Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

I salute a very brave lady.......

I salute a very brave lady.......

Old Dec 12th 2007, 2:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute
Default I salute a very brave lady.......

Speaking out like this is not encouraged over here..... nor is me cut-and-pasting it...... Aiyah is a research fellow and a freelance journo.....

On the Flogging of a Female Rape Victim
Aiyah Saihati, Arab News —

As some of you might know, something happened in Saudi Arabia sometime ago that captured much attention. A Saudi woman went out to meet a person she knew, who happened to be male. She found herself in a situation where seven men abducted her and her male companion and then proceeded to gang-rape the two abductees. Instead of only having her persecutors brought to justice, this woman, a victim of brutal rape, was treated like a criminal and sentenced.

Initially, the woman was sentenced to 90 lashes. When her lawyer appealed the sentence and spoke about the injustice of the situation to the media, her sentence was increased to six months in jail and 200 lashes.

I, as a Saudi woman, committed to my government and its equal treatment of all its citizens, refuse to accept that this will be the fate of this woman.

It is our collective responsibility, as concerned citizens of this great nation, and of the world, to eradicate the mindset and flaws in the system that allow such a miscarriage of justice to stand and cause a woman to be punished for an action of which she was the victim.
<<snip>>

Last edited by Bob; Dec 12th 2007 at 4:40 pm. Reason: copyright issues? Got a link to the source?
Old Dec 12th 2007, 2:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I salute a very brave lady.......

wow...sobering stuff, and yep, she is very brave...i take it she's not in hiding or out of the country, The Dean...??

MM, xx
Old Dec 12th 2007, 3:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa
wow...sobering stuff, and yep, she is very brave...i take it she's not in hiding or out of the country, The Dean...??

MM, xx
Hi MM,

Not sure where she is at this precise moment but she has family here..... if you follow me.......
Old Dec 12th 2007, 4:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Dean
Hi MM,

Not sure where she is at this precise moment but she has family here..... if you follow me.......
oh i do...and it makes me admire her even more...

MM, xx
Old Dec 12th 2007, 6:17 pm
Forum Regular

B.Geezer has much to be proud ofB.Geezer has much to be proud ofB.Geezer has much to be proud ofB.Geezer has much to be proud ofB.Geezer has much to be proud ofB.Geezer has much to be proud ofB.Geezer has much to be proud ofB.Geezer has much to be proud ofB.Geezer has much to be proud ofB.Geezer has much to be proud ofB.Geezer has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by The Dean
Speaking out like this is not encouraged over here..... nor is me cut-and-pasting it...... Aiyah is a research fellow and a freelance journo.....

On the Flogging of a Female Rape Victim
Aiyah Saihati, Arab News —

As some of you might know, something happened in Saudi Arabia sometime ago that captured much attention. A Saudi woman went out to meet a person she knew, who happened to be male. She found herself in a situation where seven men abducted her and her male companion and then proceeded to gang-rape the two abductees. Instead of only having her persecutors brought to justice, this woman, a victim of brutal rape, was treated like a criminal and sentenced.

Initially, the woman was sentenced to 90 lashes. When her lawyer appealed the sentence and spoke about the injustice of the situation to the media, her sentence was increased to six months in jail and 200 lashes.

I, as a Saudi woman, committed to my government and its equal treatment of all its citizens, refuse to accept that this will be the fate of this woman.

It is our collective responsibility, as concerned citizens of this great nation, and of the world, to eradicate the mindset and flaws in the system that allow such a miscarriage of justice to stand and cause a woman to be punished for an action of which she was the victim.
<<snip>>
Well spoken but I guess we will not be hearing from her again in the near future !!
Old Dec 12th 2007, 6:32 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.arabnews.com/?page=7&sect...12&m=12&y=2007
Old Dec 12th 2007, 6:38 pm
Forum Regular

B.Geezer has much to be proud ofB.Geezer has much to be proud ofB.Geezer has much to be proud ofB.Geezer has much to be proud ofB.Geezer has much to be proud ofB.Geezer has much to be proud ofB.Geezer has much to be proud ofB.Geezer has much to be proud ofB.Geezer has much to be proud ofB.Geezer has much to be proud ofB.Geezer has much to be proud of

A very well written article but.... she had better watch out !
Old Dec 12th 2007, 6:57 pm
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Eva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by B.Geezer
A very well written article but.... she had better watch out !

She'd better take care
Old Dec 12th 2007, 7:00 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Eva
She'd better take care
I feel a Xmas song coming on....