British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   I love Riyadh?!? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/i-love-riyadh-619866/)

edinburger Jul 13th 2009 12:57 pm

I love Riyadh?!?

I know I'm setting myself up for some abuse, but I'm wondering if anyone else really likes living in Riyadh or if I'm just plain odd? :confused:

Blue Cat Jul 13th 2009 1:09 pm

Re: I love Riyadh?!?

Originally Posted by edinburger (Post 7748299)
I know I'm setting myself up for some abuse, but I'm wondering if anyone else really likes living in Riyadh or if I'm just plain odd? :confused:

nope you are not alone, Alexa feels the same, she would move back there at the drop of a hat.

edinburger Jul 13th 2009 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 7748323)
nope you are not alone, Alexa feels the same, she would move back there at the drop of a hat.

Cheers BC!

Kenny and Moe Jul 17th 2009 11:26 am

Edinburger,
what do you do out there, I arrive next Wednesday
Regards Kenny

Blue Cat Jul 17th 2009 11:29 am

Originally Posted by Kenny and Moe (Post 7760790)
Edinburger,
Regards Kenny

he dreams of ham sandwiches .....

Spurss Jul 18th 2009 4:42 am

2 of my friends love to stay here and they renewed thier contracts at least you can save money in Riyadh .. :thumbup:

Roadking Jul 18th 2009 6:41 pm

No, it's just you, you're plain odd..or oddly plain?

The Dean Jul 19th 2009 3:48 am

Work-wise, it's the best place in the whole region (the Saudis are streets ahead of Emiratis, Kuwaitis, etc in terms of qualifications, professionalism, attitude, etc).

The lifestyle however is tough............ but you'll get used to it.

The desert winters can be chilly though......... scraping frost off your car windscreen on a January morning is a regular occurrence.

Spugsy Jul 19th 2009 8:14 am

What's good about it then? As previously said by myself, I'd rather iron my sack than go anywhere in Saudi.

edinburger Aug 3rd 2009 6:41 am

Originally Posted by Kenny and Moe (Post 7760790)
Edinburger,
Regards Kenny

Hi Kenny & Moe, you should be here now so welcome! I do consultancy for an mnc.

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 7760799)
he dreams of ham sandwiches .....

I've eaten my weight in swine over the last 2 weeks so hope that stops the cravings :unsure:

Originally Posted by Roadking (Post 7764113)
No, it's just you, you're plain odd..or oddly plain?

Both

Originally Posted by Spugsy (Post 7765057)
What's good about it then? As previously said by myself, I'd rather iron my sack than go anywhere in Saudi.

To compare it with life in Edinburgh I would say that the locals and expats are more freindly here than in Edinburgh.
The sun is always shining which doesnt happen much at home.
I have a 3 bed villa with a swimming pool 12 feet from my door.
I have a maid and a driver, never had that in the UK and never will.
I make a minimum 3-4 times my salary and save 10 times more than I did in the UK.
I probably have a better social life here than back home, we always have a pool party and BBQs at my compound or my friends compounds at least twice a week and during the week pretty much eat out every day.
There are no women drivers (only joking....honest!)
Most of the above are pretty material reasons and I probably sound quite sad for detailing them, but I've never really had such a good lifestyle like this in the UK, so I really do appreciate it now I have it.

LofA Aug 3rd 2009 7:00 pm

Before I came to Riyadh an expat said to me "keep your expectations low and you will be pleasently surprised". The key to life in Riyadh is a good compound, if you have that then you have a chance. Come with a positive attitude and you will enjoy your stay.

Kenny and Moe Aug 4th 2009 4:35 pm

Been here two weeks tomorrow, live on a great compound and settling in nicely. We are definately going to enjoy it. Already ventured into the desert and have a night at the embassy tomorrow.:thumbup:
regards Kenny

kellieb Aug 4th 2009 6:52 pm

Have been in Riyadh for one month now (2nd time here) , I am nursing at one of the major hospitals here. So us nurses live on a female only compound so would love to get out and meet some others. But love Riyadh.

The Dean Aug 4th 2009 7:13 pm

Originally Posted by kellieb (Post 7812573)
Have been in Riyadh for one month now (2nd time here) , I am nursing at one of the major hospitals here. So us nurses live on a female only compound so would love to get out and meet some others. But love Riyadh.

Weekend in Bahrain?

edinburger Aug 5th 2009 5:41 am

Originally Posted by Kenny and Moe (Post 7812272)
Been here two weeks tomorrow, live on a great compound and settling in nicely. We are definately going to enjoy it. Already ventured into the desert and have a night at the embassy tomorrow.:thumbup:
regards Kenny

I'm heading to the embassy tonight also....Pub Night :thumbup: