British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   I know this isn't expat woman but ...... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/i-know-isnt-expat-woman-but-806658/)

silversilver Aug 20th 2013 8:38 pm

I know this isn't expat woman but ......

Ok help needed I'm in the process of moving into my new apartment but one of my windows is huge - 330cm x 330 cm. Unfortunately too large for Ikea curtains. Has anybody had curtains made that they are happy with but paid a reasonable price? Do not want to pay a lot for a pair of curtains.

kittycat1 Aug 21st 2013 4:02 am

Re: I know this isn't expat woman but ......

Speak to Tockalosh, he is the resident curtain expert!

scrubbedexpat141 Aug 21st 2013 4:45 am

Originally Posted by silversilver (Post 10860773)
Ok help needed I'm in the process of moving into my new apartment but one of my windows is huge - 330cm x 330 cm. Unfortunately too large for Ikea curtains. Has anybody had curtains made that they are happy with but paid a reasonable price? Do not want to pay a lot for a pair of curtains.

Not even with one of their extendable rails?

Brains1983 Aug 21st 2013 4:46 am

There's all manner of beef curtains available in Bur Dubai, but 330x330 is big even for there...

scrubbedexpat141 Aug 21st 2013 4:50 am

Originally Posted by Brains1983 (Post 10861289)
There's all manner of beef curtains available in Bur Dubai, but 330x330 is big even for there...

But do they have venison drapes?

Meow Aug 21st 2013 6:08 am

silversilver, ignore the innappropriate responses above. It's like a 13 year old boy's dorm here sometimes.

There are numerous places on Plant Street in Satwa who will make curtains for you. The cost mainly depends on the fabric you choose. I usually use Sense Furnishings.

Patsy Stoned Aug 21st 2013 6:58 am

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 10861361)
Saff, ignore the innappropriate responses above. It's like a 13 year old boy's dorm here sometimes.

There are numerous places on Plant Street in Satwa who will make curtains for you. The cost mainly depends on the fabric you choose. I usually use Sense Furnishings.

It is silversilver who is asking darling :D

Meow Aug 21st 2013 7:16 am

Originally Posted by Patsy Stoned (Post 10861410)
It is silversilver who is asking darling :D

Noted, but my comments stand...

scrubbedexpat141 Aug 21st 2013 7:27 am

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 10861432)
Noted, but my comments stand...

Slightly miffed I don't get credit for helping first and then cracking jokes. It's the perfect blend.

Blue Cat Aug 21st 2013 7:47 am

Silver there is a small curtain shop a few doors down from the Chelsea Ramada Hotel which is pretty handy for you. I haven't used them yet but am planning to do so for the upstairs landing. (two years here and still no curtain)

Sandboy Aug 21st 2013 8:48 am

you can tell it's not EW or the correct answer would be get the maid to do it

scot47 Aug 21st 2013 11:12 am

Tockaloch is into Interior Design ? A suspect activity for a male ! Does he also do women's hairdressing ?

Bahtatboy Aug 21st 2013 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by scot47 (Post 10861758)
Tockaloch is into Interior Design ? A suspect activity for a male ! Does he also do women's hairdressing ?

I've heard he sports a neat Brazilian. Oh, hang on, was that someone else?

AppleMac Aug 21st 2013 3:10 pm

I dont know anyone who has been disappointed with what they have had made at Dragon mart

mikewot Aug 21st 2013 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by silversilver (Post 10860773)

Take a picture, print it out, write the window dimensions on it, go to dragonmart entrance HA or HB, find curtains you like, give them the picture, they'll work out the cost for the correct size and ask if you want rings or hooks, do you want blackout on the back (80% or 100%), do you want tie backs & wall hooks, do you need poles, what colour and design, do you want chiffon (nets). Then you tell them you want their little man to fit them and ask for the best price, then negotiate down. Couple of days later they'll be ready (unless you pay extra to have them done that day), go get them and the little man, load up your vehicle, take them home, watch little man fit them, take little man home or pay for his taxi. Job jobbed.

Dubaiexile Aug 22nd 2013 11:53 am

Originally Posted by mikewot (Post 10862319)
Take a picture, print it out, write the window dimensions on it, go to dragonmart entrance HA or HB, find curtains you like, give them the picture, they'll work out the cost for the correct size and ask if you want rings or hooks, do you want blackout on the back (80% or 100%), do you want tie backs & wall hooks, do you need poles, what colour and design, do you want chiffon (nets). Then you tell them you want their little man to fit them and ask for the best price, then negotiate down. Couple of days later they'll be ready (unless you pay extra to have them done that day), go get them and the little man, load up your vehicle, take them home, watch little man fit them, take little man home or pay for his taxi. Job jobbed.

Correct, done it myself...easy peasy lemon squeezy

Tockalosh Aug 22nd 2013 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by kittycat1 (Post 10861251)
Speak to Tockalosh, he is the resident curtain expert!

I am indeed now the Lawrence L Bowen of Arabian Ranches

Only 4000 dhs a day to sort out your drapery dramas

You would be amazed what I can do with your curtains, especially if they have been neglected and in need of a touch up

silversilver Aug 23rd 2013 10:17 pm

And this is exactly why I love the BE forum -a sprinkling of sarcastic humour, a few cheeky wee random comments but always some great advice - off to try Dragonmart tomorrow - I mean how difficult cant it be to get a pair of cream curtains with blackout lining? - no pelmet, frills or pattern required. I don't even require the services of the interior designer of the ranches 'Tockalosh'
Muchas gracias everybody