British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   I know this is petty but.....catfood (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/i-know-petty-but-catfood-653767/)

Spugsy Feb 8th 2010 4:52 pm

I know this is petty but.....catfood

Ok went to our local shop here at Disco Gardens and got the cat a load of catfood, got it home and he wouldn't touch it, it was all sloppy and horrible, anyway I checked and it was out of date.

So went back a few days later and ALL their catfood is out of date, like 6 months or so - I couldn't be arsed arguing with the guys as they can barely understand me at the best of times (I once asked for 'dumpling mix' and have gave me a packet of custard powder).

So I went to Geant at Ibn Battuta Mall, big massive supermarket place, looked there and ALL of theirs is out of date as well.

Now obviously where it's coming from is all old stock, same as the little shop but I'm not really keen on feeding Santi 6 month out of date food.

I know this is a really stupid question but......is there anyone I could complain about this to??

:confused:

Eva Feb 8th 2010 5:10 pm

Re: I know this is petty but.....catfood

Originally Posted by Spugsy (Post 8323669)
Ok went to our local shop here at Disco Gardens and got the cat a load of catfood, got it home and he wouldn't touch it, it was all sloppy and horrible, anyway I checked and it was out of date.

So went back a few days later and ALL their catfood is out of date, like 6 months or so - I couldn't be arsed arguing with the guys as they can barely understand me at the best of times (I once asked for 'dumpling mix' and have gave me a packet of custard powder).

So I went to Geant at Ibn Battuta Mall, big massive supermarket place, looked there and ALL of theirs is out of date as well.

Now obviously where it's coming from is all old stock, same as the little shop but I'm not really keen on feeding Santi 6 month out of date food.

I know this is a really stupid question but......is there anyone I could complain about this to??

Well not being punny...'Meow'.
She will know who to complain to or maybe even write about it in her
column in The National.Purrfectly legit complaint imho.

Jeeper Feb 8th 2010 5:17 pm

I asked our local shop if they had any string.....he directed me to industrial sized rope.

Eva Feb 8th 2010 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by Jeeper (Post 8323756)
I asked our local shop if they had any string.....he directed me to industrial sized rope.

Well,s'pose it is in a way & shopkeeper maybe prone to exaggeration.Egyptian?
Texan maybe...

Jeeper Feb 8th 2010 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by Eva (Post 8323777)
Well,s'pose it is in a way & shopkeeper maybe prone to exaggeration.Egyptian?
Texan maybe...

He didn't know what string was and my explanation by use of speaking louder and lots of hand gestures probably didn't help much.

Spugsy - write a letter to 7days. That solves everything.

Spugsy Feb 8th 2010 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by Eva (Post 8323741)
Well not being punny...'Meow'.
She will know who to complain to or maybe even write about it in her
column in The National.Purrfectly legit complaint imho.

she's on holiday, oddly enough staying in the same room that me and mrs spugsy stayed in in sri lanka over xmas.

But I shall ask when she gets back.

Spugsy Feb 8th 2010 5:46 pm

Originally Posted by Jeeper (Post 8323756)

this is the best, a little indian place in al mizhar, I went in and asked for catfood, they all speak arabic but not a single word of the queens, so I (wait for it) did a cat impression, make my hands into ears and went 'MEOW!'.

And he brought me a tin of dogfood.

Jesus.

Spugsy Feb 8th 2010 5:46 pm

Originally Posted by Jeeper (Post 8323787)
He didn't know what string was and my explanation by use of speaking louder and lots of hand gestures probably didn't help much.

Spugsy - write a letter to 7days. That solves everything.

good idea actually, any old shite gets in there...

Eva Feb 8th 2010 5:58 pm

Originally Posted by Spugsy (Post 8323837)
she's on holiday, oddly enough staying in the same room that me and mrs spugsy stayed in in sri lanka over xmas.

But I shall ask when she gets back.

How bizarre or did you recommend?
Hope ye haven't left any crusty kegs:ohmy:

Anonindubai Feb 8th 2010 6:35 pm

Are you sure that you are looking at the expiry date? They appear to be big on 'produced dates' here. In Spinneys the packaged meat has a produced date - which means the date it went into the polystyrene (sp?) and cling film -helpful!

Spugsy Feb 8th 2010 6:40 pm

Originally Posted by Eva (Post 8323903)
How bizarre or did you recommend?
Hope ye haven't left any crusty kegs:ohmy:

yeah I recommended, they emailed and mentioned me and they put them in our old room.

Spugsy Feb 8th 2010 6:41 pm

Originally Posted by Anonindubai (Post 8323998)
Are you sure that you are looking at the expiry date? They appear to be big on 'produced dates' here. In Spinneys the packaged meat has a produced date - which means the date it went into the polystyrene (sp?) and cling film -helpful!

nah not on the catfood mate, I checked it online.

benzonar Feb 8th 2010 8:04 pm

This is one of my concerns about bringing my cats over, the dearth of decent quality cat food. I really don't want to be feeding them any of that carb laden shite, or the Katdonalds stuff produced by Whiskas (4% meat for a carnivore).

In the UK we buy Applaws but I doubt you'd find that over here. May have to resort to a natural diet and feed them chicken, rabbit, lamb and Mynah birds.

lionheart Feb 9th 2010 3:28 am

Why pay Dhs5+ per tin for Whiskas cat food when you can pay Dhs2.70 per tin for Simba dog food, which is almost as good. For some reason, cat food over here is grossly over-priced. Our visiting stray loves her plate of Simba and chicken bones.

Hello.Kitty Feb 9th 2010 3:32 am

I know this is waaay daft and I should really know better by now, but did you speak to customer services at Geant?

Anyhow, I'll take a peek in the Waitrose in Marina Mall and my local AlMaya for you.

Alternatively, you could go down the minced chicken route - it's pretty cheap here... combine it with crunchy bits or if you're really feeling keen, cook it in a thick gravy (no salt).