British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   I need a man (or woman) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/i-need-man-woman-743573/)

kittycat1 Jan 3rd 2012 8:47 am

I need a man (or woman)

Typical Dubai style; My Du internet socket is broken (the bit the pluggy bit goes into moves about so its hard to get the pluggy bit in properly) and is causing my internet connection to be somewhat crap. My landlord says its the responsibility of Du and Du says its my landlord- I don't care if I have to pay for it but does anyone know anyone? - I'm sure its only a 5 minute job so don't want to pay someone for a full hour (but can pay with out of date guiness/beer or some sewing) - I can't even work out how to get the socket off the wall as it has these funny buttony bits over the screw holes. Would I need a sparky or just an oddjob man and does anyone know anyone who isn't going to rip me off? or is anyone on here able to help? And where can I buy a socket so the guy doesn't have to come and tell me its broken and he has to go out for parts?

Anyone?

Oyibopeppeh Jan 3rd 2012 9:02 am

Re: I need a man (or woman)

When I was in ACE Festival City last week there was a bloke on a "mr fixit" display advertising all sorts of services from plumbing to sparky type stuff.

Sorry but the flyer he gave me is back at home.

auzdafluff Jan 3rd 2012 9:08 am

Originally Posted by Oyibopeppeh (Post 9817440)
When I was in ACE Festival City last week there was a bloke on a "mr fixit" display advertising all sorts of services from plumbing to sparky type stuff.

Sorry but the flyer he gave me is back at home.

I've used them before. They're very good, but they'd be quite expensive for fixing a socket. You'd be talking AED300.

I'd sort it for you, but I'm in the UK still at the mo.

Bahtatboy Jan 3rd 2012 9:11 am

I've got a servicable pluggy bit that's not doing much at the moment--it might well fit your socket. When would be convenient for me to pop round?

kittycat1 Jan 3rd 2012 9:30 am

Bahtatboy- Are you being serious or being rude?

Fluffy when are you back?

Meow Jan 3rd 2012 9:35 am

Originally Posted by kittycat1 (Post 9817419)
Typical Dubai style; My Du internet socket is broken (the bit the pluggy bit goes into moves about so its hard to get the pluggy bit in properly) and is causing my internet connection to be somewhat crap. My landlord says its the responsibility of Du and Du says its my landlord- I don't care if I have to pay for it but does anyone know anyone? - I'm sure its only a 5 minute job so don't want to pay someone for a full hour (but can pay with out of date guiness/beer or some sewing) - I can't even work out how to get the socket off the wall as it has these funny buttony bits over the screw holes. Would I need a sparky or just an oddjob man and does anyone know anyone who isn't going to rip me off? or is anyone on here able to help? And where can I buy a socket so the guy doesn't have to come and tell me its broken and he has to go out for parts?

Anyone?

Are there no maintenance chaps in your building that can help?

kittycat1 Jan 3rd 2012 10:08 am

Meow- nope only security who seemed to know about as much as I did. He did poke it with a hammer - even I knew that wouldn't work :blink:

zoukla Jan 3rd 2012 3:40 pm

:sneaky::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 9817456)
I've got a servicable pluggy bit that's not doing much at the moment--it might well fit your socket. When would be convenient for me to pop round?

auzdafluff Jan 3rd 2012 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by kittycat1 (Post 9817484)

I'm back 1am on Saturday. If it's still not sorted, let me know. :)

lullabelle Jan 3rd 2012 5:59 pm

Made me snigger:rofl:

Robajob Jan 4th 2012 6:59 am

I think I'd be in trouble with the missus if i told her I was going round to see another woman to fix her socket with my tools....

Boomhauer Jan 4th 2012 10:17 am

Originally Posted by kittycat1 (Post 9817484)

I re-read Bahtaboy's post from a cheeky perspective only after reading your reply kittycat1, cause the 1st time I read it, it didn't particularly stand out.:rofl:

Bahtatboy Jan 4th 2012 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by Boomhauer (Post 9819808)
I re-read Bahtaboy's post from a cheeky perspective only after reading your reply kittycat1, cause the 1st time I read it, it didn't particularly stand out.:rofl:

Don't go there.

josieforfun Nov 6th 2012 7:25 am

my husband is a techno genius and I''m very willing to lend him out. Feel free to hit on him mercilessly because it's hilarious to see him squirm.....he's so straight he wouldn't know how to respond

Irishbeekeeper Nov 6th 2012 9:09 am

Originally Posted by kittycat1 (Post 9817419)

Anyone?

hi
new here
am an IT guy but i am also against charging by the hour for a 5 minute job
take a snap of the thingamagic and post it either here or email it to me and ill tell you the cheapest way to either replace it or get it fixed
cheers