comes up to the bakeria counter while I'm waiting for the coffee, and asks ever so politely to the Filipina girl for one of the plastic cup covers.

The Filipina hands over the requested cover.

The Emirati girl beams and says very genuinely:

'Thank you!'

I kid you not. I was floored. Left my mouth hanging open in shock.

I don't think I've ever heard an Emirati thank a Filipina worker before...
Old Jul 28th 2010, 3:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I saw something rather shocking today...

Originally Posted by Ethos83
While at Emarat after work for coffee and a pack of cigarettes (don't get judgemental, it was too tempting to start smoking again in Austria and I swear I will stop this weekend).

A little Emirati girl about age 8 comes up to the bakeria counter while I'm waiting for the coffee, and asks ever so politely to the Filipina girl for one of the plastic cup covers.

The Filipina hands over the requested cover.

The Emirati girl beams and says very genuinely:

'Thank you!'

I kid you not. I was floored. Left my mouth hanging open in shock.

I don't think I've ever heard an Emirati thank a Filipina worker before...
Are you sure you heard correctly? She may have said "f uck you"
Old Jul 28th 2010, 5:23 pm
You read these things?

auzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse
Are you sure you heard correctly? She may have said "f uck you"
Old Jul 28th 2010, 5:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

seven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah- amazing. Some arabs are humans after all.
Why don't you just **** off to whichever damp council flat you're from if you have such trouble adjusting socially?
Old Jul 28th 2010, 5:52 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by seven seas
Yeah- amazing. Some arabs are humans after all.
Why don't you just **** off to whichever damp council flat you're from if you have such trouble adjusting socially?
Oooohhhh...I'm skeered.....

I did live in a damp boarding house at an expensive boarding school for five years if that helps.
Old Jul 28th 2010, 6:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

seven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond repute

it explains the sneerign from behind the keyboard and delusions of superiority...
Old Jul 28th 2010, 6:15 pm
Account Closed

You only have that part right. I sneer in public and I have a very justifiable sense of superiority.

The whole point of sending me to boarding school rather than the perfectly fine local comp was to ensure the above. My parents were afraid I was becoming too egalitarian from living in the US.

it explains the sneerign from behind the keyboard and delusions of superiority...
Old Jul 28th 2010, 6:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawn
Old Jul 28th 2010, 6:38 pm
Account Closed

What? Can't deal with a sense of humour?

Oh, that's right. It's already established you completely and utterly lack one.

yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawn
Old Jul 28th 2010, 6:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

What? Can't deal with a sense of humor.
oh, i always had you down as a brit...how wrong i was, eh...

MM, xx
Old Jul 28th 2010, 6:42 pm
Account Closed

Dual citizenship, darling. Half my life in one country, the other half in the other. My English can be messy sometimes.

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa
oh, i always had you down as a brit...how wrong i was, eh...

MM, xx
Old Jul 28th 2010, 6:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

Dual citizenship, darling. Half my life in one country, the other half in the other. My English can be messy sometimes.
that missing "u" is so telling...

MM, xx
Old Jul 28th 2010, 6:49 pm
Account Closed

Shall I scan my passport as proof?

Do you want it certified as well?

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa
that missing "u" is so telling...

MM, xx
Old Jul 28th 2010, 6:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Shall I scan my passport as proof?

Do you want it certified as well?
yep, feel free to pm if you don't want to share, lol...

MM, xx
Old Jul 28th 2010, 7:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

I decided to give yo a break before you started crying.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.